Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
    It's in the TX Panhandle. All I can say, it's not my place.

I apologize, because I know that comes across as possesive, cynical, and untrusting, and I hate that, but I also know there is a small percentage of unscrupulous folks out there, and once posted it's out there for any and all. Someone who just has to know could do enough checking around to discover, but I'm just not comfortable offering it out to the cyber world. Hope everyone can still enjoy. Is that cool?

I will also say, that just about any piece of ground in the Panhandle can grow just as good of deer as any other.
    Understand completely. I am the same way. Talk goes around my town quickly and next thing you know people you bump into want to hunt your place all the dang time. Lots a folks don't understand the time effort and finances it takes to enjoy the hunt. It's not a sit in the blind one morning and take home that trophy to parade around town. That's why it's called hunting, not killing.

Comment

Yup, I totally agree with Top too. Share what you're comfortable with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
        This time of year I see gazillions of trail cam photos of bucks in velvet. Personally, I have no confidence in my ability to estimate the age of a buck this time of year, especially from trail cam photos. When November gets here I feel much better about it.

For example, check out the buck below and date stamps. Assuming it is the same deer, and it sure looks like it is, I would say he has been 3.5 years old for the last five years.

I totally agree on aging deer in the velvet pretty tough for me. Mid octoberish it gets easier in my opinion. In the velvet, Its just a matter of being mature or immature for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did anyone hunt dove? If so, did you see many birds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Up

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post

I did opening day an it was great got my limit in an hr, went back sunday eve, an it was terrible got 3 birds lol

Comment

Excellent. Hard to double dip on dove.

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post

Hunted Saturday and part of Sunday. Much slower than recent years.

Comment

There are quite a few birds, but it is spotty on location. I limited out Saturday and Sunday evening, both well before dark. Went back Monday and it was pretty dead. Called it quits after 5 birds. Drove about a mile or two down the road and they were everywhere though. Hunting is good if you are in the right spot.

Comment

Well did our first real card pull of season, looking pretty good. One of the ones we wanted to see was still there. He will get a pass one more year, hopefully makes it been on our place the last 3 years.

Should be a 4.5 year old. Anyone venture where he score now. Can't find a pic from last year right now but he has grown considerably each year. Hoping he will balloon next year in to something really nice.

Comment

I love following a deer's life in photos.

I stink at scoring on trailcams, especially via photo on computer screen, but if your interested in killing a monster, you're headed that way by passing on him again this year.

Are his tines as fat as they look or more bladed?

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                          There are quite a few birds, but it is spotty on location. I limited out Saturday and Sunday evening, both well before dark. Went back Monday and it was pretty dead. Called it quits after 5 birds. Drove about a mile or two down the road and they were everywhere though. Hunting is good if you are in the right spot.

There are a bunch of birds around, but couldn't seem to pattern them. We had a good day on Saturday then Sunday was pretty dead.

Comment

That's a cool looking buck, Jed! I also pulled cards for first time and got excited to see this nice young buck. He looks very similar to a stud that I killed two years ago. I hope this guy can survive another two years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by jed1226 View Post
                              Well did our first real card pull of season, looking pretty good. One of the ones we wanted to see was still there. He will get a pass one more year, hopefully makes it been on our place the last 3 years.

Should be a 4.5 year old. Anyone venture where he score now. Can't find a pic from last year right now but he has grown considerably each year. Hoping he will balloon next year in to something really nice.

They are full of mass. Should be a really cool buck next year

Comment

Anyone else getting out and pulling pics yet?
                                Looks to be a great year near McClean. We have a ton of different bucks already showing up and we still k own if some others that are out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X