Fletching....with a twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching....with a twist?

So I was reading this article in bowhunting magazine talking about how if you cant look down your arrow and see the side of the fletching you don't have enough twist. It goes on to say that if you use factory fletched arrows that are straight fletched you should strip em and refletch yourself. Curious what everyone else thinks and what you do....

All my vanes are offset, while some guys like major helical. It's been proven that you do need some kind of twist for stabilization, recovery, and improved accuracy, especially at longer distances. Straight vanes are still very much shootable, I just prefer some offset

Comment

It mentioned using a fletching jig with a right hand twist. While looking at some websites I couldn't find any that said they were for this. What am I missing?

Comment

Some clamps should specify straight, offset or helical. AAE and Bohning both make a 1 pc design that fletches 3 vanes at one time, all at an angle. Definitions may differ, but angles could be 2-4 degrees of offset or more

Comment

Unless you use the Quick Spin vanes, and I believe those are set straight, only because they have the kicker built into the top of the vane that makes it spin already

Comment

I think that article is not entirely accurate. Lots of arrows are flying fine and killing deer, hitting targets and everything else without having to refletch new arrows. Straight fletch, offset fletch and helical will all make an arrow spin with or without a broad head. Just shoot what you think works best for you.

Comment

you get better stabilization with a helical, this helps with fixed blade heads. there is a small loss in speed as the straight is the fastest set up. personally, switching to a helical was one of the best things i did for my archery game. i get much better arrow flight and really like the way they shoot. i use the arizona mini which puts a six degree helical on them if i'm not mistaken.

give the helical a shot if you like, but as previously posted there is a lot of killing that has been done running straight vanes.

Comment

Straight fletch may work for some with super, perfectly tuned bows and perfect form shooting expandables, but IMO, it's like shooting a smoothbore musket compared to a rifle--that spin makes up for lots of little imperfections in equipment and form.

Comment

factory fletching will come off quick enough that you can correct it with a helicle or offset. I have used several different types (arizona, T3(ithink it's called) just bought a Bitzenberger that I have been wanting for a while now, ready to try it out. Also, I buy my arrows(usually) bare shafts so that I can fletch myself.

Comment

arizona ez fletch mini (for 2 inch vanes) has got to be the best fletching jig i have ever bought. I spoke with somebody at Arizona ez fetch and they told me they gauranteed me shooting better at longer distances and sure enough A helical does work best overall.

Comment

There is no place in hunting for straight fletched arrows. Bore the riflings out of your gun and see how accurate it is. Same concept, you might shoot good with straight, but I promise you will shoot better with helical or off set

Comment

I shoot helical on mechs or fixed. Wont shoot without it.

Comment

Everything I have read and from any shooting I have done (not alot) the helical or offset are way better than straight fletched arrows! might have to play with helical vs offset and see what you like better but either are more accurate especially at longer ranges!!

Comment

Straight fletched arrows are for those cheap fiberglass kids bows I like a lot of helical, and the arizona ez fletch is great.

Comment

Straight may work for you.
                              Helicle will definately work for ya, probably a little easier.
                              Been doin it for many years.
                              Arizona ez fletch for blazers is great

Comment

Working...
                              X