Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County
Question Need saltwater fly line advice

We have a trip booked to fly fish for reds in October in the Rockport area. I have 8 wt and 9 wt rods I plan to bring. Are these okay or should I also bring a 6 wt to be more sporting?

My mainer question is which fly lines should I spool up? I have bought some over the last few years on various clearance sales but don't know which ones I should use.

Here is what I have:

1.) Scientific Anglers Expert Distance 105ft WF9F also in WF8F

2.) AirFlo Sniper Tropical Bonefish/Permit 120ft WF9F

3.) Scientific Anglers AirCel 85ft WF9F also WF8F

4.) Scientific Anglers Supra Saltwater WF8F (what is different about a saltwater line?

5.) Also, several 9wt sinking lines which I assume I don't need.

Any other specialized line for redfish in the shallows or will the above be okay?

What kind/size of flies?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

From what I've read, the saltwater and freshwater tapers are different. Also, you should not use freshwater line in saltwater on hot days. The line gets too limp and becomes unusable.

You should ask your guide about the flies.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I use Rio Redfish.
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Gladesgator
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk County, FL and AR

Any of your WF lines are fine for reds, in FL we used deceivers, minnow imitations, shrimp imitations on size 1/0 or 2/0 hooks depending on the water depth you are fishing. Make sure the hooks are sharp.

Used bright orange or bright pink and white for colors on the flies with some mylar on the sides, made them easier for the angler to see, so the presentation could be adjusted for the fish. Have never seen reds be picky about color, presentation yes but color no.

We were sight fishing only in FL bay but the same flies are good for blind casting too. Trout, snook, tarpon, ladyfish, jacks, sharks, mangroves will all hit the same flies.

Using the above have caught hundreds and hundreds of reds on fly.

Tightlines!!
Gladesgator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Clay C
Ten Point

“Tropical” saltwater lines are usually built to withstand the heat better. Freshwater lines are usually made for more moderate or cold water, unless it is a warm water freshwater line. Lines not made for hot/warm water will get mushy and sticky and become more difficult to cast. Also, saltwater floating lines are usually thinner and do not float as well in freshwater.

8 weight is the gold standard. 6weight is fun, but can make casting with wind a little less fun.

I don’t have any experience with the lines you listed. My personal favorites for redfish here in Texas are Wulff Bermuda Triangle and SA warm water redfish.

The main thing is Don’t overthink the equipment side of it, just go and have fun. I’ve never been on a trip and thought “man I wish I had a different line/rod”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
stickman
Pope & Young

8wt, rio redfish here. Small spoons and crab imitations
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
MillsJake
Six Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County, Kimble County

I use Scientific Angler Mastery Redfish warm water 8wt
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Darnittoheck. Looks like I need to spend some more money on line!

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Randy, I have a RIO Tropical OutBound Short Saltwater line for my 8wt. It worked great for me at South Padre on reds. Super slick and a great taper to turn over a bulky crab fly in the wind.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Thanks, Shane. I will check that line out.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I like the rio mainstream saltwater, about $40. I have lines that cost a lot more that imo don't cast any better. I'd take the 6wt also.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #12
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
From what I've read, the saltwater and freshwater tapers are different. Also, you should not use freshwater line in saltwater on hot days. The line gets too limp and becomes unusable.

You should ask your guide about the flies.
Ah! Now I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I use Rio Redfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladesgator View Post
Any of your WF lines are fine for reds, in FL we used deceivers, minnow imitations, shrimp imitations on size 1/0 or 2/0 hooks depending on the water depth you are fishing. Make sure the hooks are sharp.

Used bright orange or bright pink and white for colors on the flies with some mylar on the sides, made them easier for the angler to see, so the presentation could be adjusted for the fish. Have never seen reds be picky about color, presentation yes but color no.

We were sight fishing only in FL bay but the same flies are good for blind casting too. Trout, snook, tarpon, ladyfish, jacks, sharks, mangroves will all hit the same flies.

Using the above have caught hundreds and hundreds of reds on fly.

Tightlines!!

Good info. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
“Tropical” saltwater lines are usually built to withstand the heat better. Freshwater lines are usually made for more moderate or cold water, unless it is a warm water freshwater line. Lines not made for hot/warm water will get mushy and sticky and become more difficult to cast. Also, saltwater floating lines are usually thinner and do not float as well in freshwater.

8 weight is the gold standard. 6weight is fun, but can make casting with wind a little less fun.

I don’t have any experience with the lines you listed. My personal favorites for redfish here in Texas are Wulff Bermuda Triangle and SA warm water redfish.

The main thing is Don’t overthink the equipment side of it, just go and have fun. I’ve never been on a trip and thought “man I wish I had a different line/rod”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
8wt, rio redfish here. Small spoons and crab imitations
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsJake View Post
I use Scientific Angler Mastery Redfish warm water 8wt
Thanks for the tip.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #13
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I use the Rio Bonefish WF 8# on my TFO for reds with no issues at all...
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #14
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
I use the Rio Bonefish WF 8# on my TFO for reds with no issues at all...
Thanks! I'm thinking my Tropical Bonefish/permit line will work.

Is there an advantage with the 120 ft line vs 85-90 ft line when fishing for reds? Is there a need for longer casts?

Last edited by Burnadell; Yesterday at 11:11 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #15
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Thanks! I'm thinking my Tropical Bonefish/permit line will work.

Is there an advantage with the 120 ft line vs 58-90 ft line when fishing for reds? Is there a need for longer casts?
That line will do fine.

There is really no advantage to a 120 ft line for fishing that I can think of. Most of your shots will probably be close. You'd be surprised at the amount of the people you see posting pictures of fish they catch all over the world that cannot consistently present to fish at 60 ft. There are very few people who can do it at 100-120.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #16
Shane
Pope & Young

Most people can't cast a full 85' line, much less 120' - especially with a bulky fly in the wind. Shorter fly line = more backing capacity in case you get a big one that wants to run forever.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #17
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Most people can't cast 100' anyway, especially with a bulky fly in the wind. Shorter fly line = more backing capacity in case you get a big one that wants to run forever.
Bingo. . I can do 100, but it means nothing. And definitely not with a fly attached, in the wind, trying to hit a moving target. This is why it cracks me up when people rave about a rod because "80 feet feels effortless" when they cast it on the concrete at the fly shop. Okay buddy, but can you hit that fish moving from right to left at 20 feet? In my experience, a lot can't. And those shots are what will make or break a trip.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #18
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
That line will do fine.

There is really no advantage to a 120 ft line for fishing that I can think of. Most of your shots will probably be close. You'd be surprised at the amount of the people you see posting pictures of fish they catch all over the world that cannot consistently present to fish at 60 ft. There are very few people who can do it at 100-120.
Quote:
Most people can't cast a full 85' line, much less 120' - especially with a bulky fly in the wind. Shorter fly line = more backing capacity in case you get a big one that wants to run forever.

True for me, too! I may just cut the back 30 ft off!
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #19
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
True for me, too! I may just cut the back 30 ft off!
I wouldn't cut it off. It won't hurt anything.

Probably 95% of my redfish shots are under 40 ft. I'd say that's probably true for most of the Texas coast. So you should be fine.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #20
Shane
Pope & Young

What reel are you using and how much backing do you have on it with the 120' line, Randy? If you have at least 100 yards of backing already, I bet you're good for reds. Bonefish might be a different story.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #21
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
What reel are you using and how much backing do you have on it with the 120' line, Randy? If you have at least 100 yards of backing already, I bet you're good for reds. Bonefish might be a different story.
A Sage 2880 for my 8 wt Sage Approach 9 ft and for my Echo2 9 ft, and Lamson Konic for my 9ft 6 in 9 wt, an older 2 piece Sage rod.

Any reason to overweight either with a one wt heavier line? Will that help with the wind?

Last edited by Burnadell; Yesterday at 01:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #22
Draco
Pope & Young

Over weight probably won't help nearly as much as the short head on that line will. I'd fish what you got.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #23
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Over weight probably won't help nearly as much as the short head on that line will. I'd fish what you got.
Thanks, Bob. We have booked your recommendation, Chuck Naiser, and I told him that you recommended him.
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #24
Shane
Pope & Young

Those short taper saltwater lines are pretty much overweighted already. They're made for tossing bulky flies in the wind, so the short heavy taper shooting head part is good for most rods. If you have an extremely fast/stiff rod, you might benefit from overweighting it, but I don't think that is the case for the rods you have (right?).
Old Today, 11:01 AM   #25
recar
Ten Point

Rio Summer Redfish WF 8# on my TFO
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #26
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Tracking, Good info!
Stoof is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Lot of good information in this thread for us buggy whip fishermen!! About the only thing I might add is depending on whether you will be wading or fishing from the boat, I'd try to have one rigged with a weight forward shooting taper that floats, and one rigged with a sinking taper for fishing a bit deeper. If it cools off with a front or something when you're there, those reds (and trout too) will hang back and not get up quite as shallow. Also a sinking taper is murder on flounder in the fall. They to me are much easier to get a good hook up on a sinking taper. Good luck Randy!! Hope you wear out both those buggy whips on big ol' redfish!! To me, a 30" red on a fly rod in 18" of water is like getting a shot at a 170" buck with your bow!! That's some serious excitement when they cannot dive down deep... all they can do is run and make your drag scream!! Hard to beat that!
Also, that 6wt would provide some great excitement/sport if you happen to get into the trout too.

Presonally, I find that I can whip a big red quicker with my 9wt set up than a conventional bait caster. With a 9wt fast action rod, you can put some serious pressure on a fish if need be.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #28
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Well, why didn't I think to ask Saltwater Slick for tips on fishing saltwater?

Thanks, Charlie. We will be in a boat, I guess, but not sure. I have quite a few questions for our guide but haven't bothered him with them yet...he is busy with current clients, and I have not wanted to bother him too early. As someone here posted, he is laconic, and that has been my experience with his emails.

Good idea on bringing my 6 wt for trout. I just happen to own a new one courtesy of MuyGrande.
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #29
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thanks, Charlie. We will be in a boat, I guess, but not sure. I have quite a few questions for our guide but haven't bothered him with them yet...he is busy with current clients, and I have not wanted to bother him too early. As someone here posted, he is laconic, and that has been my experience with his emails.

Good idea on bringing my 6 wt for trout. I just happen to own a new one courtesy of MuyGrande.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #30
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:

You are going with Naiser right? You are gonna be casting out of the boat 99% of the time would be my guess unless you find a pond with a hard bottom and a bunch of tailers.

I'd leave the 6 wt at home. Wind and size of flies being the main reason. Also, being "sporting" is fun and all, but I think you should put the rod to them and land them as quick and cleanly as possible if you are planning to catch and release.

All those lines will work just fine.

If you are going to practice anything, I'd practice shooting casts at a bucket without false casting or false casting 90 degrees from where you want to cast.

It is good to be able to cast far, but it isn't necessary most of the time. I caught my first redfish on a fly rod out of a poling skiff at less than the length of the rod away.

Spoon flies, crab imitations, and small, sparse clousers in any color so long as it is white. Fly selection usually isn't that big a deal. I don't tie, but I have some serious redfishing buddies that do. Naiser will provide flies, so I wouldn't sweat it.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top