Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #451
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjones87 View Post
should have taken more pics this weekend but without service, its easy to forget the phone. We were fishing off PINS and caught over 30 12" cats, couple whitening, and a bonehead hammerhead (<2ft). Anyone got some good tips for getting the sand out? my buddies couldnt handle the grit
Baby powder will take sand off you if that's what you mean.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #452
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default Cool Vid: Braid Color

Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #453
trjones87
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Baby powder will take sand off you if that's what you mean.
i meant the fish, baby powder works like a dream for me
trjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #454
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default 2018 saltwater fishing thread

Fished West Matty Saturday morning. SHARKS were HORRIBLE! We lost 1 trout off the stringer, then the shark came back a few minutes later and took the entire stringer. We literally couldnít leave a fish on the stringer for longer than 5 or 10 minutes before a **** shark would pop up.

We ended up with a limit of trout after weeding through a lot of dinks and getting ripped of by the tax man. We ended up walking each fish back to the boat in the end.

Didnít get many pics, but here are two of the biggest trout we caught. The rest were 15-17Ē

CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #455
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
should have taken more pics this weekend but without service, its easy to forget the phone. We were fishing off PINS and caught over 30 12" cats, couple whitening, and a bonehead hammerhead (<2ft). Anyone got some good tips for getting the sand out? my buddies couldnt handle the grit
Wear surf trunks - no underwear.....BAGGIES. Cotton isn't the best - Nylon surf trunks are best. Quick dry and literally no chaff - designed to ride looser on thighs for surfers sitting on surfboard. Only way to go hours and or days along the sandy strand.

Carry a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Rub inner thighs and any area where you may be prone to chaff. Do this first thing and it will cover chaffing all day long. Or Extra Strong Desitin diaper rash ointment.

3 or 5 gallon bottle of water. Pour the water over your head for a final rinse off before rolling home.

A couple of big Gulp cups - fill them up with saltwater and pour over bare feet, before you put both feet into cab.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-15-2018 at 10:11 AM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #456
trjones87
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
Wear surf trunks - no underwear.....BAGGIES. Cotton isn't the best - Nylon surf trunks are best. Quick dry and literally no chaff - designed to ride looser on thighs for surfers sitting on surfboard. Only way to go hours and or days along the sandy strand.

Carry a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Rub inner thighs and any area where you may be prone to chaff. Do this first thing and it will cover chaffing all day long.

3 or 5 gallon bottle of water. Pour the water over your head for a final rinse off before rolling home.

A couple of big Gulp cups - fill them up with saltwater and pour over bare feet, before you put both feet into cab.
bro i got some baaaad surf chafing. Had to work from home on monday, hurt to wear pants.

how do you de-sand fish for cooking out there?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #457
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
bro i got some baaaad surf chafing. Had to work from home on monday, hurt to wear pants.

how do you de-sand fish for cooking out there?
Take them out into the surf and wash them off there. Rub both sides of the skin and pull down toward tail. You can wipe the slime off your hands by grabbing fistfulls of sand, and rubbing them together underwater.

I usually knock the sand off the minute I pull fish off the hook, before I lay them into the ice chest. Let them die in the ice chest, then use a plank or board to filet them on after they are slightly chilled / firmed and ready to filet. Take some gallon zip lock bags and stuff those filets into the bag, place that back on ice as you get the fire ready.

Think wind and blowing sand for your fire and cooking setup. Use vehicles and ice chests to block out as much of both as you can.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #458
gpena
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywere invited

Quote:
Take them out into the surf and wash them off there. Rub both sides of the skin and pull down toward tail. You can wipe the slime off your hands by grabbing fistfulls of sand, and rubbing them together underwater.

I usually knock the sand off the minute I pull fish off the hook, before I lay them into the ice chest. Let them die in the ice chest, then use a plank or board to filet them on after they are slightly chilled / firmed and ready to filet. Take some gallon zip lock bags and stuff those filets into the bag, place that back on ice as you get the fire ready.

Think wind and blowing sand for your fire and cooking setup. Use vehicles and ice chests to block out as much of both as you can.
Always great info Rob

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
gpena is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #459
trjones87
Pope & Young

Quote:

thank you good sir, ill have to give it a shot
Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #460
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
What size and color do you use?
30# Ultracast Green. I buy the big spool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #461
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
30# Ultracast Green. I buy the big spool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gracias for the info!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #462
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Fished West Matty Saturday morning. SHARKS were HORRIBLE! We lost 1 trout off the stringer, then the shark came back a few minutes later and took the entire stringer. We literally couldnít leave a fish on the stringer for longer than 5 or 10 minutes before a **** shark would pop up.

We ended up with a limit of trout after weeding through a lot of dinks and getting ripped of by the tax man. We ended up walking each fish back to the boat in the end.

Didnít get many pics, but here are two of the biggest trout we caught. The rest were 15-17Ē

All I've heard this year is how bad the sharks are in West Matty and I've yet to see one after about 5 trips this year . Are you guys way down by the Jetties or what? I've been fishing around cottons mostly. Maybe I'm blind
Old 05-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #463
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

Quote:
I finally decided to give braid another try recently, went with Fins Windtamer in 30lb on a Lews baitcaster. Spooled it tight, casting great and really liking the sensitivity of it and the hook setting power. Here's the problem, my first hookup, the line buried into itself on the spool and I couldn't cast more than the distance the line was out at hookup. Tried pulling line off the reel and spooling it back up and it did it again but this time with a massive backlash, WTH! I put it down and picked up another rod spooled with the trusty mono and fished the rest of the day.

So how do I make it work? It's obviously something I'm doing wrong or everyone would hate braid just like I do.

Some info:

No I did not put electrical tape on the spool or use a mono backing.
Fish was only about 20' in front of me when he hit, I'm having a hard time believing that a mono backing would have prevented it given I only had about 20' of line out at hook set.

I want to use this stuff but man it's hard to not go right back to the Berkley Trilene Smooth Casting 14lb I've used for the last 20 years.
I have had this same thing happen, but using 20LB PowerPro SS.
I put electrical tape on the spool, then filled about 1/3 with cheap mono, then topped with fins 30lb wind tamer. Never had it happen again and that's the setup on almost all of my wading rods.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #464
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
All I've heard this year is how bad the sharks are in West Matty and I've yet to see one after about 5 trips this year . Are you guys way down by the Jetties or what? I've been fishing around cottons mostly. Maybe I'm blind
We stayed mainly around Greens. We usually fish east bay, but jump over to west a few times a year when east is blown out. I have never seen sharks this bad.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #465
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
We stayed mainly around Greens. We usually fish east bay, but jump over to west a few times a year when east is blown out. I have never seen sharks this bad.
Awe heck no that's a little too close!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #466
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Seems like I see sharks about 80% of the time down there around Greens.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #467
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

Whereís is Greens? Make sure we stay away from there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #468
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Seems like I see sharks about 80% of the time down there around Greens.
Seriously guys I've seen 1 shark in west in 20 plus years
Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #469
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
Seriously guys I've seen 1 shark in west in 20 plus years
What kid if water depth are you standing in? When I fished Greens a couple/few weeks ago I didnít see a single shark; nor did I see anyone else have issues. Wonder if these guys are wading deeper and the sharks are out in that deeper water.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #470
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
What kid if water depth are you standing in? When I fished Greens a couple/few weeks ago I didnít see a single shark; nor did I see anyone else have issues. Wonder if these guys are wading deeper and the sharks are out in that deeper water.
I'm usually a little over knee deep, waist at the most but that's rare. I'd say 90 percent of my time I'm around knee deep water unless I'm in a hole way back in the marsh. Kinda glad I never see them.... do see a gator from time to time but its been a while since I've seen one probably over 5 years.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #471
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Default 2018 saltwater fishing thread

Quote:

We were waist deep when the stringer got hit twice. Had one check my stringer in belly deep water. Then had a little 4 footer swim between us in about 2.5í of water.

I have never seen them that thick. I also didnít notice anyone around us getting hit. I think they just liked us for some reason, but I have no clue.

Last edited by CastAndBlast; 05-15-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #472
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm usually a little over knee deep, waist at the most but that's rare. I'd say 90 percent of my time I'm around knee deep water unless I'm in a hole way back in the marsh. Kinda glad I never see them.... do see a gator from time to time but its been a while since I've seen one probably over 5 years.
Quote:
We were waist deep when the stringer got hit twice. Had one check my stringer in belly deep water. Then had a little 4 footer swim between us in about 2.5’ of water.

I have never seen them that thick. I also didn’t notice anyone around us getting hit. I think they just liked us for some reason, but I have no clue.
Sounds like they may be associated with the deeper water, stay shallow my friends!

What about stingrays? I must have seen 20 or more of them, they’re the work of the devil.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #473
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson-talon View Post

Baffin sheepshead on da flyyy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A sheephead on a fly! What a trophy. Congrats
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #474
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Somebody should be waist deep in the surf right now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #475
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sounds like they may be associated with the deeper water, stay shallow my friends!

What about stingrays? I must have seen 20 or more of them, theyíre the work of the devil.
Stingrays a different story! I see at least 5 to 10 every trip! Can't stand them nasty bastages!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #476
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I haven't waded the area in several years but waste deep water and deeper is where I've seen the most. It's pretty early to be seeing a lot of them right now, may get pretty spooky as summer comes on.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #477
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

A couple of years ago, a guy I fished with used a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in it with floats to put his fish in because the sharks got so bad while wading. Like you Mexico, I hate those rays. The other day it was like a minefield there were so many around us.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #478
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post

Ain't that the truth!! Sure hope this weather holds... If it's like this, we're gonna nuke 'em!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #479
tmurray
Ten Point

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, looks to be great today and tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #480
Mexico
Pope & Young

Yea the ol salt is calling my name for sure. Looking at the extended forecasts that 10 knot SE breeze with water temps in the mid 70s means the bays are going to clear up and the fish are going to eat....
Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #481
tmurray
Ten Point

Quote:
Yea the ol salt is calling my name for sure. Looking at the extended forecasts that 10 knot SE breeze with water temps in the mid 70s means the bays are going to clear up and the fish are going to eat....
and I'm headed out with Capt Nathan Gray next Tuesday

Getting jacked up about it now, weather looking great and he sent me a teaser pick of yesterday's catch, 23 keeper trout up to 27.5".
Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #482
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Yea, we'll be fishin' the Chandeleur's Memorial Day and the two following days... If weather holds like this, it's gonna be epic!! I got me a whole sack full of super secret new baits to fool 'em with!!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #483
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:

What about stingrays? I must have seen 20 or more of them, theyíre the work of the devil.
Lol...you are fishing too shallow! I didn't see any stingrays...granted most of the time I couldn't see my feet, and I had my eyes peeled for the **** trout stealers!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #484
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll be home Sunday, and fishing Tuesday. I can't focus on my last few days here on this project....I just see blow ups.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #485
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Ain't that the truth!! Sure hope this weather holds... If it's like this, we're gonna nuke 'em!
I haven't looked at the long range forecast in a week or so. Last I checked they were gonna get some rain for 3-4 days here pretty quick. Ive kinda been scared to check it honestly. It was PERFECT for the days we where supposed to fish 2 weeks ago. I got so antsy I was sick to my stomach thinking it was gonna be on fire.

If its any consolation, our luck was mediocre last year and obviously junk 2 weeks ago. To say "I'm due" is an understatement I'm ordering some chartreuse powder paint to coat all the lead colored jigs I have. I might just have to add some chicken of the sea DSLs. Plastics bag already weighs 20 lbs whats another oz or so
Old 05-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #486
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Give me 20 more hours... Looks good in the morning too.
Quote:

Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #487
tmurray
Ten Point

Buddy of mine just pulled on the beach at Surfside. He's non responsive now so must be in the water already. I'll report back if he has any luck on his afternoon trip.

He did send me this pic before he went radio silent.
Attached Images

Last edited by tmurray; 05-16-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #488
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Man the camera at Surfside sure looks good... Water looks BLUE all the way to the beach!!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #489
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'll be home Sunday, and fishing Tuesday. I can't focus on my last few days here on this project....I just see blow ups.
I'll probably be there myself early next week.... this working is for the birds!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #490
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Buddy of mine just pulled on the beach at Surfside. He's non responsive now so must be in the water already. I'll report back if he has any luck on his afternoon trip.

Friend of mine fished from daylight to noon and zeroed right along with 2 guys soaking croaker....
Old 05-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #491
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

I fished Surfside this morning and I think we had 5 keepers between 3 of us, and a handful of dinks. Lots of big ladyfish. I had to leave for work around 9:30, but I talked to my buddies and they didn't catch a fish after I left. Water was great this morning. I went back to Surfside for lunch with my wife, we ate at Beachfront, and the wind was back out of the south and blowing, and the surf was building, I imagine by tomorrow morning it'll probably be blown out though it may still be fishavble. It's been very slow so far this year. Usually you can at least catch all the dinks you can stand. Guys fishing next to us had live shrimp, and I only think they had a few trout between 4 of them. Surf had everything you look for, just not many trout. I usually don't miss a day when it's good, I work close by and have a flexible schedule. I'll keep trying. lol

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 05-16-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #492
tmurray
Ten Point

Thanks for the update panhandle, hope it turns on soon!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #493
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
I fished Surfside this morning and I think we had 5 keepers between 3 of us, and a handful of dinks. Lots of big ladyfish. I had to leave for work around 9:30, but I talked to my buddies and they didn't catch a fish after I left. Water was great this morning. I went back to Surfside for lunch with my wife, we ate at Beachfront, and the wind was back out of the south and blowing, and the surf was building, I imagine by tomorrow morning it'll probably be blown out though it may still be fishavble. It's been very slow so far this year. Usually you can at least catch all the dinks you can stand. Guys fishing next to us had live shrimp, and I only think they had a few trout between 4 of them. Surf had everything you look for, just not many trout. I usually don't miss a day when it's good, I work close by and have a flexible schedule. I'll keep trying. lol
Well,I don't feel quite so bad... NOT!! Good luck to you and hope you're right in the middle of 'em when they do turn on!! For many, many years, our kick off spring/summer trip was always Memorial Day weekend and was generally at Port O'Connor... Seems things this year are running a bit behind schedule...
Old 05-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #494
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well,I don't feel quite so bad... NOT!! Good luck to you and hope you're right in the middle of 'em when they do turn on!! For many, many years, our kick off spring/summer trip was always Memorial Day weekend and was generally at Port O'Connor... Seems things this year are running a bit behind schedule...
That's what I'm thinking. Last year by this time, we already had some great trips in the surf. One in particular was the best day I've ever had. I put my time in down there, so just hoping it's sooner rather than later that it does turn on.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #495
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Got into the flat fish pretty good last week, lots of dinks, did manage a few keepers. Then this morning we hammered the trout on tops. Waist deep in Sandy water. Alot of dinks this morning but probably caught 40+ trout with a few reds mixed in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #496
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Yea, we'll be fishin' the Chandeleur's Memorial Day and the two following days... If weather holds like this, it's gonna be epic!! I got me a whole sack full of super secret new baits to fool 'em with!!
I called captain Bobby tonight and spoke to him about my trip next month. He was saying they are doing very well on the clear colors baits right now. the matrix shad midnight mullet he said has been on fire. I can't wait to go
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #497
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Friend fished surfside for a couple hours this evening. He picked 3 trout on plastics. Said real slow bite. One guy that had been there longer had 5 or 6.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #498
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I called captain Bobby tonight and spoke to him about my trip next month. He was saying they are doing very well on the clear colors baits right now. the matrix shad midnight mullet he said has been on fire. I can't wait to go
Yea, I'd heard that too... Sure hope this weather holds for us... If it does, we should nuke 'em again. Can't imagine a better trip than we had last year, but I'll sure give it a try!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #499
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Hey guys, I am about to be off for summer. Wanting to take some more trips down to surfside and galveston. Any of y'all have a dock or something I could hang a hammock on occasionally?

Just not quite sure how I feel about camping on the beach solo in the summer. I'll bring drinks and cook some cajun food.
Flex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #500
tmurray
Ten Point

Quote:

My buddy called last night, said they fished from 2pm to 6pm and caught 1 trout between 2 guys. They threw everything in the box (spoons, plastics, topwaters) and the one fish came on DOA under a popping cork.