Teacher strikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
    Because it has been taken over by liberal minded individuals and they will never fully fund their activities or ideology.
    Most positive thing I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      It doesn't seem like you do, since you said, teachers only work 3/4 of the year and continue to get paid after they stop working.
      I know what I said. Teachers don't work 12 months out of the year. They continue to get paid in the form of a pension after they stop working. Once again..and?

Comment

I do work 12 months out of the year, I am a teacher, but my cows do not take days off. Sometimes I do not get paid for their efforts, but I keep taking care of them in hopes that they will become productive. Kind of like my kids in class if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
          I know what I said. Teachers don't work 12 months out of the year. They continue to get paid in the form of a pension after they stop working. Once again..and?

I would reccomend you soften your stance, or at least your delivery, when discussing this topic with the future Mrs Throwin Darts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now, didn't mention "Pension" in your post did you? And....it's not very much. Do you have a 401k that you will be paid after you stop working?

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              A big reason I am all for canceling all school related athletics. Cut the waste and expense you are talking about.
              I will quote our ISD Superintendent, "High School athletics is the single most effective drop out prevention program people are afraid to discuss" The data is out there, kids involved in school sponsored extra curricular activities are less likely to drop out.

Comment

This "Pension" of which you speak is the equivalent of Social Security.

Same amounts put away and teachers in almost all districts do not pay into Social Security, therefore they do not get it, or their spousal death benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                  I will quote our ISD Superintendent, "High School athletics is the single most effective drop out prevention program people are afraid to discuss" The data is out there, kids involved in school sponsored extra curricular activities are less likely to drop out.
                  And we need 70 Million stadiums to do this?

The price tag of one Texas school district’s high school football stadium and events center just ballooned to $70 million, making it the most expensive in the United States.

I think not. We could accomplish all those goals and fund athletics at 10% of the current level.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                    And we need 70 Million stadiums to do this?

The price tag of one Texas school district’s high school football stadium and events center just ballooned to $70 million, making it the most expensive in the United States.

I think not. We could accomplish all those goals and fund athletics at 10% of the current level.
                    No we don't, but those multi million dollar stadiums are paid for by the tax payers via bond elections. (The stadium we play in is as basic as any small town hill country stadium you see on the side of the road.) The people that live in that community voted for it.
                    Schools don't pay for them.

"Katy voters in 2014 approved the construction as part of a whopping $748 million bond that will pay for new schools for a district of 74,000 students that's growing at a rate of 2,000 students a year."
                    Last edited by .270; 04-20-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

The only way a $70,000,000 stadium is being built is with passage of a bond. At least 50.1% of the people that actually have the initiative to get out and vote vote in favor of it. This money can't be used for anything but infrastructure.

Comment

The bashing of the edcators in this thread is beyond me. I've been in education for 17 years. I have seen good and bad times. I'm running for County commissioner in my precinct for many reasons.

1. I'm tired of having to play the PC game with people like the ones bashing us on here.
                        2. While I know I'm having an impact on up to 270 young minds a year, I feel I can do more from a political office.
                        3. Schools and counties are woefully underfunded. They get their funds from the same pockets.

What happened to the millions of dollars that the lottery was supposed to bring in. What's the hold up on gambling? Indians are getting rich off of us. We need to broaden our thinking when it comes to funding education.

Someone has made mention of vouchers and private schools. Definition of private school--- A place where you can be born and graduate in the same semester. Vouchers, ha!!! Which private school are the kids from Van Horn, Marfa, Siera Blanca, or even rural central Texas going to go to. The only ones that will benefit are the rich ones who drive a new car and can afford the gas to drive 50 miles for school. Then we will be left with more of the low SES meth crazed masses without the upper level kids to average out the scores. Private schools do not have to follow the same set of rules as public schools. This can be both an advantage and disadvantage. Not as much red tape but also no one to make sure they are meeting a set of standards.

It all looks good on paper or from behind a keyboard. Get in the trenches before you start making suggestions.
                        Last edited by Hornet Hunter; 04-20-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Best wishes Hornet. Anytime you hear a politician, of which you are now, making promises, run away.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
                            The only way a $70,000,000 stadium is being built is with passage of a bond. At least 50.1% of the people that actually have the initiative to get out and vote vote in favor of it. This money can't be used for anything but infrastructure.
                            True statement, but let's be honest. A lot of these bonds aren't even voted on during a normal election cycle. Heck, sometimes they hold voting sessions to be during the week of district school open houses, etc.

Let's also note that they "package" these bonds with other school improvements that may actually be needed; although, it's an all or nothing deal on these athletic improvements.

Oh and Katy actually voted down the initial bond on that new stadium. It wasn't until the bond was repackaged and put back up to vote; more than likely at a very convenient time for district employees and school parents to be present to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
                              The bashing of the edcators in this thread is beyond me. I've been in education for 17 years. I have seen good and bad times. I'm running for County commissioner in my precinct for many reasons.

1. I'm tired of having to play the PC game with people like the ones bashing us on here.
                              2. While I know I'm having an impact on up to 270 young minds a year, I feel I can do more from a political office.
                              3. Schools and counties are woefully underfunded. They get their funds from the same pockets.

What happened to the millions of dollars that the lottery was supposed to bring in. What's the hold up on gambling? Indians are getting rich off of us. We need to broaden our thinking when it comes to funding education.

Someone has made mention of vouchers and private schools. Definition of private school--- A place where you can be born and graduate in the same semester. Vouchers, ha!!! Which private school are the kids from Van Horn, Marfa, Siera Blanca, or even rural central Texas going to go to. The only ones that will benefit are the rich ones who drive a new car and can afford the gas to drive 50 miles for school. Then we will be left with more of the low SES meth crazed masses without the upper level kids to average out the scores.

It all looks good on paper or from behind a keyboard. Get in the trenches before you start making suggestions.
                              Yup, it's shocking. I've learned that most folks bitching about teachers don't know a thing about it. Wait until we get a Johnny made a bad grade and it's obviously the teachers fault thread. They are comical.

Comment

Most business have a 401K, some sort of retirement and Social Security which is not much but do not act like no one has anything after they retire except teachers!

Comment

Working...
                                X