No announcement yet.

Where was your first deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was fortunate enough to hunt two leases as a kid: one off highway 16 between priddy and goldthwaite; the other in Robert Lee. Together they cost my dad $1025. The good ole days.

Goldthwaite was by far my favorite. It was on 2500ac with 3 ponds. There was a huge open pasture by the campsite. The pastures were covered in quail. The ponds were filled with bass. Deer and turkey were everywhere. During dove season, the sky around the ponds were swarmed with grey clouds. There were always ducks but I didn't know anything about hunting them at the time. The only wild pigs I knew about were in "Old Yeller". I shot my first deer and my first buck there.

Robert Lee was interesting in its own ways. We were near the lake but I'm not sure in which direction. We hunted at the base of a huge plateau. The morning and evening views were absolutely gorgeous. Occasionally there was even snow.

I only hope my kids can have a similar experience.

Comment

Zapata county

Comment

Between Crockett and Lovelady / Houston County

Comment

Fall Creek Road, off 71 between Bee Caves and highway 281 intersection. Absolutely beautiful piece of property. Would pay the $800 lease fee (the price it was 10-15 years ago) just to have access to it and not hunt. Legitimate 30' waterfall on the place.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
            Freestone county with the late, great Jimmy Brown of Teague. Hunted there for about 12 years. Still miss the Jimmy and the lease.

-john

The last lease we had was from the late great Jimmy Brown in Freestone Co. if memory serves me.

Comment

Bowie in Montague County.

Comment

First lease I was on was 740 acres southeast of Maydelle when I was 11. In three years there I killed 2 bucks. With roads on three sides we hunted on the weekends and locals hunted during the week. We stayed in the old house and had some good times there hunting with my Dad and Uncle. 38 years later the old house is still there with the chain link fencing on the front window we put there.

We then hunted for several years on the Jessup ranch between Barksdale and Rocksprings with my other uncle. Lot of great memories there as well. I looked on satellite and there is now a house where my uncle's feeder was located in a back canyon.

Haven't been on a lease in many years and all of the men I hunted with are now dead or can't really hunt anymore. Miss the times spent with these men.

Comment

Indian Gap, Texas Hamilton county

Comment

Lovelady Tx, still hunt there today.

Comment

Where was your first deer lease

Stillman Wall's place near Burnet
                      Last edited by Skinny; 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

1994, between magnolia and plantersville tx. $200 per year. no water or electric. slept in the back of my truck. 4 of us were on it. i knew one of the guys thru work. never met or ever saw the other two. lease had 3 ponds all full of bass.saw a bunch of deer. never shot anything. caught a bunch of bass and shot a ton of squirrels. man i miss that place.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullfrog90 View Post
                          Water Valley in Tom Green co. we would go and stay for a week at a time. Some of my fondest childhood memories were made there with my dad, papaw and uncles. And to this day it was the most game rich place I have ever stepped foot on.
                          Back in the mid 70.s we had a lease on the Dave Smith ranch out of Water Valley. It as also was a game rich environment. As good as I have ever hunted.

Comment

We hunted a litte place between Wimberly and Dripping Springs. Killed alot of deer there growing up. Started hunting there when I was about 11. We still hunt that same piece of property now 30 years later. I killed my 1st deer there, my wife killed her first deer there, and my son killed his first deer there...all from the same stand. Hope to have my grandson kill his first deer there also. I love that place!

Comment

Ebro, Florida - 60,000 acres across from a hole in the wall diner and a greyhound race track. Best times of my life.

Comment

My dad had a lease on a place in Menard county, between Menard and Junction off 1773. We were on there for 13 or 14 years. I was roughly 6yo when we got on the place and we had lots of fun. I lived for the weekends and couldn't wait to get down there. I have so many great memories from that lease with dad. Although it wasn't that long ago, I miss it. I'm 26 now and had and last year had an opportunity to buy a piece of property off the Llano river in Junction so it's close enough!

Comment

Working...
                                X