Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AntlerMax / Time of Year?

Hey gang -

So, I picked a new side of my property to hunt this year - kind of a secret little place that's hopefully going to work out. I've been keeping the weeds out and some corn on the ground. Touched up the tree stand; that kind of thing.

Two weekends ago I poured out 2 bags of corn and some Antlermax because I finally got my trail cams working (or so I thought, different story). I went back this past weekend to do some work at the ranch and check up on my stuff. Not a scrap of corn was left, but the antlermax was largely untouched. Of course I don't have any photos because my camera was jacked up. But, anyone have thoughts as to why this would be the case? Is my timing off?

-LaS.

Did you just throw it on the ground, or were they in two separate feeders?

Comment

I mixed them together and hand-spread it...(which really sucked because it totaled out at somewhere near 140lbs)

Comment

Have you fed protein in the past? If not they probably won't take to it very quickly.

Also, protein spread on the ground tends to get moisture in it and mold pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
          Have you fed protein in the past? If not they probably won't take to it very quickly.

Also, protein spread on the ground tends to get moisture in it and mold pretty quick.
          Good call on the water thing - I got the antlermax with watershield (forgot to mention that). But, that's good to know. I only got the WS version because it's what they had.

Didn't think about protein needing to be not on the ground.

Flash edit: no, I've never fed protein before.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
            Good call on the water thing - I got the antlermax with watershield (forgot to mention that). But, that's good to know. I only got the WS version because it's what they had.

You're on the right track of mixing it with corn to start out. However, you will need to have it in a gravity type feeder for full effect. Even though you picked up the WS type, it will still dissolve & mold up after a decent rain.

Comment

Originally posted by antonlsu View Post
              Even though you picked up the WS type, it will still dissolve & mold up after a decent rain.
              He's 100% correct.

Comment

We feed Protien year around and my experience has been that most deer won’t touch Protien on the ground. Even the stuff that fall from the feed ports of the feeder is usually left to coons and mice.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post

Protein isnt a good attractant, unless the deer know what it is and like it. Get the biggest free choice gravity protein feeder that you can afford and keep it feeding January - September. Or forget about the protein and just keep spreading corn on the ground.

Comment

I have the opposite experience as most people. We use a protein feeder in 1 pen and they tear it up, put some in a broadcast feeder on a new pen we just put up and they eat it off the ground no problem.

Comment

Hmm, ok. This is all good intel. I have a feeder at home I'm probably going to try converting to a gravity feeder once I get my hands on some PVC. I might let my main feeder sling corn and just use this other for protein.

Comment

It will take a couple weeks for them to adjust to the protien. Once the do they will eat it anywhere. Mine spill a bunch on the ground under the feeder and I have pictures of deer eating from the feeder while others are eating from the ground under the feeder. I've read where it takes 7 years to really be able to notice a difference in your heard.

I feed year round and right now my heard is going thru 125-175# a week.
                        Last edited by Bazo; 08-08-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X