Deer Repellant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Repellant?

So dry in hill country, deer getting into flower beds and eating flowers and plants. We used to spray some stuff around the plants that smelled like rotten eggs. Cant remember what it was called. Stunk terrible, but it worked great. Anyone know the name or use anything to keep them off, at least a little? Maybe a home remedy? Already tried the cayenne pepper, didnt deter. Tried the coyote pee. Works a little. Any hints?

Only thing you can do is landscape with plants they will eat less. You will find out they will eat about anything you plant, but some stuff they eat a lot more than other.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
      Only thing you can do is landscape with plants they will eat less. You will find out they will eat about anything you plant, but some stuff they eat a lot more than other.
      This...we learned our lesson the hard way. Lost a lot of money in landscaping until we found shrubs/flowers that the deer won't eat.

We have an apple tree that they like to eat the lower leaves off of. I do spread repel-all around it every month or so. It seems to work for the most part.

Comment

pet mountain lion

Comment

My wife uses hair from the beauty salon in her flower beds she has to add more about every 2 weeks.
          It works about 10% of the time maybe lol

Comment

The Hill country has lots of rock from what I’ve seen and been told. You need to remove the food source and the deer will move on. Good luck picking up all that pea sized gravel.

Comment

These work for us and we have been using them for 15 years. http://a.co/e7sLmuF
              I don't know if it is the sound they make or that the deer are getting wet when it isn't raining that keeps them away. But they work!

Comment

A tree stand or a blind has always worked for me. I put one up and deer never come around again.

Comment

Run a hot wire temporarily, and the deer will learn to stay away. Maybe try some motion sensors that set off an alarm. Or motion activated water sprinklers

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my wildflowers. Got this home brew on line. 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1 liter of water. I added a touch of Lemon grass oil. Because of the Lemon grass oil I don't spray it directly on the plants. I took and strung a cotton fiber cord around the plants and spray the mixture on that. They ate the Standing Cypress before I had the cord up but once I put the cord up they have left them alone. I ran into a lady that used some of the sprays that you apply directly on the plant and swore by it. Feed stores might carry it or easy to find online. She said you have to reapply it after it rains-which we don't have to worry about. Hope this helps

Comment

I have been using this for 7 yrs.

DEER SPRAY
                      1 egg
                      12 cup of milk
                      1 Tbsp. Canola cooking oil
                      1 Tbsp. dish detergent
                      1 gallon of water (16cups)

 Beat egg and milk together
                       Add cooking oil and detergent, mix well
                       Add mixture to water and shake well
                      Spray flowers & shrubs
                      Should last for a couple weeks
                      Best to reapply every 3 or 4 days or after a rain. I also add a tbs. or two of clove and cinnamon!
                      I spray more around flows as some will wilt if sprayed. Test before using flowers!
                      Last edited by White Falcon; 06-21-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Some of my flowers around the house.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dogs?

Comment

Working...
                          X