Planting Maple Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting Maple Trees

Anyone had any luck planting red maples on their farm or ranch here in the southern half of Texas?

in it for the info

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
      Anyone had any luck planting red maples on their farm or ranch here in the southern half of Texas?
      Silver or Red?

Comment

They will only grow well in east Texas. In the rest of Texas they will struggle and be stunted or outright die. If you are dead set on trying, then dig a huge hole (at least 3ftĂ—3ft), fill it with soil that has a pH of 7 or less (5.5-6 would be ideal), and you will have to water them very often in Summer for the rest of your life.

Comment

What is your goal and why the interest in Red Maples? If it's for the fall color, then I would recommend quite a few other species that would be more suited to our area. Red Maples (Maples in general) have a very shallow root system and often have large, roots running along the surface, more so than most other species. Like previously mentioned, they don't do very well in our soils.

Comment

Regarding the Silver Maple: It will do much better and is naturally found in East Texas. Specifically found in the wetter/black/clay areas along N59 from Kingwood an on to the North.

Regarding the Red Maple: Not easy, but can be nurtured. Ours is planted in soil that included 2' of select compact fill (not ideal). As suggested previously, I did remove a cubic yard of soil and replaced with a mix of top soil and organic material. 16 years later and that 30 gallon Red Maple is over 25' tall. We do not over-irrigate and only water when the lawn shows stress. It is the neighborhood's favorite tree in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              What is your goal and why the interest in Red Maples? If it's for the fall color, then I would recommend quite a few other species that would be more suited to our area. Red Maples (Maples in general) have a very shallow root system and often have large, roots running along the surface, more so than most other species. Like previously mentioned, they don't do very well in our soils.
              Yes, it is for the color. What would you recommend?

Comment

I live in Carthage Texas so not quite as far south as you...but I have a lot on my property that are there naturally and seem to do really well, oddly though a good bit of mine are "clumpy" if you will. Honestly, had several people look at me funny when I mentioned that I had maple trees growing; mine are the red variety and are beautiful when they start changing colors.

Comment

Bigtooth Maples is what I plant, but I live in Burnet county. They do well. Visit nurseries in early November to see trees as they are changing colors, that way you can choose different ones with different colors. Some are yellow, some are orange and some are red.

Comment

Working...
                  X