Backhoe reach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backhoe reach?

Need some help from you guys knowledgeable in heavy equipment. I am going to dig a boat slip into the bank of our lake. Will start digging at the bank and move in 30 ft. Basically I need to dig a 12ft x 25ft hole 8 foot deep. My question is what is the typical reach of a Backhoe? Will a backhoe have enough reach to dig this or will I need an excavator?

There are extended reach machines as well. I would think track hoe would be best. Have to see what is available for rent.

Comment

I don’t think a back hoe will reach 30 ft...so I googled it. I was right.

http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specific...&modelid=91936

Edit: if there is water, then no. If no water, then yes?
      Last edited by Shinesintx; 08-20-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

The problem with using a rubber tire backhoe digging that hole is piling up your dirt. You’ll be better off with a track excavator. That way you’ll be able to spin around and put your dirt behind you or load it straight on to a truck behind you. Wouldn’t have to be a big machine to dig that size of a hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You won’t need an extended hoe for that. I just dug a 20x40ft hole 8ft deep at my wife’s grandmothers house who passed away recently. We were cleaning up the place and we needed a place to get rid of all the junk. I never used the extension while digging.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            I don’t think a back hoe will reach 30 ft...so I googled it. I was right.

http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specific...&modelid=91936

He doesn’t need to reach out 30 feet. Start at the edge of the bank and move in 30 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
              He doesn’t need to reach out 30 feet. Start at the edge of the bank and move in 30 ft.

Is there water? I envisioned there being water. The move in part confused me.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                Need some help from you guys knowledgeable in heavy equipment. I am going to dig a boat slip into the bank of our lake. Will start digging at the bank and move in 30 ft. Basically I need to dig a 12ft x 25ft hole 8 foot deep. My question is what is the typical reach of a Backhoe? Will a backhoe have enough reach to dig this or will I need an excavator?
                8’ at the deepest when you are farthest from the water? And that will be 8’ below existing grade which is the slope of the bank?

If the answers to those are yes, then a backhoe will be fine if you start at the water and dig into the bank. You are gonna have to stop to move your spoils and it will take longer than with a small excavator, but you can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  8’ at the deepest when you are farthest from the water? And that will be 8’ below existing grade which is the slope of the bank?

If the answers to those are yes, then a backhoe will be fine if you start at the water and dig into the bank. You are gonna have to stop to move your spoils and it will take longer than with a small excavator, but you can do it.
                  Correct 8 foot at the deepest....need five foot of water in the slip plus 3 feet of bank at the furthest away from waters edge. Thanks everyone sounds like backhoe can do it as I plan to have my tractor moving spoils while I dig it.

Comment

Working...
                  X