No announcement yet.

Gus Engeling Archery Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunted compartment 11 the last to years. Hunt the white oaks.

Comment

Gus Engeling Compartments

Thanks, I guess you never know what you'll see till you're there. I'm going regardless, too many times of not getting drawn. It's a big place and it's spike/antlerless hunt, so not worried too much on passing up a shot. Some of the compartments are quite open (cleared) like #20, #3, #4, and #9...Anyone hunt those? I walked #1, #2 and #8 and #9. Saw plenty of hog sign and a few deer tracks.
      One thing I learned on the phone is that they will try to assign compartments according to the size of your group, but they do let you put in your preference for a compartment before they assign you one.

Comment

The compartments are also assigned according to how big your hunting party is and what type of vehicle you have. Some are only accessible with 4 WD.

Comment

They will also put you in a compartment with another group or hunter! Last year they had maps and you submit your top 3 choices and they try to accommodate based off group size and compartment size. I was in a compartment by myself but it was 80% flooded. I saw hogs walking out, no deer but there were tracks all over. Tough hunt but I enjoyed it and was very happy to get drawn again this year. My tip: sit all day, but I believe that to be true at every drawn hunt location. You can't see / shoot something if you aren't there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
            Yea, it sucks real bad.

lololollol

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
              Yea, it sucks real bad.

Rifle hunt, not archery. I've hunted alot of different WMA's across the state and GE has been the toughest place, hunted it several times - all rifle hunts and only one doe harvested, on every hunt there were 60+ hunters and always less than 10 deer brought in (mostly does and spike only recall 2 hunts were a mature buck was brought in). Some of these were 5 day hunts, one of the hunts the entire field blanked. I went because I don't live too far from there, no way I would drive across the state to hunt there though, too tough.
              Last edited by bossbowman; 10-17-2016, 07:43 AM.

Comment

ttt Compartments for climbing stand???

Comment

There are trees everywhere out there, although I don't remember seeing a lot of smooth pine trees.

Comment

Anyone get a final count on the # off deer taken off Gus this year?, believe they just had their last rifle hunt of the season.

Comment

Working...
                    X