high wind and pulling a travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high wind and pulling a travel trailer

This wind today got me thinking, what is the highest wind you've ever pulled a travel trailer? Was it 5th wheel or pull behind?

I know when you're driving it gets a 60+ mph wind against it but what about cross wind. What is safe and what isn't?

BTW - thinking of buying my first trailer soon. It will be a pull behind. This wind today has me thinking about it.

I jumped out of a C130 with winds of 19. Crazy for sure. Went out over the trees and landed perfectly on the DZ, ruck and all

Comment

What is safe and what isn't?

ABSOLUTELY SAFE!

HIGHLY RISKY - BORDERING ON INSANITY!

Comment

I've seen trailers blown over in a 65+mph wind on i25 in Wyoming around Casper. This was a straight line wind with gusts of 80mph. The next day with a 55-60mph wind none were blown over but all were leaning bad. I would not have pulled a trailer either day. This was on a north/south rode with west wind.

Comment

Seeing this thread reminded me of this thread, scary stuff for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
            I've seen trailers blown over in a 65+mph wind on i25 in Wyoming around Casper. This was a straight line wind with gusts of 80mph. The next day with a 55-60mph wind none were blown over but all were leaning bad. I would not have pulled a trailer either day. This was on a north/south rode with west wind.
            That pass heading into casper is bad all the time when pulling a trailer. Ive never had a more severe pucker factor in my life. But to the original question alot of it depends on your truck and the profile of youre trailer. I know if im catching a severe wind on the side of my trailer ( 40 to 50 mph ) im going to pull over and ride it out. Even if you dont tip over it will destroy your awning and make youre sky lights pop open and rip off.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
              That pass heading into casper is bad all the time when pulling a trailer. Ive never had a more severe pucker factor in my life. But to the original question alot of it depends on your truck and the profile of youre trailer. I know if im catching a severe wind on the side of my trailer ( 40 to 50 mph ) im going to pull over and ride it out. Even if you dont tip over it will destroy your awning and make youre sky lights pop open and rip off.
              I know (and hate) that stretch of road!

50 mph gusts are about my limit - that's with a 5th and a dually.....

plus it just sucks down the fuel.

Comment

Somewhere around 2004, going to Port Aransas, headed east/SE from San Antonio, into the very edge of a tropical storm. At least it into the wind, not cross-wise.

Comment

just make sure it is below this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4rbd0Zfwg"]Strong Winds Blowing Semi-Truck of Road! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Just had an 18 wheeler blow over on toll 130 near Austin. Crazy wind.

Comment

Saw one laid over on I20 today between midland and Odessa. 1 ton dodge with a appx. 28 ft bumper pull. Chain held up and the trucks back tires were 2ft off the pavement. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                        Saw one laid over on I20 today between midland and Odessa. 1 ton dodge with a appx. 28 ft bumper pull. Chain held up and the trucks back tires were 2ft off the pavement. Crazy!
                        Just heard about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                          But to the original question alot of it depends on your truck and the profile of youre trailer.
                          This is key to the question. BIG truck and small trailer is not the same as small truck and BIG trailer. A friend of mine has a 34 foot bumper pull. He usually drives a F350 with a Powerstroke diesel. But they have 4 kids, so when the whole family goes, he pulls it with his wife's Cadillac Escalade. He said it's positively scary on some passes in Colorado when towing with the Escalade. Occasionally, I tow a 10' enclosed cargo trailer with my F250. I can forget it's back there, but that's because I'm towing it with a relatively lot of vehicle.

Does that help?

LWD

Comment

Look up a "Denson" post and see what cross winds/whirlwinds will do to a Tahoe and 31' tongue pull trailer. Probably not the best to pull that trailer with, but he got lucky and survived the aftermath. I have personally pulled a 33' 5th wheel in 50+ winds, but fortunately into the winds at a very low speed.

Comment

Basically, it's safe until it isnt.

You have to be the judge of it. Maybe it will pull fine in a 30 mph cross wind, or maybe you wont be able to hold it on the road.

If it gets to swayin' slow down and find a place to exit.

Comment

Working...
                              X