Pond Stocking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pond Stocking Question

I have a family pond, approximately 1 acre in size but pretty deep, I've been given permission to stock fish in for my kids. ( going with channel cats, fathead minnows, and a variety of brim). Our local pond stocking company delivers to certain areas on certain dates and the next available time is the first week of June up here in northeast Texas. By that time I'm sure we will be dying in the Texas heat of summer.
    With that being said has anyone personally had issues stocking their pond during warm summer weather or heared of issues ? Like fish dying etc... don't want to waste my money and I'm sure the stocking company wants to make money so they will probably sell them regardless. I hate to think that way but everyone has to pay bills from time to time.

Any help is appreciated!

we always stocked ours in the fall or spring. I would start with Minnows and brim/perch. then catfish. I would try and stay away from crappie as they will take it over and eat your minnow population. Just when we think we have them out of our pond the are back in full force. We get ours from a place in college station and we transport them to our ponds if that is an option to you

Comment

With those fish June shouldn't be a problem. Acclimate them to the water before releasing them.

Comment

Make sure ya throw a few tires around the edge..
        Just under the water......
        Minnows love to lay eggs in'em....

Comment

They will be fine. You said it was a deep pond. If the surface water is too hot they will find a comfortable depth. I've stocked mine in the fall and spring. I have a friend that did his in July, and didn't have any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            With those fish June shouldn't be a problem. Acclimate them to the water before releasing them.
            ^^^^ this. I've stocked my 1/3 acre pond twice and both times were successful. I only stocked it the 2nd time because we lost all of our fish in the flooding after Hurricane Harvey. I'd suggest adding some largemouth bass fingerlings, as well. It's enjoyable and rewarding, watching your oversized aquarium come to life!

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
              we always stocked ours in the fall or spring. I would start with Minnows and brim/perch. then catfish. I would try and stay away from crappie as they will take it over and eat your minnow population. Just when we think we have them out of our pond the are back in full force. We get ours from a place in college station and we transport them to our ponds if that is an option to you

A deep one acre pond may be ok for a few crappie to be stocked. But only black crappie as they wont produce the amount of eggs white crappie do. At least thats what i have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

unless you already have an established bait fish population the fatheads will be a waste of you money - the other fish will wipe them out quickly. Fatheads are good if you also have a variety of copper nose, etc.

For kids the best fishing is to have a feeder on the pond for your bluegill - they will grow quickly and great fun for the kids

go to www.pondboss.com and get on the forum - absolutely the best info you can find on ponds and fish - great people and experts on anything pond related
                Last edited by TKK; 05-01-2018, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I put 20 bass in my 1/2 acre pond and 50 in my 2 acre about 2 weeks ago they are doing fine. its not 100 plus out yet but still.

Comment

You should have no problems.....as mentioned get them acclimated. Leave the fish in the delivery bags and set the bags into the pond until the water in the bag equalizes with the water in the pond.

Comment

Is this a new or existing pond? How old? What are kind and size fish in there now?

Comment

How far is the drive from pickup point to your pond. The heat is hard on them! Pm me if you’d like.

Comment

Working...
                        X