No announcement yet.

Brisket mixed in deer grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the fattest untrimmed packer style brisket I can find when i make my venison burger

Comment

We just use beef fat, around 10%. Its really cheap too

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        I cube/chunk up my deer meat and my brisket. I mix the chunks together and then grind. It’s not all that hard to shove a piece or two of deer meat down the throat then a chunk or two of brisket. Repeat. If I think I need to mix more after the grind, I will divide the grind into smaller batches to make mixing easier and more efficient.

This is what I do also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          I cube/chunk up my deer meat and my brisket. I mix the chunks together and then grind. It’s not all that hard to shove a piece or two of deer meat down the throat then a chunk or two of brisket. Repeat. If I think I need to mix more after the grind, I will divide the grind into smaller batches to make mixing easier and more efficient.
          Spot on. I’ve also gone as heavy as 50/50 when I needed to stretch the deer meat.

Comment

Whole brisket here 50/50 still way leaner than store bought hamburger.

Comment

I'd recommend simply using 10% beef tallow. A lot cheaper than brisket and it adds just the right amount of binder to use the burger for "burgers". If you want a beef burger, buy it from the store. Adding brisket takes everything away from venison.....

Comment

Do y'all clen every little bit of silverskin and membrane from the deer of do you let some go in the grinder? I am wondering if I am too meticulous on my trimming. I have just never wanted to chance it. I know the processors don't trim as close as I do, but it has been a long time since I used one.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Do y'all clen every little bit of silverskin and membrane from the deer of do you let some go in the grinder? I am wondering if I am too meticulous on my trimming. I have just never wanted to chance it. I know the processors don't trim as close as I do, but it has been a long time since I used one.
                  Sinew and silver skin are hardly if ever detected in grind. I’ll trim up the obvious and any big chunks that are easy to trim, but I don’t spend near as much time trimming for my grind as I do for select cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                    Sinew and silver skin are hardly if ever detected in grind. I’ll trim up the obvious and any big chunks that are easy to trim, but I don’t spend near as much time trimming for my grind as I do for select cuts.
                    Thanks. It has just been too long since I trusted a processor, and I could not remember if it is an issue. I think I can ease up on the close trimming then and use a little more of the meat.

Comment

Thanks. It has just been too long since I trusted a processor, and I could not remember if it is an issue. I think I can ease up on the close trimming then and use a little more of the meat.
                      Amen to the processor. I have processed my own for the last 6 years or so. I got lazy this year in September and took my Kansas deer to a processor. The first batch of burger reminded me why I started doing it myself. NEVER AGAIN!

Comment

I clean all of my axis meat (I don't eat my whitetail because of my herds of axis, the whitetail gets donated) free of all silverskin. I never want to chance it either personally but I usually end up with about 30-40 lbs of ground meat. We also split ours up ground meat and ground Italian (add regular Italian seasoning to the cubed meat before the grind). The hamburger meat has always had plenty of fat and taste awesome using a whole brisket cubed up.

Let me know if you need some more meat, I am managing a couple of ranches and always have WAY more than my fair share of table fair.

Comment

I pick a brisket that doesn’t have too many hard spots and leave it as is. I mix it about 60/40 and it always comes out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            I'd recommend simply using 10% beef tallow. A lot cheaper than brisket and it adds just the right amount of binder to use the burger for "burgers". If you want a beef burger, buy it from the store. Adding brisket takes everything away from venison.....
                            Where do you get the beef tallow?? And how do you add it to the venison grind??
                            Last edited by Pedernal; 11-18-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Randy, I buy the brisket with the most fat, cut it in chunks that will go down the grinder throat and feed it with equal size chunks of venison. I don’t spend too much time removing sinew, just whittle away the most obvious parts. It grinds up unnoticeable. Cheers, Wayne

Comment

I notice when I processes one that I am getting way less picky doing the trimming and can't notice any difference in quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X