Spooky at Best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spooky at Best

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but if true, it is scary at best.

Ouch!

Comment

Well, pictures don't lie, but the unknown factor is the ammo, as well as whether the barrel was aftermarket, and the quality of same. I shot a badly overcharged cartridge in my G22 a few years ago, don't know if it was a double or not, but it definately was overcharged. Kicked much more, was much louder, the mag dropped out, and there was a chunk of brass out of the case. Those were bulk reloads bought at a gun show. No more of that for me !

I used to have a Dillon progressive loader and it would throw double charges if you screwed up and got out of sequence. I fired one of those in a Colt King Cobra with no ill effects. It kicked like a .44 but held together. Stout revolver ! Sold that loader too. All my loads are done on a single stage press now where I can visually check cases before seating bullets. Not too big a deal with a max load of 2400, but it could be life changing with Unique or similar powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Well, pictures don't lie, but the unknown factor is the ammo, as well as whether the barrel was aftermarket, and the quality of same. I shot a badly overcharged cartridge in my G22 a few years ago, don't know if it was a double or not, but it definately was overcharged. Kicked much more, was much louder, the mag dropped out, and there was a chunk of brass out of the case. Those were bulk reloads bought at a gun show. No more of that for me !

I used to have a Dillon progressive loader and it would throw double charges if you screwed up and got out of sequence. I fired one of those in a Colt King Cobra with no ill effects. It kicked like a .44 but held together. Stout revolver ! Sold that loader too. All my loads are done on a single stage press now where I can visually check cases before seating bullets. Not too big a deal with a max load of 2400, but it could be life changing with Unique or similar powder.
        Absolutely spot-on. I was shooting my S&W M1917 revolver in .45ACP and was in the rapid fire mode--bang, bang, bang, pop, bang--WTH? Cylinder wouldn't turn. Obviously one of my handloads didn't have a propellant charge in it and the primer drove the bullet into the forcing cone far enough and the next full-charge round just pushed both the projectiles on out the tube. Only damage I could find was a slight belling of the forcing cone, enough to bind the cylinder. That one became a wall-hanger and taught me a most valuable lesson--check each charge with a good light, which you stressed very well.

Here's another example of a problem caused by ammo (and a loose nut on the trigger). You can shoot a .270 Win in a 7mm Rem Mag rifle. No damage to either the rifle or shooter either. Lesson learned here--only one gun, one ammo on the shooting bench at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Absolutely spot-on. I was shooting my S&W M1917 revolver in .45ACP and was in the rapid fire mode--bang, bang, bang, pop, bang--WTH? Cylinder wouldn't turn. Obviously one of my handloads didn't have a propellant charge in it and the primer drove the bullet into the forcing cone far enough and the next full-charge round just pushed both the projectiles on out the tube. Only damage I could find was a slight belling of the forcing cone, enough to bind the cylinder. That one became a wall-hanger and taught me a most valuable lesson--check each charge with a good light, which you stressed very well.

Here's another example of a problem caused by ammo (and a loose nut on the trigger). You can shoot a .270 Win in a 7mm Rem Mag rifle. No damage to either the rifle or shooter either. Lesson learned here--only one gun, one ammo on the shooting bench at a time.

That's taking " fire forming " to the limit !

Comment

With the number Glocks out there I see these results as being terribly short sighted in all the "whys" of how and why an accident happens. He speculated more than once that it could have been over charged handloads but didn't really know. And just to clarify, I'm not a Glock owner but wouldn't hesitate to buy and shoot one.

I too have seen what happens when you load a 270 in a 7 mag rifle. A relative went out hunting one morning grabbing his trusty 7 mag. When he got to the lease, he grabbed some bullets from the cup holder of his truck, they were 270 win and looked similar when done. He was luck, he was hit with minor blow back which resulted in a trip to the ER to remove debris, no permanent damage.

Comment

This is also why I only use powders that throw at 90% capacity or more.......a double charge will not fit!!!!!!!!

I also only load one at a time.

Comment

NEVER buy re-loads at a gun show!!! My TBH son found this out the hard way with 10mm re-loads and he learned...never again. IMO of course!!

Comment

I use a progressive, but I go slow and look in each case. It's still a lot faster than single stage, but it'd frustrate a real progressive reloader that really cranks them out.

Sometimes I use and RCBS powder checker.

Comment

All ammo issues, not Glock issues.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                      I use a progressive, but I go slow and look in each case. It's still a lot faster than single stage, but it'd frustrate a real progressive reloader that really cranks them out.

Sometimes I use and RCBS powder checker.
                      I have a light positioned directly over my bullet seating station. I do a visual prior to placing the bullet by hand. Doesn't slow me down but a second or two. I load on a cheap Lee Pro1000, and it was bad about NOT charging a case until I made a few tweaks to it.

Comment

A double charge can happen with any press. As long as the operator takes precautions, all will go well.

Comment

This is why you don't mod a firearm on the cheap!

Comment

Yikes! That helps settle the decision on buying from bulk reload companies. Not worth saving a little change when there is a chance of this!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              Yikes! That helps settle the decision on buying from bulk reload companies. Not worth saving a little change when there is a chance of this!
                              I have seen it happen with factory loads as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X