Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa NWR

Anyone on TBH been on this hunt?

I was drawn for the 11/16-20 archery hunt.

Just looking for intel, info and success or horror stories.

Thanks TXBC

I applied for the gun hunt. Looks like there's some reports the past few years if you search.

Comment

My group got drawn for the 11/30 - 12/4 hunt this year. We attended the exotic archery hunt at laguna last year. It is some rough country and extremely hard hunting. But in my eyes it is well worth the experience. We saw some nilgai and whitetail. But none of the nilgai were within bow range last year.

Comment

See you there. Hunted there last year. It is huge and rough. Lots of game. It is a lot of thick brush with open coastal pastures towards the bay. Plan on lots of walking & biking and thick clouds of mosquitoes.

Comment

Yep. Hunted two years in a row. Didn’t get drawn this year but got drawn for Teniente. There’s a couple threads up already and several from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Triprhw View Post
            See you there. Hunted there last year. It is huge and rough. Lots of game. It is a lot of thick brush with open coastal pastures towards the bay. Plan on lots of walking & biking and thick clouds of mosquitoes.
            Thanks! Yeah, familiar with the terrain and figured the mosquitoes were horrible! Do they allow electric powered bikes, like a Quitecat?

Comment

electric bikes are not allowed. i did see a guy use one two years ago, but it specifically says no motorized vehicles in the guidelines.

i will be there the same time nov 16-20

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                electric bikes are not allowed. i did see a guy use one two years ago, but it specifically says no motorized vehicles in the guidelines.

Roger that.

I'll have the MTN Bike dialed in.

Have you hunted this before?

Comment

yes, i went two years ago on the archery hunt.
                  happy to chat about it if you want some insights

i saw 28 nilgai, had 12 in rifle range, 6 in bow range, and was only able to fire 2 arrows. didn't come home with any though.
                  one i missed at 8 yards in a ton of brush with a bang bang kind of shot and the other i hit in the top of her shoulder and it deflected up and away. she was walking down a bank and so when she ducked the arrow it created a weird shot angle. it skimmed her and did not penetrate the hide

a better hunter would have landed her

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post

I used one last year as well. In Texas electric bikes are not considered motorized vehicles unless they can go over 20 mph. Most do not. The hunt guidelines do state no motorized vehicles but doesnt say anything about ebikes specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                      I used one last year as well. In Texas electric bikes are not considered motorized vehicles unless they can go over 20 mph. Most do not. The hunt guidelines do state no motorized vehicles but doesnt say anything about ebikes specifically.
                      There’s always gotta be one.

You know they mean no motorized vehicles at all, regardless if 1 or 100 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post

Then they should spell that out. I dont assume anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post

And it does say bicycles are allowed. Doesnt specify as to what type.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedmoreOutdoor View Post
                            My group got drawn for the 11/30 - 12/4 hunt this year. We attended the exotic archery hunt at laguna last year. It is some rough country and extremely hard hunting. But in my eyes it is well worth the experience. We saw some nilgai and whitetail. But none of the nilgai were within bow range last year.
                            My group got drawn for the same hunt.

Comment

Working...
                            X