Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have to identify yourself anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
    Been there. Done that. Got tazed.
    Lol....yep.

Winner!

Comment

An officer MUST have reasonable, articulable , suspicion that you have committed or are about to commit a crime to detain you. Even then!! you do not have to ID yourself unless you are arrested.
      Detained means they think you did something, just how in the heck is knowing your name and address going to tell them if you did or didnot do the crime they suspect you of committing?

Be polite, but dont give up your rights!

Comment

I was taught RESPECT for authority at a very early age. something like this...

Dad: Son, go tell your little brother that you are sorry for hitting him.

Me: I don't have to.

Dad: Now Son, go apologize to your brother.

Me: Sniffling, whimpering, and holding my rosy butt, I'm sorry.

To this day I still respect persons with authority. May not always like them but will respect them. I've tried the other way more than once but at the end of the day respect goes a long way in making life easier.

Comment

Last edited by flyby; 05-15-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I will comply, I have no reason not to.

Comment

Ok, thanks.
              I can't wait to tell all these law enforcement agencies to go get bent.
              Woot woot!!!!

Comment

Its always been like that. A officer can ask you for your ID but if you have not been suspected of crime you do not have to ID. That has been decided by the supreme court . My question to anyone is why should a Leo have enough power to ask for my ID if I have done nothing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  I see you edited. Did you see that it says
                  Sec. 38.02. FAILURE TO IDENTIFY. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.

(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:

(1) lawfully arrested the person;

(2) lawfully detained the person; or

If you are lawfully arrested you MUST ID yourself, and cannot give false info.
                  If you are detained you cannot give false info.

Comment

Originally posted by bentman View Post
                    Its always been like that. A officer can ask you for your ID but if you have not been suspected of crime you do not have to ID. That has been decided by the supreme court . My question to anyone is why should a Leo have enough power to ask for my ID if I have done nothing wrong?
                    Exactly!
                    This is not about respect, well maybe it is. LEO's should RESPECT us enough not to ask for ID unless we have been arrested.

I cant understand why so many people are willing to give up their rights?
                    Most everyone here that has posted something along the lines of "I dont have anything to hide" or "I would do it out of respect" etc... would flip the heck out if the police were infringing on your 2nd amendment rights!
                    Why are your 4th amendments rights less important to you?

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                      Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
                      Great answer!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                        I see you edited. Did you see that it says
                        Sec. 38.02. FAILURE TO IDENTIFY. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.

(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:

(1) lawfully arrested the person;

(2) lawfully detained the person; or

If you are lawfully arrested you MUST ID yourself, and cannot give false info.
                        If you are detained you cannot give false info.
                        Yep, my bad. Just woke up. As soon as I posted I realized I had misunderstood the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          8 pages
                          Yep
                          This site is full of opinions so we may not get a good weigh up

Comment

I think it's easy for most to say they would show id because most (on this site) have not been randomly harrassed by police. Get pulled over, pulled out of your car, and bent over the hood with a cop gripping your fingers while he asks "what are you doing in this neighborhood?" And suddenly you no longer see cops as the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                              Exactly!
                              This is not about respect, well maybe it is. LEO's should RESPECT us enough not to ask for ID unless we have been arrested.

I cant understand why so many people are willing to give up their rights?
                              Most everyone here that has posted something along the lines of "I dont have anything to hide" or "I would do it out of respect" etc... would flip the heck out if the police were infringing on your 2nd amendment rights!
                              Why are your 4th amendments rights less important to you?
                              From the LE side, try looking at it this way. We are trained to try to prevent crime proactively. If I see suspicious activity in the parking lot of the hotel you're staying at at 3 in the morning do you want me to ignore it? Your F250 and $50,000 boat are parked out there. Just because two guys are driving through the parking lot slowly with the lights out- which isn't illegal- do you want me to turn my head and keep on driving?

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                                From the LE side, try looking at it this way. We are trained to try to prevent crime proactively. If I see suspicious activity in the parking lot of the hotel you're staying at at 3 in the morning do you want me to ignore it? Your F250 and $50,000 boat are parked out there. Just because two guys are driving through the parking lot slowly with the lights out- which isn't illegal- do you want me to turn my head and keep on driving?
                                I would want you to simply watch and see if they do commit a crime. Just your presence in that example would probably push anyone with criminal intent to move on

Sidenote, is it legal to drive through a parking lot at 3am with no lights on?

Comment

Working...
                                X