No announcement yet.

Remington core locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quit using them years ago due to the lack of performance on elk when at long range. Put six rounds of 7mm 175 grain at 400 yards in a 4" circle before the elk went down. That's ridiculous to to have to shoot an animal that many times. I now use Barnes X and get tighter groups and awesome down range kills. Since changing I haven't had to shoot anything more than once. Just to clarify for the finger pointers yes I can shoot so thats not the problem.

Comment

First deer was taken out of a .270 with Core-Lokts. No real issue, except for shooter anticipation of the shot (Flinch). I'd say a good alternative would be the Hornady American Whitetail in 139gn, or the 150gn ELX Precision hunters...If you're willing to pay a little more per box.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
        Hornady whitetail loads work great for my 7-08.
        I really liked them too, until I had 2 misfires in a lot. Switched to silvertips after that.

Comment

100gr core lokts for my Remmy 700 243, shoot just fine. Shot a good sized 3yo doe 2 weeks ago with in, lung shot with entrance and exit, blew nice hole in the ribs.

My rifle absolutely does not like any Winchester ammo (never had a rifle that did), doesn’t like Federal either but it does like Hornady SSTs, and I do too but their easy $10 more a box.

My AR likes Federal fusions though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
            How did we get from coreloks to that rant!!! Someone is just looking for a fight.
            Not looking for a fight, just stating facts. Remington honesty and QC problems are across the board, Ammo and firearms. Sometimes you get a good one or batch sometimes you don't is all I am saying. Some of my favorite rifles are Remington but they are also older rifles pre buy out.
            Last edited by kmon; 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              Not looking for a fight, just stating facts. Remington honesty and QC problems are across the board, Ammo and firearms. Sometimes you get a good one or batch sometimes you don't is all I am saying. Some of my favorite rifles are Remington but they are also older rifles pre buy out.

I’ve always wondered how quality can go downhill, then after lots of commotion about the quality it continues. Thankfully my Remmy 700 is a BDL made in 84!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Growing up I only shot the core-lokt bullets. They shot great both .270 and 30-06. Plus they were pretty cheap. I have killed a lot of animals with those bullets. Then I started having problems with both accuracy and expansion. They didn't shoot as well as they once had. I also had several instances of an critter being shot with these bullets and having no blood trail at all. with the same type of scenario with my brother and a couple of buddies shooting something and having no blood trail I switched ammo. No more green and yellow boxes for me.

Comment

I'd rather pay about the price and shoot Nosler AccuBonds or Hornady SSTs. In 6.8SPC for some reason Remington thinks they can sell CLs at over $1.50 an under-powered round.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I used search tool and stumbled across this thread, I too have been disappointed in performance of corelokt bullets. I am shooting 150’s out of a .308sps. I have shot two doe his year and neither had a drop of blood. I have also had accuracy issues I can’t seen to shoot better than 2” @100. Does anyone have a recommendation on another hunting round that might improve blood/accuracy issues. I have toyed with the Drt rounds out of .223 and have been impressed but have not yet put me through anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                      I used search tool and stumbled across this thread, I too have been disappointed in performance of corelokt bullets. I am shooting 150’s out of a .308sps. I have shot two doe his year and neither had a drop of blood. I have also had accuracy issues I can’t seen to shoot better than 2” @100. Does anyone have a recommendation on another hunting round that might improve blood/accuracy issues. I have toyed with the Drt rounds out of .223 and have been impressed but have not yet put me through anything else.
                      What caliber? Do you reload?

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post

If you reload you might try Hornady Interlocks. In my experience they are softer than a Corelokt and may give better expansion. Penetration from a 308 won’t be any issue. You might also consider Sierra ProHunters or GameKings.

I had the same experience you mentioned with 150gr Corelokt from a 300 win mag. Shot two spikes and both took off like they hadn’t been shot. Both went over 100yds and neither left any blood trail for the first 50-75yds. However in the 30-06 the Corelokt is still my preferred bullet. It is cheap, plenty accurate for the distance capability of the 30-06, and I have yet to have an animal take a step after being hit by one.

Comment

I will go out on a limb and say ..Core lokt have killed more game than any other factory load.........I used factory loads tell I started reloading 40y ago and I still buy core lokt bullets in bulk and reload them..I tried and like a bunch of high dollar bullets out there

Comment

I had severe accurancy issues with CoreLokts. Like one shot would be bullseye, next would be 12-14” high. Got to where I was second guessing my equipment that I have never had a issue with. Had this issue out of a particular lot of ammo and ended up getting rid of the two boxes I had. Got a couple new boxes and not issues as of yet, but my confidence in them are definitely suspect.

.30-06 150gr SP

Comment

I used Core Locs in my 270 for years. I stopped using them due to hitting deer perfectly and them running off like Id missed. After extensive searching in some cases, all were found dead within 100 yards but had little to no blood trail. Switched to Winchester Ballistic tips and all deer shot have been DRT or within found within 30 yards with an great blood trail.

Comment

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                                I used Core Locs in my 270 for years. I stopped using them due to hitting deer perfectly and them running off like Id missed. After extensive searching in some cases, all were found dead within 100 yards but had little to no blood trail. Switched to Winchester Ballistic tips and all deer shot have been DRT or within found within 30 yards with an great blood trail.
                                Exactly the issue I am having, I shot at a deer earlier this year and found no sign of blood, I grid searched and never found an animal or blood. After shooting two more deer shock I recovered without a blood trail it makes me question whether the first was really a miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X