A little ventilation and some needed advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little ventilation and some needed advice

I have always wondered what encourages someone to vent on an Internet group web-site when their stuff gets stolen. So when I walked out to my truck last night and found a smashed window and my camera bag gone I kind of better understood. I was at Jax in Houston. I carry my camera bag everywhere I go. I know the risks and for the last 8 or 9 years had no problems...(which is remarkable alone).

The crooks grabbed my bag which held my Nikon D300, two lenses, speedflash, etc. etc. That's all they took...but I guess to a crackhead/methhead that was quite a score.

The bag was on the floor. I kind of think they were watching me a did a quick "recon" after I walked away and before the dome light went off in the truck...fyi if you can, program your dome lights to go off quickly. Of course there was the bag of shirts and stuff that I wear up at my land...maybe they saw that and "found" the camera bag after getting in. Yes, it sucks.

Anyway, there is my vent...now on to the advice part...

I loved the D300, it performed excellent in low light situations (I shoot fire-ground photography in Houston and alot of my stuff is at night). I have heard that the D700 is even better with a higher ISO rating ability (along with a "better" price tag). Does anyone have any experience with the both cameras for a comparison...or an opinion on the D700. I am reluctant to go status-quo, but the D300 did me well. Insurance will help, but the D700 is a big step in price. Any advice is mucho appreciated.

I'm sorry for your loss but on the bright side at least you get to get new stuff.

Comment

I'm glad you had insurance! It sucks that the world if full of low life scum. I hope it all works out for you. I can't offer help/advice on the new rig, but I'm sure you'll like either one you get.

Comment

Have you looked into the new D300s?

In a move that won't surprise anyone that has been listening out for rumors, Nikon has launched the D300S, a refreshed version of its successful mid-level DSLR. Compared to the D300, It offers full 720p HD video recording, a faster 7 fps continuous shooting and Dual CF and SD card slots. It also sees an addition of a new Quiet drive mode and a dedicated Live View and Info button.

Comment

Hawg - I appreciate the info. I am moderately aware of the new D300S (found out about it today). To tell you the truth, it is kind of a turn off. The video option seems a bit excessive. It may work for some, but if I am going to shoot videos, I will get a dedicated video camera. Although I really do appreciate you passing that info on

Oh regarding the joy of insurance....how bad do ya think they are going to try to beat me?

Comment

Don't tell them you want to upgrade to the D700

Comment

I can't imagine there being anything wrong with the D300. Most of us don't even begin to tap the capabilities of our current cameras, let alone the ones the Jones' are using.

My insurance covered the near $1000 repair to one of my lenses quite painlessly. Hopefully you'll have the same experience. Mine is covered on my homeowners policy on a schedule jewelry. I paid no deductible and had a check in hand before the lens was repaired. If you are having to go another router for yours, I'll be interested to hear how that goes.

Hate to hear that your stuff was stolen. I find myself stopping at the door of restaurants, stores, etc and looking back before going in more and more these days. It sucks, but is probably necessary.

Comment

That is good advice about looking back at your truck. They know that when you walk into a restaurant you are in there for at least 45 minutes. Back in Dec. my brother's F150 was swiped from a gym....survellance had the crooks driving it off within minutes of him parking. Its sorry, but that is what our world has become.

I rolled the dice and crapped out. As I start to digest the whole deal, carrying the camera everywhere I go is probabally excessive and I am going to re-think that.

As far as the new rig, I will probabally stay with the D300. There is a point where one's equipment gets so expensive that using it becomes a liability. I have not made the final decision, let's see how insurance goes. I will keep the forum up to date.

Comment

I just purchased a D700 recently, having upgraded from the D200. Of course, one of the main differences in the two is that the D700 is a full frame sensor body. I have shot a lot of pictures with it since getting it on vacation and then last weekend I shot a wedding back in Colorado.
                  If I were in your position, depending on what kind of glass you currently have, I would step up to the D700. It is an awesome camera and from what my camera store guy tells me, it is actually a better camera than the D3.
                  I don't care anything about having video capability in a DSLR so the D300s does nothing for me.
                  What I can tell you is that I absolutely love the D700 and could highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                  X