Ever considered premarital counseling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.W.T View Post
    Other than being required by your church, no. If you need counseling with your girlfriend/fiancé pre marriage then you don’t need to marry that person. In my mind counseling would be a last resort to save the marriage. Just my thoughts
    Exactly. If y'all need counseling prior to getting married then my guess is it was never meant to be in the first place.

Comment

Ever considered premarital counseling?

Originally posted by R.W.T View Post
      Other than being required by your church, no. If you need counseling with your girlfriend/fiancé pre marriage then you don’t need to marry that person. In my mind counseling would be a last resort to save the marriage. Just my thoughts

That “last resort” might have been avoided with some proactive tools for dealing with problems that could “possibly” arise. Counseling and “problems” are not mutually inclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I couldn't disagree more with the comments about how it's unnecessary.

It's one of the best things you can do if you want to have a successful and happy lifelong marriage. Also, make sure it isn't the last thing you and your spouse (after you're married) do together to learn how to do life together better. Take more classes. Read more books. Get involved in more marital enrichment offerings at church, etc....

It doesn't matter who you are or who you pick as a mate. Marriage takes effort. It requires work to grow into the person you need to be to fulfill your part of the relationship. When both of you put in the work, it works out great. If at least one of you won't, then the wheels are eventually gonna fall off. Guaranteed.

And I'll add this.... It's been my experience, both with myself and with others, that if you're opposed to doing this kind of stuff it's a big sign that you really need it. I know I was definitely very uncomfortable with the idea at first, because I was afraid to have to admit I had areas that needed improvement. I didn't want to have to give in on some things I was being selfish about. Everybody else I've ever known that fought against any kind of counseling or class was doing so for pretty much the same reasons. We all, especially men, want to hang on to selfishness and are afraid of being honest about ourselves. It's hard to step up and be honest about yourself and to let go of whatever version of selfishness you have going on in order to put your wife's best interests ahead of your own selfish interests. But that's what God calls husbands to do. He tells us to love our wives like Christ loved the church. (Hint: Jesus willingly gave up his life for the church.) Being that kind of husband ain't for sissies.
        Last edited by Shane; 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

The church we are getting married at requires it. Nothing real formal but they pair you up with a volunteer couple that has similar life experiences. We are supposed to start it in the next month or two. Six sessions recommended to be completed at every other week intervals.

Comment

[QUOTE=bullhead44;13268799]Ask yourself these simple questions and there is no need for it. You can mix the order of questions if you like.

1. Is she low maintenance?

2. Where does she fall on the crazy/hot matrix. (if you don't know what that is, do yourself a favor and look it up)

3. What does her mother look like?

4. Can she bait her own hook?

5. Can she pack a cooler?

I'm sure some others will have more questions you can add to the list.

seriously though, if you feel the need, then do it. Good luck[/c

the crazy hot chart is a life saver

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              You don't need no stinking counselor. Marriage is easy. I've done it 3 times.

Seriously though, it couldn't hurt.
              It sounds like fun fun fun.

Comment

The pre-marital counseling we went through wasn’t to help work through current problems in the relationship. More about learning how to be the best we can for each other, and our family, through god. I feel like some are thinking of “counseling”, in the way of something is wrong and needs to be fixed. Which wasn’t the case for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did it. Worked good. Let's be honest relationships almost always fail for the same reasons. It stands to reason that someone talks to you both and makes sure your on the same page and have the same ideas. Can't put you anywhere but ahead.

Comment

Yes. If you are considering getting married you need counseling!!!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Comment

YES! I have officiated close to 100 weddings and require pre-marital counseling before each marriage. 3-4 sessions. We go over the biggest fights in marriage, Sex, Money, and In-laws.

You'd be amazed the things that come out in just those 3 topics

Comment

BTW, I never charged for the counseling or the wedding but would welcome an honorarium if one was offered by the couple.

Comment

If you are doing it because you and your fiance are having issues, you need to eject now. If you are doing it for other reasons, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by texascanesfan View Post
                            yes. If you are considering getting married you need counseling!!!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]
                            lol:d:d

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              If you are doing it because you and your fiance are having issues, you need to eject now. If you are doing it for other reasons, go for it.
                              It’s for other reasons. So that we’re both better prepared.

Comment

I don't think it is necessary. But then, what do I know, my wife and I have only been married 48 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X