What lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What lens?

I have a Nikon d60 and am thinking about getting a new lens. Right now I have the lens kit (18-55 and 55-200). however, i am wanting something a little faster and crisper. the majority of my shots are landscape pictures but i also take a lot of pictures at family events (bday parties, weddings, etc...). i was looking at the nikon 24-70mm f2.4 lens but it is out of my price range. Do yall have any recommendations for lens?

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
      My recommendation as well - very versatile lens

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        doesn't that pretty much cover what i already have? Plus, i was hoping to get a lens that was in the f1.4 - 2.4 range.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          My recommendation as well - very versatile lens
          is the glass better in that lens than the kit lens?

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss1980 View Post
            doesn't that pretty much cover what i already have? Plus, i was hoping to get a lens that was in the f1.4 - 2.4 range.
            X2
            You got the length with the lenses you already have.

I would go for a super wide angle with a f.2.8 (but that f is gonna cost you.)
            There is one out there in a DX format.

Comment

That is a nice lens, but probably more than I want to spend right now. I was hoping to stay under $1k.

do yall know anything about the Sigma lenses? i have found you can get them for the same specs as the nikon/canon but close to half the price.

Comment

The 18-200 is my "everyday walking around lens" - I bought it to replace the kit lens. As far as Sigma, I'm sure a photog more knowledgable than I (meaning most photogs) could tell you why it's worth the extra money to go Nikon but for a hack like me Sigma is great. I have a 70-300 and have been pleased. That plus the 18-200 are all that's needed for my purposes. (so far)
                Last edited by jerp; 11-17-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Given the guidlines you've specified, I'd set my sights on this baby:

Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di II LD

With a bit of searching and I'd bet you can find it for $350-375.

Comment

I shoot a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 on my Canons.

Well made, decent performance and it doesn't break the bank.

Handheld nightshot

Comment

Working...
                    X