Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #101
donpablo
Ten Point
 
donpablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Odessa
Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Question Wolf Urine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Just curious how your dog would respond to wolf urine? Long ago I knew a smuggler/dealer who used it. He eventually got caught.
Um... Do you know where he obtained this wolf urine? I'll be picking up a wolf tag in a week and a half and that could be useful.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #102
Froggy
Pope & Young
 
Froggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Decatur, Texas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
Um... Do you know where he obtained this wolf urine? I'll be picking up a wolf tag in a week and a half and that could be useful.
I don't know here he purchased it. Too long ago. A quick google search show's it can be purchased from Amazon or many trapping supply businesses.
Froggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #103
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
I'll try to explain. Courts say only accuracy is training. Training accuracy is in contained environments. Street accuracy is different. I stop someone, dog alerts, driver says never been dope in the car. Dog says odor in the car. Who do I believe? Dog. People lie to us all the time. Most of the time when dog alerts and nothing found driver/occupants admit there was dope in the car recently, some folks refuse to admit. Does that mean the dog is wrong? No, training in controlled environments is the ONLY way to prove the dogs accuracy, and that's what the courts go by.

I don't " tear the car up searching". I do a thorough search, but everything is replaced to it's location in most cases.
You missed my point a little bit, I meant if something accidently got broke and the people were found to not be carrying anything illegal, then what would their recourse be? I would think something like that would happen occasionally, and figured there was a standard process
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #104
DTala
Ten Point
 
DTala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

flyby, funny thing about alerts. My Mal, Taz, alerted to cocaine by simply turning her head away and walking on, then back to sniffing. She hated the smell of cocaine. Any other narcotic she would bark and scratch. Her sire was exactly the same way, same alert. You had to keep one eye on her when searching!
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #105
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Parker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
You missed my point a little bit, I meant if something accidently got broke and the people were found to not be carrying anything illegal, then what would their recourse be? I would think something like that would happen occasionally, and figured there was a standard process
Never happened with me, but I do know someone whose dog bit an armrest. Department paid to replace it.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #106
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Parker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTala View Post
flyby, funny thing about alerts. My Mal, Taz, alerted to cocaine by simply turning her head away and walking on, then back to sniffing. She hated the smell of cocaine. Any other narcotic she would bark and scratch. Her sire was exactly the same way, same alert. You had to keep one eye on her when searching!
Ha, never seen that.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #107
DTala
Ten Point
 
DTala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

jshouse, I worked alone, with no close backup, all my career with game and fish. One thing I learned early is that you cannot catch all of them, all of the time. take what you can get.

I vehicle chased a fella one time over some very rough roads. He finally killed his truck on a jumpby knocking the battery loose. I bailed as he did, then he rushed me only to look down the barrel of my 40S&W. I ordered him down, he spun and ran. I saw no weapon so I sent my Mal. As he hit 100 acres of head high cat thorns I called the dog off as I didn't want to go in there. I saw thorn tops waving for 200 yards. Took a couple three weeks but we finally got him corralled and in jail, he looked like someone beat him with barbed wire.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #108
meltingfeather
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: austin
Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
I stop someone, dog alerts, driver says never been dope in the car. Dog says odor in the car. Who do I believe? Dog.
It's easy to train a dog to "alert" on command, which renders the probable cause requirement a farse... as if it weren't already.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #109
sotol
Four Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Nope, No, Nope....I was an officer for 30 years, of people said no, okay then.

I worked as a UC narc for years, and one assignment was to get stopped at a particular spot by a particular officer and have my vehicle searched. Needless to say, the officer isnt working anymore afyer the "search." Not going to into anymore though.....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Don't leave us hanging!!!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
sotol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #110
125Dad
Pope & Young
 
125Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: keller
Hunt In: Coke Co.
Default

I let them search so I can make a break for it.

Once in Midland I had a old crusty crooked Detective search my car and the look on his face when I ran was priceless.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #111
meltingfeather
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: austin
Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
You missed my point a little bit, I meant if something accidently got broke and the people were found to not be carrying anything illegal, then what would their recourse be? I would think something like that would happen occasionally, and figured there was a standard process
The standard process is you're probably SOL. It happens all the time.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #112
DTala
Ten Point
 
DTala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

I was searching a vehicle one morning occupied by two local drug dealers. I already had them under arrest for several game violations, and possession of a stolen firearm. I made em sit by an old building 20 feet away and told Taz to "stellen"...watch them. As I am searching I glance at Taz and she had rolled over on her back, all four feet up, head laid back watching them. I yelled at her and she spun over.

I asked the two if they knew what she was doing?? I said she is pretending to be asleep so ya'll will run and she can BITE you. Guy said my dog was evil....LOL

Her sire used to bump and growl at arrested perps to make em move or, better yet, run. You had to keep him away from the bad guys or he would start something.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #113
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
Um... Do you know where he obtained this wolf urine? I'll be picking up a wolf tag in a week and a half and that could be useful.




From this dude.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #114
xman59
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Yep pretty much because they will have no good reason to want to search my vehicle
if they have no reason it's not likely they will try,,, so you would just be a jerk because you could? not a very wise choice ,but hey its your right !, there are a lot of things they could come up with to make an arrest for the pleasure of towing your vehicle and giving you a ride,,, things that you may not even know are law,,,,, poor decision, just poor ..... why antagonize the police? maybe you think standing or sitting along the road in 100* heat in cuffs waiting for a dog to show up is fun,,, to each his own ....
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #115
CWendling
Six Point
 
CWendling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Nevada,tx
Hunt In: Coleman County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Never happened with me, but I do know someone whose dog bit an armrest. Department paid to replace it.
My first dog destroyed a lot of stuff finding dope in cars. Only once, when nothing was found, did the department pay. Everything else he broke or scratched up had dope in it and there were no payments made
CWendling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #116
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
I have found that such requests by law enforcement officers often gives me the chance to educate them on NFA law and compare cool work instruments...
Not in my case...a very young trooper told me my SBR & Suppressors were illegal, called for back up & kept me there searching every inch of my suburban for over an hour while I buddied it up with the senior troops now on scene.

After the search, now with 3 black & whites / 5 troops were verbally engaged in bitter disagreement with a coming citation because the beer can (open container) had clearly been there for an extreme period of time & in an area I could not have tossed. The young LE gave me my ticket & actually sped off / burning rubber with butt hurt I assume due to not being supported by superiors. I visited with the remaining troops for another 15 & they assisted putting my crap back in apologizing for the whole incident.

I will never - ever consent nor leave any of my firearms in open view.

The citation was dismissed by the judge via phone.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #117
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
bukkskins thread got this one rolling. I am not giving my input just yet. Curious to see what yall have to say in reference to a search of your vehicle.

Some of you seem to know a bit more then others. One hint. Operating a motor vehicle in Texas or this Country is a privilege not a right. Hope that helps.
When do we get to enjoy the benefit of your input?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #118
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

Yes sir, you may search everywhere except the trunk.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #119
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
if they have no reason it's not likely they will try,,, so you would just be a jerk because you could? not a very wise choice ,but hey its your right !, there are a lot of things they could come up with to make an arrest for the pleasure of towing your vehicle and giving you a ride,,, things that you may not even know are law,,,,, poor decision, just poor ..... why antagonize the police? maybe you think standing or sitting along the road in 100* heat in cuffs waiting for a dog to show up is fun,,, to each his own ....
Being arrested isn’t as bad as some people think haha
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #120
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point
 
Anvilheadtexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Heights
Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)
Default

Here’s one that I don’t recommend trying. You and your buds get a hold of an old VW bus.....Preferably with Colorado plates. Slap a few Dead stickers on it and maybe even a “Willy for Prez” bumper sticker. Toss your stash in it for about a week and let it marinate. If you score the VW bus from Colorado you might already be pre-marinated and have that proper smell from the start. When the time is right and you have a few hours to kill standing on the road-side, remove the stash (I strongly suggest triple checking that this step takes place). Cruise through Flyby’s jurisdiction creeping at that “I’m trying to get away with something” speed (5 miles over speed limit typically). Once pulled over (don’t worry, you will be) his pooch will hit on the scent sending Flyby into full on search mode. If you probably planned for this prank he won’t find anything ( if you hadn’t you’re going to jail). Wait in till you can see frustration brewing or at the point he begins ripping out the seats. At that time, spring the big surprise on him that it’s all just a good clean Texas Bow Hunter prank. Refer to this thread. If he refuses to chuckle immediately change the subject and ask him how his deer season is going. Report back to us here.

I hope we all find humour in this.

Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 05-16-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #121
hpdrifter
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: kerens
Hunt In: anywhere I can
Default

The way I understood a SC ruling years ago, any search with reasonable cause that turns up contraband is a good search.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #122
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Parker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
Here’s one that I don’t recommend trying. You and your buds get a hold of an old VW bus.....Preferably with Colorado plates. Slap a few Dead stickers on it and maybe even a “Willy for Prez” bumper sticker. Toss your stash in it for about a week and let it marinate. If you score the VW bus from Colorado you might already be pre-marinated and have that proper smell from the start. When the time is right and you have a few hours to kill standing on the road-side, remove the stash (I strongly suggest triple checking that this step takes place). Cruise through Flyby’s jurisdiction creeping at that “I’m trying to get away with something” speed (5 miles over speed limit typically). Once pulled over (don’t worry, you will be) his pooch will hit on the scent sending Flyby into full on search mode. If you probably planned for this prank he won’t find anything ( if you hadn’t you’re going to jail). Wait in till you can see brewing or at the point he begins ripping out the seats. At that time, spring the big surprise on him that it’s all just a good clean Texas Bow Hunter prank. Refer to this thread. If he refuses to chuckle immediately change the subject and ask him how his deer season is going. Report back to us here.

I hope we all find humour in this.
So, who's going to step up?

It's really not that uncommon to have an alert and not find anything. Talking to the occupants afterwards usually validates the alert ("We smoked a blunt in there a few hours ago" type of thing). Don't get upset when nothing is found, but always appreciate the honesty to validate the alert.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 AM   #123
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Parker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
The way I understood a SC ruling years ago, any search with reasonable cause that turns up contraband is a good search.
Not sure on this....need probable cause to search a vehicle, or a search warrant. Without one or the other the search is illegal and any contraband located would be thrown out in court.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #124
Bruiser
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
When do we get to enjoy the benefit of your input?
he likes posting here then talking about it on other sites
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #125
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Not sure on this....need probable cause to search a vehicle, or a search warrant. Without one or the other the search is illegal and any contraband located would be thrown out in court.
Consent would be a third way.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #126
tgil
Pope & Young
 
tgil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burleson, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTala View Post
I was searching a vehicle one morning occupied by two local drug dealers. I already had them under arrest for several game violations, and possession of a stolen firearm. I made em sit by an old building 20 feet away and told Taz to "stellen"...watch them. As I am searching I glance at Taz and she had rolled over on her back, all four feet up, head laid back watching them. I yelled at her and she spun over.

I asked the two if they knew what she was doing?? I said she is pretending to be asleep so ya'll will run and she can BITE you. Guy said my dog was evil....LOL

Her sire used to bump and growl at arrested perps to make em move or, better yet, run. You had to keep him away from the bad guys or he would start something.
That's funny!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #127
wal1809
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default

I am fairly sure this will rustle a few feathers but what the he!! I been a lawman for a minute or two. I am also a professional dog trainer. I do not like the use of K9 searches for dope. I used to be a "Your arse is jail bound for any usable amount" kind of police. I was police before the term "Usable amount" was introduced. My pendulum has swung all the way to the opposite side.

There are multiple reasons why I don't like the use of k9. One is from my personal experience with an officer and his K9. This was not hear say, it was with my own eyeballs I witnessed. This officer was a flat out lying POS. I raised holy hell after what I saw and nobody did a effing thing about it. I am talking about slamming door behind me raising 9 kinds of hell shouting match with my boss. Nobody would allow that can of worms to be opened. I was set on course to catch this bad cop on video and let it out to the public when all of a sudden his own doings got him in a world of hurt. His K9 program vanished. Since then I became more aware of what has been happening.

I have read up on failure rates/ success rates (Depends on how you choose to see it). If you're the handler, you call it a success rate. If you're not a handler, its a failure rate. The supreme court's decision on failure rates are too low for my liking, when considering what is at stake here. I don't see dope getting away on a stop as what is at stake. The 4th is what is at stake. Each and every God given right should be coveted by everyone, including law dogs. We can not give up a thread of our freedoms. That is very dangerous for us.

The last part has disturbed me for a long time. We have police kicking in doors across the nation for weed. At the same time one can go to the local store, bar, restaurant ect and get a legal drug, alcohol. Have you ever noticed people describe the two differently, drugs and alcohol. They are the same thing. If you induce a chemical that will alter your mental and physical faculties, its a drug. The government used to kick in doors for the drug we know as alcohol. Then all of a sudden it was OK and they turned to the drug we call marijuana. What a ride that has been, what an absolute failure that has been.

The most mind blowing thing is the medical use people could have had all along. The opinions are slowly starting to change but at what expense? The government started a a campaign against marijuana and it was absolutely effective for 75 years. That is changing rapidly now and thank goodness. Stop spending our tax dollars on this bullcrap called the war on drugs.

So from an old and **** near retired cop, take this advice or leave it. Learn your God given rights and what they mean. Use them because you can bet your arse a soldier died to give you those rights. Men were butchered throughout our history to give you the chance to exercise your rights. It is my true belief that at the very least we owe them, is to exercise our rights. Coming from a lawman, respectfully decline any searches, exercise your right to speak or not to speak. To me that is being a good citizen. It is our duty to keep the government in check. If we allow a slow creeping onto our rights, the very foundation of this nation will crumble.


For your viewing pleasure
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2ed133fa343a

Last edited by wal1809; 05-17-2018 at 09:09 AM. Reason: additional
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #128
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
bukkskins thread got this one rolling. I am not giving my input just yet. Curious to see what yall have to say in reference to a search of your vehicle.

Some of you seem to know a bit more then others. One hint. Operating a motor vehicle in Texas or this Country is a privilege not a right. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
Almost there..........but not quite. Your on to something I will say that.

...waiting.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #129
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal1809 View Post
I am fairly sure this will rustle a few feathers but what the he!! I been a lawman for a minute or two. I am also a professional dog trainer. I do not like the use of K9 searches for dope. I used to be a "Your arse is jail bound for any usable amount" kind of police. I was police before the term "Usable amount" was introduced. My pendulum has swung all the way to the opposite side.

There are multiple reasons why I don't like the use of k9. One is from my personal experience with an officer and his K9. This was not hear say, it was with my own eyeballs I witnessed. This officer was a flat out lying POS. I raised holy hell after what I saw and nobody did a effing thing about it. I am talking about slamming door behind me raising 9 kinds of hell shouting match with my boss. Nobody would allow that can of worms to be opened. I was set on course to catch this bad cop on video and let it out to the public when all of a sudden his own doings got him in a world of hurt. His K9 program vanished. Since then I became more aware of what has been happening.

I have read up on failure rates/ success rates (Depends on how you choose to see it). If you're the handler, you call it a success rate. If you're not a handler, its a failure rate. The supreme court's decision on failure rates are too low for my liking, when considering what is at stake here. I don't see dope getting away on a stop as what is at stake. The 4th is what is at stake. Each and every God given right should be coveted by everyone, including law dogs. We can not give up a thread of our freedoms. That is very dangerous for us.

The last part has disturbed me for a long time. We have police kicking in doors across the nation for weed. At the same time one can go to the local store, bar, restaurant ect and get a legal drug, alcohol. Have you ever noticed people describe the two differently, drugs and alcohol. They are the same thing. If you induce a chemical that will alter your mental and physical faculties, its a drug. The government used to kick in doors for the drug we know as alcohol. Then all of a sudden it was OK and they turned to the drug we call marijuana. What a ride that has been, what an absolute failure that has been.

The most mind blowing thing is the medical use people could have had all along. The opinions are slowly starting to change but at what expense? The government started a a campaign against marijuana and it was absolutely effective for 75 years. That is changing rapidly now and thank goodness. Stop spending our tax dollars on this bullcrap called the war on drugs.

So from an old and **** near retired cop, take this advice or leave it. Learn your God given rights and what they mean. Use them because you can bet your arse a soldier died to give you those rights. Men were butchered throughout our history to give you the chance to exercise your rights. It is my true belief that at the very least we owe them, is to exercise our rights. Coming from a lawman, respectfully decline any searches, exercise your right to speak or not to speak. To me that is being a good citizen. It is our duty to keep the government in check. If we allow a slow creeping onto our rights, the very foundation of this nation will crumble.


For your viewing pleasure
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2ed133fa343a
I respect your opinion and congrats on the coming retirement

Do you feel the same about cocaine, meth and heroin? Should we just give up on trying to get it off the street? Should we (officers) stand up in the name of our rights and stop asking to search vehicles?

I see your point, and feel the same about marijuana for the most part, but in the end I know there are "bad guys" carrying pounds/kilos of drugs through my city every day and feel they need to be dealt with.

Whats funny is that I seized hundreds of pounds of weed on consent searches and didn't start getting denials until I got the k9.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #130
125Dad
Pope & Young
 
125Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: keller
Hunt In: Coke Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
...waiting.
Maybe the search did not go well.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #131
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Parker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal1809 View Post
I am fairly sure this will rustle a few feathers but what the he!! I been a lawman for a minute or two. I am also a professional dog trainer. I do not like the use of K9 searches for dope. I used to be a "Your arse is jail bound for any usable amount" kind of police. I was police before the term "Usable amount" was introduced. My pendulum has swung all the way to the opposite side.

There are multiple reasons why I don't like the use of k9. One is from my personal experience with an officer and his K9. This was not hear say, it was with my own eyeballs I witnessed. This officer was a flat out lying POS. I raised holy hell after what I saw and nobody did a effing thing about it. I am talking about slamming door behind me raising 9 kinds of hell shouting match with my boss. Nobody would allow that can of worms to be opened. I was set on course to catch this bad cop on video and let it out to the public when all of a sudden his own doings got him in a world of hurt. His K9 program vanished. Since then I became more aware of what has been happening.

I have read up on failure rates/ success rates (Depends on how you choose to see it). If you're the handler, you call it a success rate. If you're not a handler, its a failure rate. The supreme court's decision on failure rates are too low for my liking, when considering what is at stake here. I don't see dope getting away on a stop as what is at stake. The 4th is what is at stake. Each and every God given right should be coveted by everyone, including law dogs. We can not give up a thread of our freedoms. That is very dangerous for us.

Not sure how much you keep up with K9 case law or training methods, but yes, things have changed over the years.
Due to case law we have changed how we train. One example- one person hides dope in a room. Handler and K9 obviously don't know where it's at.
Handler and K9 ONLY enter room- person who hid dope stays outside with door closed. When handler calls alert the person who hid the dope looks in to confirm. This way the handler can't cue the dog, and the person who hid the dope can't cue the handler.

I agree that a higher standard should be put on K9 accuracy and certification.
That being said, at last check my dog was about 98% in training and 86% on the street. The courts recognize training as being more accurate because it's done under controlled conditions. Example- Joe Blow takes 2 lbs of weed to his buddies house. I stop Joe on his way home. My dog alerts but we don't find anything. Joe lies and says never any dope in his car. Was the dog wrong? Nope, the dog alerts to odor of narcotics, not narcotics themselves.


The last part has disturbed me for a long time. We have police kicking in doors across the nation for weed. At the same time one can go to the local store, bar, restaurant ect and get a legal drug, alcohol. Have you ever noticed people describe the two differently, drugs and alcohol. They are the same thing. If you induce a chemical that will alter your mental and physical faculties, its a drug. The government used to kick in doors for the drug we know as alcohol. Then all of a sudden it was OK and they turned to the drug we call marijuana. What a ride that has been, what an absolute failure that has been.

Going to go with J House on this one- feel the same about heroin, meth, coke, GHB, PCP? In my experience 80+% of the time I've found these drugs there was MJ with them. Is that saying some people don't just use weed? No, but on the others there is almost always a correlation with weed.

The most mind blowing thing is the medical use people could have had all along. The opinions are slowly starting to change but at what expense? The government started a a campaign against marijuana and it was absolutely effective for 75 years. That is changing rapidly now and thank goodness. Stop spending our tax dollars on this bullcrap called the war on drugs.

So from an old and **** near retired cop, take this advice or leave it. Learn your God given rights and what they mean. Use them because you can bet your arse a soldier died to give you those rights. Men were butchered throughout our history to give you the chance to exercise your rights. It is my true belief that at the very least we owe them, is to exercise our rights. Coming from a lawman, respectfully decline any searches, exercise your right to speak or not to speak. To me that is being a good citizen. It is our duty to keep the government in check. If we allow a slow creeping onto our rights, the very foundation of this nation will crumble.


For your viewing pleasure
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2ed133fa343a
Agree to disagree on most, but your entitled to your views. I also will retire in the next few years, but have been eligible for awhile.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #132
DTala
Ten Point
 
DTala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
So, who's going to step up?

It's really not that uncommon to have an alert and not find anything. Talking to the occupants afterwards usually validates the alert ("We smoked a blunt in there a few hours ago" type of thing). Don't get upset when nothing is found, but always appreciate the honesty to validate the alert.
My Mal, Taz, alerted on the gas cap of a vehicle in a school parking lot when I was assisting the local SO. Got the owner(kid) out of class to open the car. We found no drugs so I questioned the kid. I asked him where he bought gas that morning. He asked how I knew he bought gas? I told him after he and his buddies smoked a joint they stopped for gas and he left drug residue on the gas cap. His eyes got big as he realized I knew I was right.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #133
CEO
Ten Point
 
CEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
So what if you are part of the 14% that the dog alerts on and there are no drugs in the car? If you tear the car up searching and don't find anything is the city/state responsible for the damage or is it time for the driver to lawyer up?
I had a week old F150 in high school that a dog alerted to. Turns out he really wanted the honeybun my buddy threw in the bed. I asked who is responsible for the scratched up tailgate from the dog climbing in the back. "You're SOL" was the response.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #134
mmoses
Ten Point
 
mmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: League City TX
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I respect your opinion and congrats on the coming retirement

Do you feel the same about cocaine, meth and heroin? Should we just give up on trying to get it off the street? Should we (officers) stand up in the name of our rights and stop asking to search vehicles?

I see your point, and feel the same about marijuana for the most part, but in the end I know there are "bad guys" carrying pounds/kilos of drugs through my city every day and feel they need to be dealt with.

Whats funny is that I seized hundreds of pounds of weed on consent searches and didn't start getting denials until I got the k9.
You took an oath to stand up for those rights. You decide what that means to you.

If someone refuses to give up those right, well it should be their right to do it. I dont care what the supreme court says I do not believe a dog or probable cause is a good reason to search someone's property without a warrant.

Personally, I will never submit to a search and wont give ID for a random stop(not driving a vehicle)
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #135
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgil View Post
These threads make me chuckle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
x'2! I wonder the "original" reason and certainly laugh at some responses!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #136
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point
 
NAVY CHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: HUTTO, TX
Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS
Default

Search if u like but first I must let you know my glock is under the console and its hot.....and my backup is in the console along with about 6 full magz ready to go! I have Dv plates and retired Navy on the back with my NRA sticker so I'm assuming not.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #137
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
Search if u like but first I must let you know my glock is under the console and its hot.....and my backup is in the console along with about 6 full magz ready to go! I have Dv plates and retired Navy on the back with my NRA sticker so I'm assuming not.
I've seen about $500k in cash come out of the trunk of a car with a navy sticker on the back and an (at the time) active seal driving it. In the debrief he admitted he was transporting cocaine/money back and forth from new Orleans to San Diego.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #138
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

How would law enforcement handle a very small amount of medical cannabis in a vehicle? Less than six ounces with a legal medical cannabis prescription card holder?
Maybe edibles, wax or butter instead of cannabis buds?
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #139
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
I had a week old F150 in high school that a dog alerted to. Turns out he really wanted the honeybun my buddy threw in the bed. I asked who is responsible for the scratched up tailgate from the dog climbing in the back. "You're SOL" was the response.

So it looks like the answer is lawyer up, kinda what I figured
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #140
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
How would law enforcement handle a very small amount of medical cannabis in a vehicle? Less than six ounces with a legal medical cannabis prescription card holder?
Maybe edibles, wax or butter instead of cannabis buds?
In what state?


In Tx just like anyone else with some weed. If I was personally gonna have a “very small amount” it would be less than 2oz
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #141
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I've seen about $500k in cash come out of the trunk of a car with a navy sticker on the back and an (at the time) active seal driving it. In the debrief he admitted he was transporting cocaine/money back and forth from new Orleans to San Diego.
So what you are saying is that not all military and law enforcement are honest people? Sounds like a dam* good reason to be very protective of our rights, wouldn't you think?
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #142
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
So what you are saying is that not all military and law enforcement are honest people? Sounds like a dam* good reason to be very protective of our rights, wouldn't you think?
Sure. We could also add to that list mechanics, ac guys, taxidermists, doctors, lawyers, painters, tile guys....
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #143
xman59
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Being arrested isn’t as bad as some people think haha


true! some people make a living out of it, sometimes just so they can go see the doctor
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #144
jefandaward
Ten Point
 
jefandaward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Steuben, Michigan
Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
No sir, not happening without a warrant or a mess.

I refused one when I was probably 20. Got pulled over for no good reason (in my opinion, since I’ve never had a ticket). Guy was a *****, asking me where I was going (hunting), and other questions. Told me he wanted to search my vehicle because I was “acting suspiciously”. I declined.

He said he was gonna call a dog in if I didn’t consent, so I told him to get on the horn. Took them too long to get there so he “had to let me go”. Left a bad taste in my mouth that remains to this day!
Too many bad apples in the bunch for me too. I’ll let them all talk about their duty and honor but really most of them will go along with whatever they’re told by the folks in charge. Oath keepers are cool but the rest are just Gestapo in the making.
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #145
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Sure. We could also add to that list mechanics, ac guys, taxidermists, doctors, lawyers, painters, tile guys....
100% correct, since LEOs are made up of the public, then just like with the public there are good ones and bad ones. The difference though is abad cop can mess up your life, anyone else just mess up your stuff (except maybe doctors). That is why it is so important to not let peoples rights erode anymore than they already have. For the record I have met some cops that are good guys, I also have known some that are/were dope heads, and know of some who have done much worse. Would you want you lively hood placed in the hands of a bad cop, probably no more than you want your tile laid by bad floor guys
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #146
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefandaward View Post
Too many bad apples in the bunch for me too. I’ll let them all talk about their duty and honor but really most of them will go along with whatever they’re told by the folks in charge. Oath keepers are cool but the rest are just Gestapo in the making.
This is so false but hey, you do you bud.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #147
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefandaward View Post
Too many bad apples in the bunch for me too. I’ll let them all talk about their duty and honor but really most of them will go along with whatever they’re told by the folks in charge. Oath keepers are cool but the rest are just Gestapo in the making.

Yep, I seen several say they wouldn't take people's guns, but they sure did in New Orleans.
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #148
tvc184
Pope & Young
 
tvc184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Golden Triangle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
Rodriguez doesn’t negate the dogs run around a car. It questions the length of the detention.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #149
jefandaward
Ten Point
 
jefandaward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Steuben, Michigan
Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Yep, I seen several say they wouldn't take people's guns, but they sure did in New Orleans.
Don’t you ever forget it.
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #150
doghouse
Pope & Young
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Goldthwaite
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

I was on a recent Grand Jury in Texas and we were Indicting people for weed that was legal in Colorado. Mixed emotions but illegal in Texas. No choice to follow the laws of Texas. Hope the Judge was easy on them,
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com