Felons and firearms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felons and firearms.

I have a buddy that made a bad decision early on, and now, really wants to take his 9 year old nephew hunting.
    Can he take his nephew hunting while his nephew carries his .243 rifle?

I forgot to mention he is a convicted felon.

Comment

I don't know the definate answer to this, but I would have to say no if he can't legally be in possession of a firearm. If the nephew is 9 yrs old then he would be the responsible one for the firearm and his nephew.

Comment

Felon cannot possess a firearm for 5 years from release from confinement date. It could be interpreted as such in this circumstance since the child is only 9.

Comment

He can only possess a firearm in his residence and it has to be 5 years or later from his release from confinement OR parole.

Booked in several that thought that being out on parole meant they could own them again.

If he plead on 1-1-14 and was given 2 years he would not be able to possess until 1-1-2021

Comment

Originally posted by sog45 View Post
            Felon cannot possess a firearm for 5 years from release from confinement date. It could be interpreted as such in this circumstance since the child is only 9.
            A felon in the State of Texas may only possess a firearm in this case IF the entire firearm was sourced AND manufactured in TX. If even the metal in single bolt in that gun, or any other part no matter how small or inconsequential, was determined to be so much as sourced outside the TX state border, he is considered a felon in possession of a firearm and can be arrested on the spot.
            Last edited by Etxbuckman; 02-06-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Not a felon and never plan on being one but curious if that ever comes off. Or is it a lifetime of never owning firearms?

Comment

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
                He can only possess a firearm in his residence and it has to be 5 years or later from his release from confinement OR parole.

Booked in several that thought that being out on parole meant they could own them again.

If he plead on 1-1-14 and was given 2 years he would not be able to possess until 1-1-2021

This here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  A felon in the State of Texas may only possess a firearm in this case IF the entire firearm was sourced AND manufactured in TX. If the metal in single bolt in that gun, or any orher part no matter how small or inconsequential, was determined to be brought in to TX from so much as 1” outside the TX state line, he is considered a felon in possession of a firearm and can be arrested on the spot.

Where did you get this info?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    Not a felon and never plan on being one but curious if that ever comes off. Or is it a lifetime of never owning firearms?
                    Rights are restored by full pardon from the Governor only.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      A felon in the State of Texas may only possess a firearm in this case IF the entire firearm was sourced AND manufactured in TX. If even the metal in single bolt in that gun, or any other part no matter how small or inconsequential, was determined to be so much as sourced outside the TX state border, he is considered a felon in possession of a firearm and can be arrested on the spot.
                      Say what?? Been an officer for 25 years and never heard that. I guess I need to update my penal code.

Comment

All good information but I dont think anyone is actually answering the OP's question. It is an interesting one for sure. Something that never crossed my mind.....I mean if it isnt legal, how can a guy(convicted felon) ever take his kid hunting with a firearm? Forget the deer hunting, no small game hunting, no turtle shooting, no frog hunting at night, doesnt seem right.

Comment

Call the local police department or sheriff and explain the situation and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            All good information but I dont think anyone is actually answering the OP's question. It is an interesting one for sure. Something that never crossed my mind.....I mean if it isnt legal, how can a guy(convicted felon) ever take his kid hunting with a firearm? Forget the deer hunting, no small game hunting, no turtle shooting, no frog hunting at night, doesnt seem right.
                            Unfortunately the law was written to prevent life-long thugs from possessing a weapon. It does suck for those that have done their time and turned their life around.

Getting your record expunged or receiving a pardon is the only way I know of to be able to hunt with a firearm after a felony conviction.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              That's because it's not right, firearms rights should only be forfeited in violent cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X