Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt, 1/4/2018 - 1/7/2018. I live about 5 hours away so it's not very convenient to go check it out. From what I've read, it looks like it's mainly thick brush and tall grass. Older forums say that a tripod is the way to go. Anybody know of any good tripod brands that won't break the bank? Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake

I'll be there in December for my first time as well. Also had some of the same questions regarding tripod vs. ground blind.

Have you looked at the Millenium T100 tripod. It's a lightweight option and about in the ballpark with all other comparable options. Probably the route I will go if I'm going to haul one in.

Comment

I was drawn for the second hunt in November, I purchased a Hawk brand stand at the end of last seadon, it's 8ft and folds up with 2 wheels on it and can be pulled around kinda like a game cart

Comment

Have you hunted here before? Do you think a tripod is necessary or just a nicety?

And thanks for the Hawk tripod recommendation. Interesting design that I hadn't seen yet. Pretty Dang heavy it looks like though.

Comment

No, this will be the first time for me, but i did hunt laguna atacosta last year, i didnt have a tripod but i guy i met actually let me use his one evenimg humt that he wasnt able to make it out and it made me wish i had my own. And yeah it is a bit bulky but the wheels are big enough that it's pretty easy to move around. Plus you can put all your gear on it and help tote it around

Comment

In reference to the Mill T100. Although I think their good. I think a 10' tripod will be right at the limits for down south. 8' would be about as tall as l like to go with 6' being more ideal. Try South Texas Tripod. They have some great light weight short ones just for down here.
            Last edited by Muddy Bud; 09-03-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
              In reference to the Mill T100. Although I think their good. I think a 10' tripod will be right at the limits for down south. 8' would be about as tall as l like to go with 6' being more ideal. Try South Texas Tripod. They have some great light weight short ones just for down here.
              Thanks Muddy.

I did look over the STT option but didn't see anything other than the 10' version (as the smallest option). I may just stop by there and chat with them since they're not too far from me.

Comment

Would y'all say that without a tripod, you're at a disadvantage down there? I've seen guys say that they hunt tripod and ground, so if I don't have to drop $300 right now, then I'd rather not. That said, if it gives enough advantage to make a difference for my hunt, then I'll definitely do it.

Comment

Never hunted Teniente but I have hunted Atascosa. I hunted out of a pop up and saw a few does in range and one group of nilgai cows about 50 yds out but no shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
                    Would y'all say that without a tripod, you're at a disadvantage down there? I've seen guys say that they hunt tripod and ground, so if I don't have to drop $300 right now, then I'd rather not. That said, if it gives enough advantage to make a difference for my hunt, then I'll definitely do it.
                    Speaking from experience for me at least, I hunt from the ground. If you see something from the tripod just out of range, there is nothing you can do but watch it walk away. From the ground you can always move a bit even it is just 10 or 15 yards. That may be enough to put you in range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                      Speaking from experience for me at least, I hunt from the ground. If you see something from the tripod just out of range, there is nothing you can do but watch it walk away. From the ground you can always move a bit even it is just 10 or 15 yards. That may be enough to put you in range.

Very good point! That's probably more my style anyway...

Thanks RGV.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post

This is the best advice about stands there. I've done way better at that place on the ground than in a blind. I had a nilgia come in at 20yrds and couldn't do anything because he was lower then me, all I could see was his head. That place is very thick and easy enough to build a blind.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 1.12.32 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	24509924

I got this map emailed to me after buying the permit and as y'all can see, the boundaries on the right side extend past what they sent. Does anyone have a full map with the boarders clearly defined?

Comment

Its easier to walk in and walk out at the end of your hunt. You can hunt farther in because you don't have to carry anything heavy but your bow and backpack. I use to hunt the atascosa before it went to the draw system. All you had to do was go the office and pay your fee. If you were one of the first 600 you were set. If you lived out of town you could mail it in. I liked it the way it used to be. I live five minutes away from the place and it looks like this year I will just watch everyone drive by on the way to the hunt area.

I would not be surprised if management hires Broken Arrow Ranch again to slaughter the nilgai from a helicopter after all the hunters leave and we can only watch. They did it last year.

Comment

Unless they changed, the right side is not correct. Don't get caught on the other side of that fence. I would confirm that with TPWD in writing if I was you.

Comment

Working...
                              X