Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last day to put in for New Mexico draw tags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in.

40% chance for non res to draw my first choice tag last year.

First time ever to put in for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in! Fingers crossed.

Comment

I’m in. Hunting Mulie’s in 5a on private hopefully I can put an arrow in one

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Probably before this time next month.
          They turned the bear and turkey draws in 8 days this year. Hopefully NM is going to draw quickly again.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
            Thanks. I hope it has not been around a long time as this is the first I have noticed it.

It's a chance.
            I think it started last year.

I'm 99.99% sure I'll have an archery deer tag this year, and put in for a high chance archery elk tag. Also put in for a OIL Oryx tag and 2 off range hunts. Hopefully I'll draw a tag or two. I blanked last year, and only pulled muzzleloader deer tags the two years before that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by quackadikt; 03-21-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Fingers crossed I get to be in the Gila come October.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                They turned the bear and turkey draws in 8 days this year. Hopefully NM is going to draw quickly again.
                It was a fast turn around last year. We shall see.

Comment

I feel like since everything is online now, there's really not much of a reason for it to take more than a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    I quit putting in 6 years ago when they changed the non-resident quota, my money goes elswhere.

I understand the sentiment, but if you don’t draw you’re only out the application fee so is it really all that much money going elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                      I understand the sentiment, but if you don’t draw you’re only out the application fee so is it really all that much money going elsewhere?

We only do non resident DIY, only 6 percent of the tags are alloted for this category, I think it used to be 22% of the tags went to non-residents prior to 2012. If you look a the # of tags they allot which isn't much the #'s just don't add up, just really not worth the time in applying anymore if your a non-resident and DIY especially. We drew mule deer archery/muzzleloader twice in the 2000's but after they changed the quota we have refused to offer up our application fee and will continue to do so. Greener pastures.
                      Last edited by bossbowman; 03-22-2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

There are still archery and muzzleloader hunts you could draw every year as a NR if you wanted to.

Comment

N

Comment

When I say archery/muzzloader I mean muzzleloader hunts you are allowed to use archery on if you want, didn't ever apply for any archery only areas. Do tell which ML units are guaranteed draws every year as a DIY non resident?, I would guess the hunting is pretty poor in those units if true.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              When I say archery/muzzloader I mean muzzleloader hunts you are allowed to use archery on if you want, didn't ever apply for any archery only areas. Do tell which units are guaranteed draws every year as a DIY non resident?, I would guess the hunting is pretty poor in those units if true.
                              Well, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to hunt with a bow on a muzzleloader hunt.

If you spend some time looking at draw odds, you can figure out which units you can draw every year. It might not be hunting unit 2 or 31 where deer are everywhere, but they are units that good bucks are killed in every year.

Comment

I've been putting in for the past two years in units with really low draw odds. This year I put in for 45 for Mule Deer. Looks to be close to a 100% odds. It's also supposed to be very tough hunt. We'll see.

I'd love to hunt elk but honestly, I'm not brave enough to strike out solo my first time for elk. I figure DIY, out of state for mule deer should be a good experience. Maybe next year I'll get after the elk.

Comment

Working...
                                X