In between pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In between pins?

At in-between yards such as 35, do you prefer to shoot with a 30 yard pin and aim a little high or 40 yard pin and aim under? Just curious. I have been using the above pin and holding high. With my new G5 I find that I like to use the below pin. I also am shooting a heavier arrow then I used to, so the drop rate is a little more exaggerated especially out at 50yds and beyond.

I split the pins. Simple. I like simple.

Comment

I always aim my higher yardage low, it just feels easier to hold steady on the bottom of the target for me.

Comment

Depends on situation. I spend more time shooting odd yardage to learn how much drop or rise my arrows get so I can use either pin. I can tell you how many inches my arrow drop or rise at 35,38,47,etc cause you may end up in situation where you need to use low pin and pick a spot to aim at vs. using high pin and not able to pick a spot due to brush,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I split the pins. Simple. I like simple.
          This is the best way x2

Comment

I do agree, up to a certain point that you split the pins, which may be fine at 25,35 or any combination in-between. However, My arrows have substantial drop out passed 50. there is a VERY large gap between 50-60 yard pins. Such a gap can give greater amounts of error in a split decision. I like the ability to hold a pin in one place and know what is happening.
            Splitbeam, I am working on getting there. Most assuredly if you can know either at irregular distances then all the better. I have been working on off distant shots for only a brief time, but as much as I shoot most everyday I do feel it will come together soon.

Comment

Use a five pin sight if you intend to shoot that far.

Comment

I do have a 5 pin sight. 20-30-40-50-60 yards. Easy enough to get that 65 out there with 5 pin set-up, but again. Heavier arrows lose lots of elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                  I do agree, up to a certain point that you split the pins, which may be fine at 25,35 or any combination in-between. However, My arrows have substantial drop out passed 50. there is a VERY large gap between 50-60 yard pins. Such a gap can give greater amounts of error in a split decision. I like the ability to hold a pin in one place and know what is happening.
                  Splitbeam, I am working on getting there. Most assuredly if you can know either at irregular distances then all the better. I have been working on off distant shots for only a brief time, but as much as I shoot most everyday I do feel it will come together soon.
                  I've shot 3D with pins for 20+yrs and have done pretty good during that time. What I'd recommend is getting a notepad and write 22,24,26,28,32,etc to whatever comfortable hunting distance you plan on setting up for. Then shoot those distance 2-3groups and measure from bullseye to group and write it down on notepad. Do this at 2 yd increments between 20,30,40,etc. Once completed you can memorize these and practice picking spots off the bullseye to aim at. Ex. 24 yes using 20yd pin drops 3". So look for spot 3" above bullseye and focus on that spot with 20yd pin. Do this at 30yds and that notes to see how high arrow hits,etc. Basically your 24-26 area shoot 20 and 30 yd pin and measure both way. Same for 34-36 with 30 and 40pin,etc. This will help you tremendously and train you to aim at spot where pin is supposed to be instead of just floating a pin in the area.

Comment

I split the pins but I can see where that could be a problem at longer ranges especially with heavy arrows. The arrow will drop more the last half of the split than it does in the first half. Not enough to matter at 25 or 35 yards but eventually it does. I think any of the methods people use can work but it sure is important to pick one and stick with it.

Comment

I split the pins and find in hunting situations I shoot better splitting the pins than using a single pin right on the yardage.

Comment

I split the pins. I just frame my target with top and bottom pin.

Comment

I shoot a single pin, but at distances not marked I will set for the next highest 10 yard mark and hold a little low. I shoot better when I can see the POI instead of covering it with my pin

Comment

Working...
                          X