No announcement yet.

Smoked sausage with no cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing salt is to prevent botulism from growing, shouldnt be an issue if it isn't sitting in a curing chamber for months...

Comment

Odds are its probably fine. He probably actually smoked it at a high temperature anyways. Ask him how long he smoked it, if its only a couple of hours, then its really not a issue. Its just cooked sausage. If he has a smoke house and left it in there a couple days till it reached 165 degrees, I would be more worried. I worry about stuff like that myself. One of the reasons I mainly make fresh sausage. I do make a lot of salami and summer sausage. Always put cure in there. But curing the meat is part of the process.

Like was said, if your really worried about it, cook it. The toxins will be destroyed.
      Last edited by crawdaddct; 08-13-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
        If really worried Boil it or bake/BBQ to 180+ that will safe anything as far as I know!

The Botulism bacteria will be dead, but the spores can survive 180+ degrees... They later may growth into bacteria and produce neurotoxins.

Comment

No need for cure.

Comment

I don’t use cure except on my mix for dry sausage .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would not eat it. Too many variables. How long did it take them to make the sausage? What was the room temp? Did they take it right to the smoker? How hot did the they smoke it at? How much experience do they have making sausage? How much experience do they have cleaning the kill? How long was deer in field before being cleaned?

Couple hours hanging around 40-140 degrees botulism starts growing. You can not smell it, or taste it. But you will know in the next 18-24 hours if it was good or not.

I have had food poisoning before. I typically dont eat any home made sausage anymore as it is. I have to know you and trust you before i eat your sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                I've been making sausage all my life as my father did also. We have never put that nasty cure in any of ours. To me it really messes up the taste so it taste like store bought mass produced sausage. I like to taste the seasonings and the smoke. No one ever got sick or had any issues.
                That's no true at all. If you taste the curing salt you are using way to much. If you use one ounce per 25 lbs of meat there's no way you will taste it and that's all that is needed.

Comment

After getting into canning and understanding the Botulism bacteria better, no way I would eat food (Sausages) prepared by someone I don't know.

Comment

well got ready to have some for lunch today and couldn't do it. It smelled terrible and not like sausage that I've made/had before. Makes me wonder about how he made it. It's in the trash

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                      After getting into canning and understanding the Botulism bacteria better, no way I would eat food (Sausages) prepared by someone I don't know.
                      No kidding, that was when i had my wake up call.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                        Exactly, not to mention cure is cheap and a little goes a very long way and when mixed appropriately wont change the flavor of the sausage at all. Why not use it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Comment

What is the best charcoal smoker on the market?

Comment

Originally posted by Monicaheninusa View Post
                            What is the best charcoal smoker on the market?

Weber Smoky Mountain

Comment

I would not eat it. A smoke House is the perfect environment for meat to spoil. If the smoker temp was high enough to cook the meat quickly, it would be fine, but I wouldn't risk it. Since it smells, no way

Comment

Working...
                              X