No announcement yet.

About to start SAFD Fire Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally dont think the cancer rate for firefighters is much more than the general population. You have to realize that there is a lot of politics involved in health hazard claims both from Local 624.and IAFF. You take care of yourself and use all your protective gear and you will be as safe as joe the plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
      So I am two weeks into the academy. It's been a long two weeks. Something I have learned about that I wasn't aware of is the problem of cancer in fire fighters. Many of the instructors who are 20+ year vets talk about watching several friends wither away to cancer. It gets talked about almost daily. I hate to be a chicken about it but it is really concerning to me.
      24 year vet here....

Here's some advice on the cancer issue. Yes it hits FFs more than the general population (per capita). I don't have the data source with me but I can get it. Here is a great video to watch. I've worked side by side with all of these people...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Use your SCBA at ALL times... dumpster fires, car fires, house fires, and especially during overhaul. The old guys are gonna talk crap but it's because they know you are doing right... stick to your guns. Our rookies are now the change agents in our Dept.

Wash your gear religiously! The dirty helmet and gear was a "badge of honor" when I came on. NOT anymore! Keep your gear clean. It prevents the spread of carcinogens.

After every fire, SHOWER ASAP. Get that crap off of you! Start the decon process on the way back to the station, use wipes, wet towels, etc.

Eat right, exercise, and do a yearly physical. IF something pops up, it's better to catch it early.

I'm not gonna lie, it's eye opening and scary. But there is a lot of research being done and culture change is happening. Educate yourself and most importantly.... protect yourself! What we do isn't a job....it's a great CAREER! Embrace it and enjoy it!

Comment

Good luck. Stay positive.

Comment

...what they said-and get an extra nomex hood or two. Switch em out after each fire and get em washed. Gloves too. Clean your face piece and headband of your helmet after each fire as well. Pretty much anything with direct skin contact-keep it clean! Best of luck to ya and "Welcome to the Fire!"

Comment

From what im told if you made it through the first week the rest is cake.. I didn't go through the "new" SAFD academy so I cant say but we have a few rookies at our station that say it can be a little over the top. It wasn't like that when I got in but if you keep your head up and you'll be fine. Remember its not like that out in the field.. A word of advice when you do finally make it out in the field. I was at 9's (the "animal house" that Cap Walker is talking about) when I first came out and that is where I was taught and learned the 3 rules all rookies should learn when the get into the field.
            1- Never let your officer do more work than you,
            2- never complain about doing work,(especially at a fire),
            3- Don't be lazy. Always be the first to get up and do the dishes, wash the motor...learn everything anyone will teach you..
            Follow those rules and you be fine.. its the best job in the world... Good luck brother.. welcome aboard...

Comment

Originally posted by redhoghunter View Post
              24 year vet here....

Here's some advice on the cancer issue. Yes it hits FFs more than the general population (per capita). I don't have the data source with me but I can get it. Here is a great video to watch. I've worked side by side with all of these people...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Use your SCBA at ALL times... dumpster fires, car fires, house fires, and especially during overhaul. The old guys are gonna talk crap but it's because they know you are doing right... stick to your guns. Our rookies are now the change agents in our Dept.

Wash your gear religiously! The dirty helmet and gear was a "badge of honor" when I came on. NOT anymore! Keep your gear clean. It prevents the spread of carcinogens.

After every fire, SHOWER ASAP. Get that crap off of you! Start the decon process on the way back to the station, use wipes, wet towels, etc.

Eat right, exercise, and do a yearly physical. IF something pops up, it's better to catch it early.

I'm not gonna lie, it's eye opening and scary. But there is a lot of research being done and culture change is happening. Educate yourself and most importantly.... protect yourself! What we do isn't a job....it's a great CAREER! Embrace it and enjoy it!
              Ditto to all of this. If you even have to think about it, GO ON AIR. I get made fun of by the old dogs all the time but I’ve seen enough people in my family die of cancer that weren’t in the fire service, I don’t want to chance it. After a fire take a good long hot shower and get clean. We are starting to get saunas that are awesome to sit in after fires.

Comment

I can echo what the other guys have said. It is definitely the greatest job on the world. Try to enjoy every part of fire academy. It all goes by very quickly. The three rules firehot mentioned are gold. I will also add that you should call everyone Sir and Ma'am until you are told not to. I just made Division Chief this week and I was still cleaning dishes and bathrooms this week. Don't forget that you're never too good to do the station chores. Enjoy your time and be safe.
                Last edited by Djwilliams; 02-02-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. Your insight is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
                    Do what your told, be respectful, follow orders and all will be fine. The one's that seem to have a problem are the one's that are clowns or know it alls. Good Luck you will enjoy it.
                    X2

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                      It's funny how I see multiple guys on here saying the academy was "fun." You won't find many (if any) cops saying the academy was fun. And, you can be sure they've taken the fun out of the job.
                      Maybe you should make a change 😂😂😂 I have been through both and fire is fun compared to PD. Its the good life👍👍

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
                          Do what your told, be respectful, follow orders and all will be fine. The one's that seem to have a problem are the one's that are clowns or know it alls. Good Luck you will enjoy it.
                          That's not true

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            I personally dont think the cancer rate for firefighters is much more than the general population. You have to realize that there is a lot of politics involved in health hazard claims both from Local 624.and IAFF. You take care of yourself and use all your protective gear and you will be as safe as joe the plumber.
                            Your clueless if you think that.

Comment

Dang I would be working at Walmart if that was all I could find after watching that video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X