Taxidermy/shoulder mount care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxidermy/shoulder mount care

Does anyone do anything to their shoulder mounts other than occasional dusting? I just moved a few mounts that have been up 10+ years, and they’re showing a little age. A taxidermist once told me to follow dusting with a cloth wetted with showsheen for horses.

Following

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
          Does anyone do anything to their shoulder mounts other than occasional dusting? I just moved a few mounts that have been up 10+ years, and they’re showing a little age. A taxidermist once told me to follow dusting with a cloth wetted with showsheen for horses.
          That's what I apply to my customers mounts before they go out the door. So I would say yes

Comment

I'm interested in this as well. I usually just dust them and every so often I wipe them down with a damp cloth. I have some that are 15+ years old that still look great.

Comment

I remember someone saying there is a spray for sheep mounts because there are certain bugs that can ruin the hide.

I’m not much help outside of that but following.

Comment

Alcohol and a q-tip to clean the eyes.

Take a can of pledged , spray on a rag and wipe down.

You can also take a small wire brush and brush em out.

Comment

Just now saw this. I just use an air hose on all of mine about once a year. Sometimes will use a SLIGHTLY damp cloth if I don't think the air got enough. And see note below:

Originally posted by bowhunter247 View Post

No offense...but do not do this. Alcohol can/will remove the paint around the eyes, or anywhere else it comes in contact. And pledge can cause dust to build up and over time the hair can get kinda nasty. For the brush, just use a regular bristle brush. Wire brush can scratch any painted areas.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                    Why do you say they are showing their age? Hair fading, ears/eyes cracking etc? I've had mounts 30+ yrs that look the same today as they did when mounted. If any of the above is happening, then there might be other issues. Most "faded" mounts I see are the result of several environmental factors. Too much direct sunlight, exposure to smoke, in a non-climate controlled area.
                    if you are more specific, then better recommendation could be made. Maybe even a pic or two of the mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                      Why do you say they are showing their age? Hair fading, ears/eyes cracking etc? I've had mounts 30+ yrs that look the same today as they did when mounted. If any of the above is happening, then there might be other issues. Most "faded" mounts I see are the result of several environmental factors. Too much direct sunlight, exposure to smoke, in a non-climate controlled area.
                      if you are more specific, then better recommendation could be made. Maybe even a pic or two of the mounts.
                      I'll try and get some pics later. My oldest deer (16 yrs) seems to be fading a bit and my corsican ram (13 yrs) looks to be losing a little hair on the face and neck/shoulder. Not much, but noticeable since new.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter247 View Post

0-3 on this one. Don't do any of this to your shoulder mounts. Listen to Chance.

Comment

UV light is not your friend..
                          Keep them far away from windows of any kind at all times..
                          Fluorescent lights will fade one in a hurry also.
                          If you have hair falling out on old mounts, you have bugs.. Probably moths.

You can brush them lighty. Heck I use a wire brush on fresh mounts that are dry all the time. Have for years. It helps with with cleaning and is great for tick removal.. If your skins are tanned correctly, and dry, there will be no problems.
                          Last edited by PondPopper; 07-29-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            UV light is not your friend..
                            Keep them far away from windows of any kind at all times..
                            Fluorescent lights will fade one in a hurry also.
                            If you have hair falling out on old mounts, you have bugs.. Probably moths.

You can brush them lighty. Heck I use a wire brush on fresh mounts that are dry all the time. Have for years. It helps with with cleaning and is great for tick removal.. If your skins are tanned correctly, and dry, there will be no problems.
                            Unless he gets that wire brush on a painted surface...

Comment

I just use a power washer with the 20 degree nozzle.

It makes a helluva mess, in the house, but the tile floors dry within a day.

The couches take a bit longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X