Workplace pressure and problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
    Thats a pretty foolish statement. I feel sorry for your daughter that, according to you, she goes to a school everyday that doesnt teach her any "life skills". We teach numerous life skills everyday on my campus.

We are administering tests at my school today, as is everyone else. I try to make it as much like any other day of school as I can. No stress, no mess. I know I have great teachers and our kids will give us their best effort. When we get results back, we will look over them, make any adjustments we may need to make and roll on. We try to be as organized as we possibly can, so everything runs very smoothly and we knock it out and roll on.

Good luck to all educators, administrators, students, and parents with all the STAAR testing.

It's foolish to call my statement foolish when you know absolutely nothing about the school she attends, the teachers, her curriculum, or any aspect of her day. Sounds like you do a good job where you are though. Congrats to you, and keep up the good work.

Comment

Back when I was in school we had the TAKS. For those in advanced classes or even partially motivated regular kids it was a joke. We got used to being stuck in a room while little Johnny, who spent half his year being suspended, got 8 hours to not finish his exam. We had something called "end of course exams" that we took just for giggles one year. These tests were for students in advanced classes to see if you actually learned anything. Even the smartest kids failed miserably because we spent so much time going over basic things so little Johnny could pass. With so much focus on the TAKS, there just wasn't enough left in a day to really learn anything. That coupled with the fact that trade type classes were long forgotten by the time I was in high school pretty well sums up why a lot of kids these days are unprepared for life.
      Last edited by jdg13; 04-10-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
        I went to school before the staar test was a thing. Outside of athletics, I’m not really sure what life lessons I learned. My parents taught me a bunch of them though.
        Same here when I was in public school.

I attended private school where we learned how to balance a budget, and write checks. The school doesn't even teach kids cursive writing anymore. I learned in private school about stocks, bonds, savings, and things that will actually help a young person in the real world. Oh, we also learned English, Math, History, and Science.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Same here when I was in public school.

I attended private school where we learned how to balance a budget, and write checks. The school doesn't even teach kids cursive writing anymore. I learned in private school about stocks, bonds, savings, and things that will actually help a young person in the real world. Oh, we also learned English, Math, History, and Science.
          I agree with you on everything in the post so far except this one thing... Why the hell should they teach cursive writing?

Comment

It's foolish to call my statement foolish when you know absolutely nothing about the school she attends, the teachers, her curriculum, or any aspect of her day. Sounds like you do a good job where you are though. Congrats to you, and keep up the good work.
            In your foolish statement, you stated " Not a single life skill is taught in school anymore", which struck a chord with me because I like to feel that in my school we do teach some life skills. Anyrate, if you would have said "My daughters school does not teach any beneficial life skills", then I wouldnt have said a word and just felt sad for your daughter. Lots of folks hate on public schools and make broad statements that are usually not very accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              I agree with you on everything in the post so far except this one thing... Why the hell should they teach cursive writing?
              If you do not know how to read cursive you will not be able to read the constitution or the bill of rights and will be at the mercy of the "Translations".

I teach life lessons in my class every class I teach.

I do not teach to the test (my classes do not have them)

"TEKS" are the real bane. I hear all the time "It is not in the TEKS why do we need to cover it". Then I have to explain TEKS are the MINIMUM required material for a course.

Comment

my son is a freshman and took the Pre SAT and scored high enough where he does not have to take the Star. So he is happy about that..

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  In your foolish statement, you stated " Not a single life skill is taught in school anymore", which struck a chord with me because I like to feel that in my school we do teach some life skills. Anyrate, if you would have said "My daughters school does not teach any beneficial life skills", then I wouldnt have said a word and just felt sad for your daughter. Lots of folks hate on public schools and make broad statements that are usually not very accurate.
                  I should have said her school. Maybe we have different definitions of life skills. In any case public schools should do a much better job of preparing kids to live in the real world, and in a real economy. Everyone doesn't get a trophy in the business world. A lot of time and money is spent on this one test. IMO it is not money well spent

Comment

I didn't say they should. I just added that as an afterthought when I was commenting about learning how to use checks and balance budgets. If you don't know cursive you can't sign your name. I learned it in 3rd grade. Why not teach cursive at that grade level? At least they are learning something.

Comment

I didn't say they should. I just added that as an afterthought when I was commenting about learning how to use checks and balance budgets. If you don't know cursive you can't sign your name. I learned it in 3rd grade. Why not teach cursive at that grade level? At least they are learning something.
                      Because they are too busy teaching the Staar test in 3rd grade.

Comment

Because they are too busy teaching the Staar test in 3rd grade.

True

Comment

I should have said her school. Maybe we have different definitions of life skills. In any case public schools should do a much better job of preparing kids to live in the real world, and in a real economy. Everyone doesn't get a trophy in the business world. A lot of time and money is spent on this one test. IMO it is not money well spent
                          Yep, kids today are definitely not taught how to deal with failures. That is the #1 world lesson every kid should learn, instead we protect them from it. Failure is a part of life, learn how to deal with it and overcome. Instead, we simply decided not to allow them to fail. So much knowledge lies in failure. Shame.

Comment

Ditto to all the above. Sad that school districts are saying that this is what they prepare all year for. Tax dollars being well used. BTW, public schools do a pretty darn good job. Lots of skills being taught. Passing the STAAR test should definitely not be one of them though.

Comment

My son looks forward to the STAAR Testing every year, FREE BREAKFAST @ MCDONALDS!!!! LOL, but my kids have never really stressed over the test. I know some teachers that do, and I definitely feel for them.

Comment

I hate the stupid test. With all the pressure that is all administration wants teachers doing is preparing kids for the test instead of really teaching them. My wife changed schools last year to get a 2nd grade job because she didn't want to be in a testing grade level. Found out this week that do to re-districting she will be moved back to 4th grade next year.
                                Just a slight correction it is not what the administrators want they are following the law.

The people to blame are your legislators both Republican and Democrats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X