Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have to identify yourself anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to elaborate a little, when I see suspicious activity that I can't monitor due to being seen I choose to investigate rather "push anyone with criminal intent" down the road to commit their crimes. That investigation will probably end up with personal contact and requesting identification, along with questions about why they are in the location they are in. If someone refuses to provide identification that usually means (24 years LE) there is a problem. I may not have reasonable suspicion or probable cause, but I guarantee I will be looking for it on those that refuse. That means registration check (eventually you will leave the parking lot), check of lights, follow out of parking lot looking for traffic violations, etc.

On the other hand, I contact you driving through the parking lot with lights out, hey, how you doing. Great officer, you? Yes sir, here's my ID, buddy said he's coming here tonight but not answering his phone, just looking to see if his trucks here. We'll probably have a very pleasant conversation and part with a hand shake.

Proactive police work versus reactive police work are very different things. Proactive prevents crime, reactive lets them move down the road and commit the same crime to someone else.

Comment

Even if you can legally do something, and I have no clue if that is true in this case, doesn't mean you should. Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. Just don't be an ***** and you will be on your way quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        Why would you not show an ID are drivers license to LEO if requested? Guess I'm old school and respect their job.
        Why would you? Why do they need to know your name and address?
        Do you think they would show you their drivers license if you just walked up and asked to see it?

Comment

Apparently half the folks on here reside in Baltimore. Show your ID, clear yourself, carry on. It's not that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
            Not at all!
            I expect you, or rather would want you, to stop in and talk with them. If they are up to no good they will probably move on knowing that you know they are there.
            BUT!
            I could care less if you IDS them.
            Knowing their name does not confirm or deny they are currently breaking a law.
            Is that what you want? Get them to move on to your house or neighborhood? Knowing their name may very well show they have multiple warrants out of multiple agencies, meaning they go to jail and don't move on down the road to your house. Happens daily in my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
              I know boys, buttt what can be dohn?
              I watched some of his videos. So he films in public places? The first video I found he was arrested for criminal trespass.

The other one I watched he was on public property filming. He was approached by police who wanted to know what he was doing. One officer tried to tell him that you can’t take a video recording of license plates in public (wrong) then the officer realized he wasn’t doing anything wrong and told the other police to let him be and to trespass him if he gets on police property.

This cat clearly wants confrontation with police. He seems mentally ill. The cops who ignore him are doing the right thing.

The guy is a **** but what is he doing that is “harassing?”

If you are in a public place another person can film every minute of it. It’s annoying and creepy but it’s 100% legal. I would be ****** if every time I left my office and entered a public place some **** head had a camera on me but it isn’t illegal.

Can you give a little more context about what he does that you described as a “sad deal.”

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                Even if you can legally do something, and I have no clue if that is true in this case, doesn't mean you should. Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. Just don't be an ***** and you will be on your way quickly.
                Right, and as I said you can keep your 4th amendment rights AND not be an arse.

I've done it several times, never got harassed or jacked with over it. Be polite and stand up for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  Is that what you want? Get them to move on to your house or neighborhood? Knowing their name may very well show they have multiple warrants out of multiple agencies, meaning they go to jail and don't move on down the road to your house. Happens daily in my agency.
                  How is getting their name going to stop them?
                  Once you make contact they are gonna move on anyway. (unless you arrest them)

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                    Why would you? Why do they need to know your name and address?
                    Do you think they would show you their drivers license if you just walked up and asked to see it?
                    Would you go ask a cop for his ID just for the hell of it? Maybe I missed the point, but usually there is something going on for this kind of incident to occur. It is what it is. You should honestly be more worried about the IRS,etc

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Knowing your rights and exercising them properly is not being a dooosh as you say.

Pissing away your rights just because is doooshy because that’s how they get lost.

Again....how is a person "giving up their rights" if they choose to show ID when requested?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        Would you go ask a cop for his ID just for the hell of it? Maybe I missed the point, but usually there is something going on for this kind of incident to occur. It is what it is. You should honestly be more worried about the IRS,etc
                        No, thats the point. there is not always "something" going on.

It can be as simple as you sitting in your truck waiting for academy to open, someone sees you in the parking lot and thinks you look "suspicious" so they call the cops.
                        Cop shows up and starts questioning you.
                        You have done NOTHING illegal.
                        Knowing your name and address does NOT offer him a clue as to what you are doing there.

If you want to give up your ID, then by all means go ahead, but I dont like giving up my rights.

(yes I realize the cop is just going to run your plate and find out your info anyway, this is just the quickest example I could come up with)

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                          What are thoughts on this?
                          If PD asks you to identify yourself here in the US, you can tell them to "..ck off and go away"?
                          Just curious?
                          The answer is obvious and has been stated, under arrest you have to ID and can't lie. If just lawfully detained, you don't have to ID but still can't lie.

Ya'll are getting way off in the weeds about whether it is right or wrong to ID if a police officer asks you to. The fact is, how you act towards another person is a personal decision. Choosing to ID yourself when its not required by law is up to you, it has nothing to do with what is legally required by state statute.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
                            Again....how is a person "giving up their rights" if they choose to show ID when requested?
                            Because you have the right to not give up your ID.
                            You are CHOOSING to give up your right. How is that not clear?

You are literally giving up your 4th amendment rights.

Comment

KFD82- just to be clear- I kind of understand where you're coming from, but, when was the last time you were at Kroger or walking your dog and had a cop randomly ask for your ID? I talk to people at Kroger in uniform, I also stop and talk to people walking their dogs. I don't ask for ID unless there's a reason for it. I'm guessing you don't hang out in hotel parking lots at 4 am, or drive slowly through commercial business districts at 1 am when all the businesses are closed. How about going to Econo Lodge at 3 am, leave friend in car, go inside for 10 minutes, then leave? If you do, that's when I want ID. If you refuse to provide it, you can bet your *** I'll follow you to the city limits looking for any legal reason to stop you so I can make you provide ID or arrest you. Again, it's called proactive policing. I can pretty much guarantee that 95% of the time the cops ask for ID they already have RS or PC, or have a **** good reason for asking. Your "refusal" only enhances any suspicions they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                                The answer is obvious and has been stated, under arrest you have to ID and can't lie. If just lawfully detained, you don't have to ID but still can't lie.

Ya'll are getting way off in the weeds about whether it is right or wrong to ID if a police officer asks you to. The fact is, how you act towards another person is a personal decision. Choosing to ID yourself when its not required by law is up to you, it has nothing to do with what is legally required by state statute.
                                Great answer!

I'll bow out now.

Comment

Working...
                                X