No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This struggle is real. My NM unit is dry, dry, dry. Been thinking of going stoveless to help minimize water use. My partner is running steri-pen, and I running the Sawyer in line with water bags and platypus. Worst case, I'll have to drop some elevation, fill up, and hike back up to camp.

Comment

I’m 30 yds from this buck, been on him 5 hours. Tough hunting, 95 def temps. This Shelta hat has saved me on this trip. Also made a last min impulse buy on these merrell trail runner shoes and ditched the crocs. 13 oz for the pair, and work great for stalking. My hunting partner, Brantley stuck one 2 evenings ago.
      ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wylde E View Post
        I have been getting ready for my Colorado hunt. Yesterday I completed 1.5 miles with 90 lbs at a pretty good pace granted this was flat ground. I am loving my exo Mountain 5500 pack.

I absolutely love my exo 5500 as well, they are top notch!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
          I’m 30 yds from this buck, been on him 5 hours. Tough hunting, 95 def temps. This Shelta hat has saved me on this trip. Also made a last min impulse buy on these merrell trail runner shoes and ditched the crocs. 13 oz for the pair, and work great for stalking. My hunting partner, Brantley stuck one 2 evenings ago.
          ago.

Let us know how the shoes work out when you get back been looking at those. Congrats for your buddy on that buck and good luck on punching your tag.

Comment

Going for Mule Deer in Colorado starting the 25th. My first semi backpack hunt.

I am at just under 2 pounds on food for each day. I will not be packing all of it at once as we are base camping and going out from there for a night or two at a time.

My pack with all my camping gear and optics and bow is 42 pounds. That is without water and food. I am about as light as I can get with what I feel like I need. I am sure I will learn what I really need and don't after lugging it around. But I should be under 50 pounds for any overnight excursions with food and water added.

Comment

30 yards?! Good luck! Looking forward to the update.

Congrats to Brantley!
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

ago.

Wish I was there, hats on point! Time to Double Up - Can't stop the flop

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                  Let's talk water filtration systems....

I run a Sawyer Mini in-line with my Platypus 3L bag for my pack. I usually pull up to a stream/creek, scoop the bag full, and keep on.

Colorado's been dry this year, so I'm a little concerned about our usual water spots being viable. Last year the main water spot for the area we're going was barely a trickle and this year has been drier than last.

I've used the Katadyn Hiker pump in the past with decent results. Not a big fan of pumping but most likely bringing one this year in case I have to drink out of an elk wallow

What water pumps are you guys using? How to they hold up to abuse? Might have accidentally broken the handle on the Katadyn last year
                  Are you squeezing from that bag into your bladder you drink from? It seems like lots of people are doing this so you never have to take your bladder out. I have a steripen and I like it because I can filter 1 liter in a nalgene in 90 seconds and either pour it into the bladder or mix a drink in the bottle. But I like the sound of those filters better I think.

Comment

He winded me. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                      I’d love to see a video of your dehydrated meals. Been wanting to try it out.
                      Here's a summary video of the various ingredients and meals that I've put together.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKCqdvkH2xs&t=12s"]Dehydrated Meals for My Backcountry Hunt - YouTube[/ame]
                      A few dehydrated meals that I put together for my backcountry elk hunt in Colorado. 1. Seafood chowder2. Shepherd's Pie3. Venison Stroganoff4. Chili5. Chili...
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
                        Are you squeezing from that bag into your bladder you drink from? It seems like lots of people are doing this so you never have to take your bladder out. I have a steripen and I like it because I can filter 1 liter in a nalgene in 90 seconds and either pour it into the bladder or mix a drink in the bottle. But I like the sound of those filters better I think.

I'm actually not doing the squeeze thing at all. My bag looks like this....

There's usually plenty of running water where I hunt, so I just dip it in the creek/river, fill it up, and go. It gets filtered as I drink it, and with the 100,000 gallon lifespan of the filter, I'm not worried about it hitting capacity and not working any time soon. I like the convenience of just scooping and going. Granted, I'm not scooping out of a mud hole with big debris or anything like that. I run that for my pack water and then I'll use the Nalgene for drink mix. To clean that water I'll either throw in a chlorine tablet with WA Hydrate and Recover, or use a pump my partners carry.

Finally got the right size Obsidian pants in. Larges were too big and short so I traded them in for the Medium Tall size. Fit is perfect. Hope these hold up as well as my old Kanabs did.

Comment

He winded me. Back to the drawing board.

Bummer. Stay after 'em!

Comment

Good luck Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Here's a summary video of the various ingredients and meals that I've put together.

Dehydrated Meals for My Backcountry Hunt - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKCqdvkH2xs&t=12s

Awesome. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                                Where did you source the bags Michael?

Look at packitgourmet.com. They have bags designed to pour boiling water in as well as boilable bags

Comment

Working...
                                X