No announcement yet.

Ever made a big change in life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a 21 year old Vietnam veteran left my hometown with $5 in my pocket. Figured I could be broke anyplace might as well be someplace warm. Didn't intend to but ended up in Texas. Turned out okay.

Comment

Oh yeah.....

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      Yep, retirement is great.
      I've made "several" changes in careers and if it was not for the MEDICARE/SS BS when I retired this past November, I would be totally elated in my choice! "One learns as they go since information comes when you are clueless in the Government process."

Started out of college as an LEO, then cross trained as a tactical paramedic, then pharmaceutical sales, then Biotech sales...then back to what I truly enjoyed in Real Estate/Land sales. I made more $$ the final portion of my work career without ALL the BS of working with unprofessional/absolutely STUPID management. But, it took some time to figure out what made me smile at the end of the day. It was all on me and my production as to my income...however, I did have medical benefits with the land company I was with so even income based on commission, it was tolerable and in the end worked out again, great!

$$ pay the bills, but the environment in which you work can make not only YOU miserable, but contributes to destroying families, relationships, etc.

Takes a LOT of soul searching and how long you can "hold on" to meet your financial responsibilities but the end result can many times make you wonder why it took so long to be happy!

HAPPY and MOTIVATED to face the next day is what it ultimately boils down to. Good for you to ask...you've taken that first step to "living and not just existing" day to day!!

Comment

What if you screwed up and shouldn’t have jumped?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          What if you screwed up and shouldn’t have jumped?

I know the question was for the OP but for me, that has yet to be determined! Only time will tell, then it will be too late. Nobody wants to hire a guy who has owned a shop.

Comment

Three times in my 46 years.

-In 1992 my wife and I (then girlfriend) moved from PA to Alabama because at the time jobs were very poor in PA. We moved back 2 years later.
            -In 2008 after back surgery #2 I decided to go back to school at 38 because I could no longer do physical labor. That was scary.
            -In 2016 I accepted an engineer position with AA. In January 2017 I loaded up our car and headed off to Texas alone to start my new job. I lived in a hotel for a month until we closed on our house and moved my wife and our dogs/cat out here. I love Texas but after a 3rd back surgery and a very poor recovery we haven't had the chance to enjoy it nearly as much as we hoped.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Absolutely, some easier than others.

Comment

Retiring in two months.

Comment

Originally posted by aghntr10 View Post
                    yes, it can be tough. Not knowing how it will turn out. Will it make you "soft" or less of a man? What will your wife think? What if your kids find out? In the end you just have to take the plunge.

If i hadn't i still wouldn't know the joy of cottonelle wipes over toilet paper. :d
                    life changing!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X