Deer lease set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer lease set-up

I did a quick search and didn't find anything, so if it has been discussed in the past I apologize.

What have y'all done as far as how your lease was ran that you liked and disliked. Example would be community feeders, community stands or each person has their own feeder and stand, how did you handle the cost of feeding protein. Things such as that. Just want to get ideas of what has worked as well as things that haven't worked so that we don't make the same mistakes.

Thank you much

No Community stands....it's like communism, there's always one dude that benefits from the hard work of others. Find your own spot, set up your own feeder (if that's how you hunt), fill said feeder, set your stands....but always come help on "work weekend".

Comment

It's a very simple thing, but we keep a log in the cabin where we record who was hunting, when they were hunting, what they saw and/or shot, brief notes that might be useful to others on the lease - example: location where the edge of a road is collapsing.

We also use the log to indicate where we saw a particular buck, and if we want to put "dibs" on it.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
        No Community stands....it's like communism, there's always one dude that benefits from the hard work of others. Find your own spot, set up your own feeder (if that's how you hunt), fill said feeder, set your stands....but always come help on "work weekend".
        Agreed, those few always tell me I can hunt their areas. I'm guessing in the hopes I would let them hunt mine. We have one community blind but no feeder for that reason.

Comment

It depends on the group. If you fill the lease with the right people, community stands work great. If you just fill the lease with the first people who will write a check, then it won't work.

Comment

I have never had issues with having a mix of personal stands and community stands, people got first dibs on their one stand but it wasn't uncommon to have people all over the place. we had at least twice as many stands as people hunting most of the time and that definitely helped.

As far ar feeding, everyone chipped in an equal amount and our neighbor and ranch "foreman" kept everything filled for us

Comment

My group had always done community stands with no problems. We do have some guys who are very busy and don't get time to help as often but that's fine with those of us who do a lot of the work. We get to set up stands in all the areas we like and still get to hunt them. Nothing about sitting in the same stand all season long seeing same animals over and over appeals to me and my group. We split all the corn and protein evenly between everyone so not an issue there.

Comment

Designated primary stands with a few community for a change of scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  It depends on the group. If you fill the lease with the right people, community stands work great. If you just fill the lease with the first people who will write a check, then it won't work.

We switched to community stands and feed and such a couple of years ago.

It works for our group but not for most.

Comment

With our lease, everyone had their own set up that they maintain. We then have 2 community spots set up to give everyone a change of scenery. Works well for us, as guests can have a place to sit too sometimes if a primary hunter doesnt call dibs. Everyone feeds cottonseed at their own discretion, but we have a central protein feeder that the group keeps going.

For the community spots, everyone chips in on "camp funds" and these funds are used not only to buy essentials in camp, but to keep community feeders filled too.

Comment

Like mentioned above, who is in the group is a big deal. We have a group of 5 and we are a mix of family and life long friends so compromise is pretty easy in most cases. We each have our own stands and feeders but maintain responsibility for the place as a whole, for instance "Hey Scott, your feeder wasn't throwing, you might want to check it" doesn't fly, we maintain each others things unless big dollars are involved..

The question is usually asked each morning "Where do you want to hunt today?" we usually hunt our own but change it up quite a bit.

We have one community feeder and stand that we usually "hunt" with multiple people and mostly talk and drink and not really hunt..

We factor in cost of corn and protein in our yearly pot based on previous year averages and have one of the guys maintain that money any purchasing.

A key to success for us is that we constantly talk and spitball ideas and thoughts and we don't take ourselves too seriously. We all also work pretty dang hard because we are so invested in it.

One issue that has kinda come up is not giving fair enough warning when taking family up during hunting season because our house is not the biggest

Comment

We just split costs and work evenly... Then we Hunt where we want. We have enough stands and feeders throughout the lease to accommodate each paying hunter (kids excluded).

No issues, work is work. Everyone chips in, makes for a happy camp and good fun!

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post

This.

Comment

We have a designated personal stand for each, as well as few other stands as community or shared stands. This can work if you can get the right group together as some have stated in above post. You got to get rules established early and have everyone contributing for labor and cost. Have a few dates before season set for filling feeders and maintenance, as well what date for everyone to pay their part of lease cost for lease

Remember as some stated in earlier post find the right people to join your lease that's probably your best starting point to having a great lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post

We switched to community stands and feed and such a couple of years ago.

It works for our group but not for most.
                              This is what we do. Good conversation every night amongst friends where everybody is going to hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X