Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're group needs a place to stay (cabin) send me private message

Comment

Many years ago, 35 or so, everyone camped on the side of the road outside of the entrance. Do the still do that?

Comment

Looks like I'll make my first trip to Aransas this year. By my math, 2017 Gun season yielded a 14% success rate on deer. That's not promising, hopefully Harvey had a lot to do with that and we see better number this year.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
          Many years ago, 35 or so, everyone camped on the side of the road outside of the entrance. Do the still do that?
          No, you can thank Rick Perry.

Comment

This hunt is so early, ONLY 4 weeks away!

Who is going to scout on the 22nd/23rd?

My partners and I will be

Comment

I won't be making it on 22/23, will be dove hunting for wife's bday. I will be there to scout on 28th.

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
              This hunt is so early, ONLY 4 weeks away!

Who is going to scout on the 22nd/23rd?

My partners and I will be

Comment

I will also be there the 28th too.

Just a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are REALLY going to do your scouting the 1ST DAY of the hunt, you won't be making friends with guys that already did their scouting and are hunting when you come busting through the area they are currently hunting. Please have common decency and some sportsman-like etiquette and quietly move out the area if you encroach someone.

More importantly, if you are having to scout the first day of the hunt, WAIT UNTIL several hours(4) after sunrise. Don't be that guy breaking brush at dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  I will also be there the 28th too.

Just a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are REALLY going to do your scouting the 1ST DAY of the hunt, you won't be making friends with guys that already did their scouting and are hunting when you come busting through the area they are currently hunting. Please have common decency and some sportsman-like etiquette and quietly move out the area if you encroach someone.

More importantly, if you are having to scout the first day of the hunt, WAIT UNTIL several hours(4) after sunrise. Don't be that guy breaking brush at dawn.
                  I agree with this statement 100 percent. If you see a vehicle parked on the road, move on. You start seeing flags, move on. There is too much land for us to get crammed on.

Flags really do help when trying to mark an area, just be sure to use the biodegradeable ones.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bsgp8ntball View Post
                    Looks like I'll make my first trip to Aransas this year. By my math, 2017 Gun season yielded a 14% success rate on deer. That's not promising, hopefully Harvey had a lot to do with that and we see better number this year.
                    I don’t get why they won’t allow feed like TPWD does.

Comment

Aransas TIPS

Scout before opening day if at all possible.

Look for signs of other hunters.

Forget stalking. The vegetation is so thick your odds of getting off a percentage shot is nill. Besides you will probably upset other hunters.

When still hunting you may as well expect some yo yo to come walking up.
                      It happens all the time.

No camping outside the gate as in the past. No camping on the refuge,

If you stay in Rockport or Port Lavaca expect fog in the morning. It happens this time of the year. Can be very thick.

Plan to use a tripod or ladder stand. Pop ups are not very effective, but could help with mosquitos and rain.

Mark your parking spot and tripod. Use your cell phone. This place can look very different in darkness, more so with fog.

It will probably be hot and humid....hydrate.

Take some rubber boots many ditches are full of water, especially if it rains between now and then.
                      Take snake leggings, permethin for ticks, mosquito spray,load up on Thermacell. Get a face mask for more mosquito protection.
                      Take a heavy camo shirt for mosquito bite protection. May be hot, but keeps you still enough to hunt.

Expect the worse, but hope for the best.

Trust me, if you are not prepared you will leave before your planned departure date.

Aransas will be the most challenging hunt for most of us this yeat, if not our life time.

If you are solo, find a partner.

Refuge phones are out. Thanks to Harvey.

Last but not least, know that a government shutdown has happened under Bill Clinton with me in the 3rd truck at the gate on opening morning. Not hunting at all. Had to come back 2 weeks later to get my tripods. Vote Republicqan!

Comment

bicycles?

Does anybody know for true if bicycles are allowed or not? Nothing in the hunt docs. NWR website says bicycles only on loop road, but wondering if they relax that for the hunt.

Comment

Im guessing there are no trees that will take a climber?

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
                            Im guessing there are no trees that will take a climber?
                            No, from everything I have read and understood it's not the best place for a climber.

Comment

Well, I will be scouting both scouting days and hopefully on the 28th as well. Unfortunately, I won't be there until late in the afternoon so will have very limited time to scout. Lucky for me I only live about an hour away from the nwr so I will be making several evening trips that week after work. Plus I will be hunting morning and evening of the Wednesday and Thursday that week. I have done a TON of e-scouting and have several areas of interest. I plan on taking a drive through the visitors loop just to get a better feel for the country and terrain. I enjoy hard hunts honestly, so I'm really looking forward to this hunt. The only thing I'm dreading/worried about is the skeeters. Plan on deploying several different tactics to try and minimize the dreaded miniature vampires.

Comment

Going to drive in on 27th,set up tent at Hoppers, and scout the 28th.

Comment

Working...
                                X