Syria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syria?

I've heard the pros and cons on leaving Syria.

- Trump said in February he was pulling troops by the end of the year.

- We only had 2000 advisors. No active defense or offensive forces.

Negative
    - Is Syria really ready for us to leave?
    - Will Russia prop up Assad in Syria?
    - Will there be a vacuum void for ISIS to get going again?

I'm trying to figure out is did Trump mess up royally?

He is pulling all of the troops home in anticipation of H.R. 5087 passing to be able to enforce it.

Comment

A few potential negatives with the US withdrawal...

1. Frees the Turks to go after the Kurds
      2. Gives Russia and Iran a free hand at controlling the area. While Trump committed to withdrawing with the Turkish leader, you have to wonder if Russia had influenced Trump to pull out...(if Russia does have something on him, that may be a reason for his disregard of his advisors to remain).
      3. ISIS is not gone and the Kurds will pullback to protect their homes from the Turks. ISIS could make a comeback and will influence more radical terrorism world wide.
      4. Our allies now have more reason to not trust our resolve and commitment on
      Common threats now and in the future.

Comment

Mad dog says we are showing a lack of loyalty to our allies by leaving.

Comment

Theyve been fighting each other for a couple thousand years. Whether we are in there or not will make no difference. Get rid of a tyranical government and another will take its place. Bring our boys home.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
            A few potential negatives with the US withdrawal...

1. Frees the Turks to go after the Kurds

2. Gives Russia and Iran a free hand at controlling the area. While Trump committed to withdrawing with the Turkish leader, you have to wonder if Russia had influenced Trump to pull out...(if Russia does have something on him, that may be a reason for his disregard of his advisors to remain).

3. ISIS is not gone and the Kurds will pullback to protect their homes from the Turks. ISIS could make a comeback and will influence more radical terrorism world wide.

4. Our allies now have more reason to not trust our resolve and commitment on

Common threats now and in the future.
            Highly likely actually. [emoji37] I doubt it will take long for Iran to fill the void. Probably wont take much longer for the Kurds to be wiped out. ISIS will be back on the move within 3 years.........I guess the war shall continue for our current military and the kids in elementary today. Gonna be interesting to watch the geopolitical chess moves.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
              This is one decision by Trump that has me leaning towards ....stupid move.
              And if the man who knows war quit because of it, it must be a bad move.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                They probably would've liked a phone call instead of finding out from twitter.

I feel worst for the Kurds. Turkey wants to wipe them out, and the only thing that's keeping them from going all out is that we have troops embedded with the Kurds, and Turkey doesn't want to poke the bear by killing our guys.

And once the Syrian Kurds lose support from the Turkish Kurds and US air power, they'll probably get smashed by the Russians/Syrians.
                Last edited by sir shovelhands; 12-24-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

funny no one has mentioned the lack of support by or military staff.

Comment

The last time we were going to pull out Assad supposedly used chemical weapons.
                    It was a puzzling event as to why he would do that when we were about to leave.

My point is most things are not actually what we here. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes.

Comment

Ok so I was wondering if there was something I didn't know but after reading these comments I'm thinking, "Trump! You bone head!"

Comment

I gave up trying to figure this stuff out.

All I know is Trump should have held a conference saying he wants to increase the number of troops in Syria. Demand and insist they are needed. And at the same time be pulling them all out. We all know the liberals would have screaming bloody murder that he is wrong and we shouldn't have any troops there.

Comment

The thing about Russia taking on ISIS is they don't adhere to the same rules of engagement American forces are subject to. Russia don't give a hoot what anybody thinks about blowing up a bunch of sadistic animals like ISIS or whoever is hiding them. I'm all for getting out of the area and gathering our stuff up for the next big one. Sooner or later we gonna have to do something with Iran and we can't be spread too thin when that happens. No other country wants Iranians to have nukes especially Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            I gave up trying to figure this stuff out.

All I know is Trump should have held a conference saying he wants to increase the number of troops in Syria. Demand and insist they are needed. And at the same time be pulling them all out. We all know the liberals would have screaming bloody murder that he is wrong and we shouldn't have any troops there.
                            Now you are starting to think like Trump

Comment

From what I understand, could be wrong, is only ground forces are coming home. Still have our other forces in the area, and if need be ground troops can be there in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X