Dove hunting in May you say?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
    Nice haul. My favorite invasive species by far.
    Axis and hogs top my list

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I answered you in Instagram too..

Look for a long square tipped tail on the Eurasians/ringers. Mourning dove have a single feather tip that looks like a point and flare like a triangle when they bank. Eurasians have a square tail and it’s a wide square with feathers all the same length when they bank or fly . This is the number one indicator in flight for us. Once you see it a few times actually looking for it, you can’t unsee it. It becomes second nature. Also the Eurasians fly like a slow drunk pigeon.

Eurasians:

Mourning:

Thanks for the visuals. Really helped.

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
        Pretty darn cool! Any feral pigeons flying around there? I’d bet they get thick as the Eurasians around the feedlots.

Yes sir but those dang things are smart.... we have killed a few for the years but once the first shot goes off they steer clear.

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
        Thanks for the visuals. Really helped.
        Sure thing. Jeff and I had to do the same type of research when we started several years ago. I get the same question every year so I just keep them handy. Good luck!

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        Nothing at all wrong with it it you did. I would. But if the feedlot has that base covered for you already, that's even better. Always good bird (dove, pheasant, quail) hunting next to a feedlot.
        Yes sir... but at 6 hours away we figure we wouldn’t make a difference and the feedlot is close enough we benefit from it.

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial.

Comment

Nice stack of ringers!

We've got some at a local Wally world here in town. Some are almost pigeon sized. Being city birds, they don't have may worries. And seldom leave the "Sam's feed lot".

Comment

It's hard to beat a good dove shoot. I'd honestly take Eurasian doves over Mourning Doves. Besides being easier to hit you can shoot more of them and there's more there to eat. After shooting at the fast ones it's a piece of cake hitting pigeons and Eurasian doves.

Comment

Question can you legally hunt eurasians and shoot them on the ground eating deer corn or flying around your feeder? On any given day there is between 50-100 of them on the ground eating corn under my feeder.

Comment

Oh and great idea fellas hunting them in between the regular hunting seasons!

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can hunt em anywhere even w bait. They are considered an invasive species not native to Texas. So no limits and no seasons apply. You just have to be careful picking em out in the sky from a regular dove.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                      Question can you legally hunt eurasians and shoot them on the ground eating deer corn or flying around your feeder? On any given day there is between 50-100 of them on the ground eating corn under my feeder.
                      With extreme prejudice

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats. Looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice pile!
                            First two I ever killed flew out of a barn where we parked.We'd just got permission from a farmer the day before.
                            He pulled up right before dark.Asked us if we'd had any luck,etc..Last thing he said was,"don't shoot my pet dove's,up at the barn"[emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks fellas for the good words!!

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post

Yes... you can bait and hunt over bait for the Eurasian doves only.

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                              Nice pile!
                              First two I ever killed flew out of a barn where we parked.We'd just got permission from a farmer the day before.
                              He pulled up right before dark.Asked us if we'd had any luck,etc..Last thing he said was,"don't shoot my pet dove's,up at the barn"[emoji50]

Oh hell[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Did he find out?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Thanks fellas for the good words!!

Yes... you can bait and hunt over bait for the Eurasian doves only.

Oh hell[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Did he find out?
                                Lol,I think he figured it out.He told my buddy Ray,"Dunno where my pair o' doves went"."Yall ain't very good shot's,but even you two could hit them big *******'s"[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X