suggestions for a caribou Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggestions for a caribou Hunt

My father recently told me that he was getting too old to get around in the woods like so I would like to set up a caribou hunt for that is the one that always drinks on going I would love to take the caribou with my traditional archery equipment was just wondering if anyone had any suggestion. Does anyone have a good outfitter or know where is the best place to go

My friend, I have only hunted caribou twice and I am going on my third this fall so I by all means am not a expert. I can tell you that caribou hunting can be very hard with lots of walking and enduring sometimes terrible weather.

With that said I booked a hunt with Alaskan Gold Rush Adventures. This is a semi guided hunt. You will hunt out of airboats limiting most of the walking. Also you will ambush the caribou as they cross the river which is your best chance to kill a bou with your bow.

I am taking my bow and the outfitter is confident that I will have shot opportunities.
    Check them out on the internet and good luck.

Comment

Thank you for your advice text text sentence with them in the past

Comment

good luck sound like a great trip!

Comment

I hunted with Henik Lake Adventures last fall. I did not end up shooting one, but I will be going back in 2017. I am told there was not as many Caribou as normal, which made it a little tougher hunting. I could have easily killed with a rifle, but I was committed to a bow hunt. Here is their website.

We’ve enjoyed a 100% success rate on both our spring and fall hunts for the past 12 years with almost 85% of Muskox making book. We've also held the SCI World record for the past 6 years. Musk Ox Hunts

Jack Humme in Quebec has a pretty strong following on bowsite. That would be the other place I would consider. Supposedly they will put you in the most productive areas.

Caribou are a migratory animal, so it can be feast of famine. I was visiting with a guy at my deer lease who hunted the same herd as me in the 90's. He said it wasn't even sporting there were so many around.....well that was not the case when I was hunting. They got pretty hard to find by the end of the week.
          Last edited by Kdog; 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Dont set your expectations at what you see on tv. Most that book hunts for caribou dont get to see the height of the migration. The one time I went, the 10 guys get on the float plan we were getting off of, told us to shoot any caribou we saw. Those 10 guys had 20 tags as or group did. They had 3 caribou for their group. We had to hunt hard but our group managed to tag out with some seriously good ones taken. Good luck to you on your hunt. I used Northwest Adventures for my hunt.

Comment

Bowhuntersaffariconsultants anyone hear of them

Comment

^ ^Yes, that is a good route to go too. The guy I was paired up with on my caribou hunt does hunts through them. I believe several on here have as well.

Comment

Bou is one of my dream animals!!!

Bisch

Comment

I've hunted caribou twice on DIY hunts in Alaska. I haven't taken one with my longbow, but have taken one with my rifle. Both times I hunted the Mulchatna herd. The Mulchatna herd is way down in numbers so is not a good candidate for a hunt. Walking on the tundra is the toughest walking you'll ever do.

Comment

Still looking for hunting advice for caribou Canada or Alaska thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by little john View Post
                        Bowhuntersaffariconsultants anyone hear of them
                        BSC is a good route to go. I have used Neil Summers a couple times and he has (for the most part) been very helpful.

Comment

Were you successful on your hunt and when did you use them?

Comment

Working...
                          X