Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side by Sides orv's, will they ever be street legal in Texas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side by Sides orv's, will they ever be street legal in Texas??

Was surfing the web and saw some street legal conversion kits for Polairiss and some other side by sides and websites for getting them legal in other states but not Texas as far as I could tell? Are there any pending bills to let utv atvs side by sides be legal and inspected for hiway usage like some of the other states allow? You would think with all of the big side by side makers they would get a bill going in texas to make them street legal so they could be driven on the street and have plates and inspection stickers. Does anybody have a street legal side by side in another state and have insurance on it?? Is the insurance the same as a off road side by side or is it more if the side by side is driven on the street??

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
    Was surfing the web and saw some street legal conversion kits for Polairiss and some other side by sides and websites for getting them legal in other states but not Texas as far as I could tell? Are there any pending bills to let utv atvs side by sides be legal and inspected for hiway usage like some of the other states allow? You would think with all of the big side by side makers they would get a bill going in texas to make them street legal so they could be driven on the street and have plates and inspection stickers. Does anybody have a street legal side by side in another state and have insurance on it?? Is the insurance the same as a off road side by side or is it more if the side by side is driven on the street??
    The Texas legislature doesn't meet again until January 2013. Any new proposed bills would have to be introduced at that time. If a bill was to actually be proposed, make it out of committee and onto the floor of both houses and eventually approved and then signed by the governor, it would likely be September 1st, 2013 for it to become law. That is the usual date for most laws to take effect.

So the earliest that any new law would likely take effect in Texas would be about a year and a half. If such a bill is not passed by both houses and signed by the governor by May 2013, the next time that it would possibly come into law would be September, 2015.

Comment

Street Legal ATV/UTV conversion kit = JEEP
      Available on craigslist, eBay and your local classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
        Street Legal ATV/UTV conversion kit = JEEP
        Available on craigslist, eBay and your local classifieds
        I saw those and could not find where anybody in Texas has been installing them and getting plates and inspection stickers, has anybody seen one with Texas plates and a texas inspection sticker?? If so who is doing them please post up a link.

Comment

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
          I saw those and could not find where anybody in Texas has been installing them and getting plates and inspection stickers, has anybody seen one with Texas plates and a texas inspection sticker?? If so who is doing them please post up a link.
          looks like someone found a loophole. not sure how true this is maybe worth looking into for some

Hi everybody im in kansas and kansas will not let you make a utv sreet legal so here is what i did to get mine steet legal. I found a guy in south dakota that registers rvs after talking to the south dakota tag department in hanson county. Wich they gave me his #. I sent him all my paperwork and casier checks so he gould get me a onroad title and tag (soutdakota atv are sreet legal) he then sent me back a tag and registration and will send me the title in 3 weeks when southdakota sends it to him. Now that my utv has a onroad title its federal law that no state can denie you when you reregister it in you home state.i have a friend here where i live and he is head of the higway patrol here in kansas. I told him what i had done and he wasent real happy that i figured out the loopholes. He also told me what i had done was 100% correct and legal :d
          Last edited by crittergitter; 04-22-2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergitter View Post
            looks like someone found a loophole. not sure how true this is maybe worth looking into for some

Hi everybody im in kansas and kansas will not let you make a utv sreet legal so here is what i did to get mine steet legal. I found a guy in south dakota that registers rvs after talking to the south dakota tag department in hanson county. Wich they gave me his #. I sent him all my paperwork and casier checks so he gould get me a onroad title and tag (soutdakota atv are sreet legal) he then sent me back a tag and registration and will send me the title in 3 weeks when southdakota sends it to him. Now that my utv has a onroad title its federal law that no state can denie you when you reregister it in you home state.i have a friend here where i live and he is head of the higway patrol here in kansas. I told him what i had done and he wasent real happy that i figured out the loopholes. He also told me what i had done was 100% correct and legal :d
            I will say that the opinion that you found from Kansas is probably nonsense.

This page from Texas DMV has the rules for registering and driving on public roadways. It mentions that it is regulated by both state and federal law but mentions nothing about re-registering a UTV from another state as a requirement by federal law.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              I will say that the opinion that you found from Kansas is probably nonsense.

This page from Texas DMV has the rules for registering and driving on public roadways. It mentions that it is regulated by both state and federal law but mentions nothing about re-registering a UTV from another state as a requirement by federal law.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/golf_carts.htm
              maybe someone here who really wants to register their UTV will take the time to research it and let us know one way or another.

i don't see anywhere that is says you can or can't and don't feel like researching it.

just like any law people should research it for themselves first before believing what is posted on the internet.

Comment

I can drive my mini truck on the highway (and do), for Farm use only, in Daylight hrs. with headlights on, and orange triangle flag within a 25 mile radius of the Farm.

Farm Bureau got these and utvs passed for farm use about 3 yrs ago. (we have been pulled over by troopers and handed them the law we printed and put in the glove box.

No insurance or reg needed

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  I can drive my mini truck on the highway (and do), for Farm use only, in Daylight hrs. with headlights on, and orange triangle flag within a 25 mile radius of the Farm.

Farm Bureau got these and utvs passed for farm use about 3 yrs ago. (we have been pulled over by troopers and handed them the law we printed and put in the glove box.

No insurance or reg needed
                  Where is that law stated?

Comment

Originally posted by Twztid View Post
                    Where is that law stated?
                    ยง 663.037. OPERATION ON PUBLIC ROADWAY PROHIBITED. (a) A
                    person may not operate an all-terrain vehicle on a public street,
                    road, or highway except as provided by this section.
                    (b) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the
                    vehicle across a public street, road, or highway that is not an
                    interstate or limited-access highway, if the operator:
                    (1) brings the vehicle to a complete stop before
                    crossing the shoulder or main traveled way of the roadway;
                    (2) yields the right-of-way to oncoming traffic that
                    is an immediate hazard; and
                    (3) makes the crossing:
                    (A) at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to
                    the roadway;
                    (B) at a place where no obstruction prevents a
                    quick and safe crossing; and
                    (C) with the vehicle's headlights and taillights
                    lighted.
                    (c) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the
                    vehicle across a divided highway other than an interstate or
                    limited access highway only at an intersection of the highway with
                    another public street, road, or highway.
                    (d) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the
                    vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an
                    interstate or limited-access highway if:
                    (1) the transportation is in connection with the
                    production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying,
                    processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing,
                    selling, or use of agricultural products, as defined by Section
                    52.002, Agriculture Code;
                    (2) the operator attaches to the back of the vehicle on
                    top of an eight-foot-long pole a triangular orange flag;
                    (3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are
                    illuminated;
                    (4) the operator holds a driver's license, as defined
                    by Section 521.001;
                    (5) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle occurs in
                    the daytime; and
                    (6) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle does not
                    exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the
                    destination.
                    Provisions of this code regarding helmet and eye protection
                    use, safety certification, and other vehicular restrictions do not
                    apply to this subsection.

(e) The director of the Department of Public Safety shall
                    adopt standards and specifications that apply to the color, size,
                    and mounting position of the flag required under Subsections (d)(2)
                    and (g)(2).
                    (f) Except as provided by Subsection (g), this section does
                    not apply to the operation of an all-terrain vehicle that is owned
                    by the state, a county, or a municipality by a person who is an
                    authorized operator of the vehicle.
                    (g) A peace officer may operate an all-terrain vehicle on a
                    public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or
                    limited-access highway only if:
                    (1) the transportation is in connection with the
                    performance of the officer's official duty;
                    (2) the officer attaches to the back of the vehicle on
                    top of an eight-foot-long pole a triangular orange flag;
                    (3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are
                    illuminated;
                    (4) the officer holds a driver's license, as defined by
                    Section 521.001; and
                    (5) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle does not
                    exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the
                    destination.

Comment

Beat me to what one. I was about to post and hit refresh and poof.... yours appeared.

Comment

maybe someone here who really wants to register their UTV will take the time to research it and let us know one way or another.

i don't see anywhere that is says you can or can't and don't feel like researching it.

just like any law people should research it for themselves first before believing what is posted on the internet.
                        For registration purposes, UTV's are called an ROV in Texas, Recreational Off-highway Vehicles.

The law says that they cannot be registered with or without alterations for use on a public highway (a highway in Texas is any public roadway).

This is from the Texas Transportation Code, Section 502-Registrations.

It does say that an ROV can be registered for purposes of maintaining public safety and welfare. I am assuming that means for law enforcement, fire fighting, etc., but I don't see it defined anywhere.

CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
                        SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
                        Sec. 502.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
                        (37) "Recreational off-highway vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is:
                        __(A) equipped with a non-straddle seat for the use of:
                        ______(i) the rider; and
                        ______(ii) a passenger, if the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer to transport a passenger;
                        __(B) designed to propel itself with four or more tires in contact with the ground;
                        __(C) designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use by the operator only; and
                        __(D) not designed by the manufacturer primarily for farming or lawn care.

SUBCHAPTER D. VEHICLES NOT ISSUED REGISTRATION
                        Sec. 502.140. CERTAIN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES.
                        __(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person may not register an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway.

__(b) The state, a county, or a municipality may register an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle for operation on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare.

Comment

The law says that they cannot be registered with or without alterations for use on a public highway (a highway in Texas is any public roadway).

Thank goodness and I hope they never are. There's enough junk on the roads as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            For registration purposes, UTV's are called an ROV in Texas, Recreational Off-highway Vehicles.

This is from the Texas Transportation Code, Section 502-Registrations.

It does say that an ROV can be registered for purposes of maintaining public safety and welfare. I am assuming that means for law enforcement, fire fighting, etc., but I don't see it defined anywhere.

CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
                            SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
                            Sec. 502.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
                            (37) "Recreational off-highway vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is:
                            __(A) equipped with a non-straddle seat for the use of:
                            ______(i) the rider; and
                            ______(ii) a passenger, if the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer to transport a passenger;
                            __(B) designed to propel itself with four or more tires in contact with the ground;
                            __(C) designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use by the operator only; and
                            __(D) not designed by the manufacturer primarily for farming or lawn care.

SUBCHAPTER D. VEHICLES NOT ISSUED REGISTRATION
                            Sec. 502.140. CERTAIN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES.
                            __(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person may not register an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway.

__(b) The state, a county, or a municipality may register an all-terrain vehicle or a recreational off-highway vehicle for operation on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare.
                            tracy i am with you on all that. the guy is saying because it is registered in a state where it is legal it is more of a transfer than a registration.

he says once registered legally other states has to honor a transfer.

what if i lived in a state where UTV were legal to register and i came to texas to visit and i brought my registered UTV. would i not be able to ride it on the road????

legal or not i bet if you went to transfer a registered a vehicle from another state they would transfer you and not even look at what it was.

i would want to look at this so called federal law the guy from kansas references.
                            Last edited by crittergitter; 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Terry i am with you on all that. the guy is saying because it is registered in a state where it is legal it is more of a transfer than a registration.

he says once registered legally other states has to honor a transfer.

what if i lived in a state where UTV were legal to register and i came to texas to visit and i brought my UTV. would i not be able to ride it on the road????

legal or not i bet if you went to transfer a registered a vehicle from another state they would transfer you and not even look at what it was.

i would want to look at this so called federal law the guy from kansas references.
                              I started to quote the rest of the statutes that I looked up but it was getting long winded.

Other Texas traffic laws simply say that a UTV, ROV or ATV can't be operated on a public roadway with a few exemptions such as (as you know) law enforcement, farm equipment and crossing the roadway from private property to private property.

While someone may be able to obtain a license plate (and I don't think they can), the state law still says that they cannot be legally operated on the street. As an example, the Transportation Code says that a golf cart may be registered with a license plate under certain conditions however that plate does not exempt it from the state laws that say it can't typically be used on a roadway.

Comment

Working...
                              X