Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me keep lady bugs out of my cabin???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me keep lady bugs out of my cabin???

Every fall, my cabin becomes infested with lady bugs. Thousands and thousands of them. I have to vacuum them up with a shop vac. I finally figured out where they were getting in last year...thru my window unit AC. I cut a hole in the cabin wall and they come inthru the actual AC unit. I’ve started covering the unit up since last year with a plastic bin when I’m not there in NE Tx.

Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone else experienced this weird phenomena?

TIA!

I bet those are Asian Beetles. They are terrible indeed. Don’t know how to combat them. We had them in every vehicle last year. They were worse on the 2nd ranch I worked on that was adjacent to a very thick growth of oak trees in NE TX. There must’ve been hundreds of thousands of those beetles everywhere you looked. When they’re all over two ranches like that, I don’t imagine there’s any quick solution on thousands of acres.
    Last edited by Worksalot; 09-28-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
      I bet those are Asian Beetles. They are terrible indeed. Don’t know how to combat them. We had them in every vehicle last year. They were worse on the 2nd ranch I worked on that was adjacent to a very thick growth of oak trees in NE TX. There must’ve been hundreds of thousands of those beetles everywhere you looked. When they’re all over two ranches like that, I don’t imagine there’s any quick solution on thousands of acres.

Edit: wonder if you could grind up mothballs and add hot pepper extract and water to make a sprayable mixture that could be applied to all exterior surfaces near openings. Just don’t get it on your skin, clothing, in eyes, or breath it in. Not really sure what might work when there are that many.

Comment

Ladybug control

I had good success with Raid Fumigator (deep penetrating fog) not the spray kind. I use 3 of them in a 900 sqft cabin couple times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
          Edit: wonder if you could grind up mothballs and add hot pepper extract and water to make a sprayable mixture that could be applied to all exterior surfaces near openings. Just don’t get it on your skin, clothing, in eyes, or breath it in. Not really sure what might work when there are that many.
          I did some internet searches...supposedly, they hate citrus smells and peppermint. I’ve got some peppermint oil that i may leave out and then spray the ac unit with pyrethrin.

Comment

Those are good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Those are good luck.
              I have the same problem. It's not good luck when hundreds of them die and are everywhere. They are a pain when they get embedded in the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                I did some internet searches...supposedly, they hate citrus smells and peppermint. I’ve got some peppermint oil that i may leave out and then spray the ac unit with pyrethrin.
                Good to know.

Forgot that when I was painting the exterior of my little aunt’s house before she passed away, those things kept swarming and getting inside. She bought some kind of organic labeled bug spray that smelled minty. She had me spray that around and it appeared to help quite a bit. It was in an aerosol can.

Comment

Just put a sign up and make it a ladybug free zone.

Comment

I have heard get a shallow pan like cake pan, fill it half full of Cider Vinegar they its suppose to attract them and they drown.
                    Actually if they are actual Lady bugs they are very good for your gardens they eat aphids and other microscopic bugs.. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                      I have heard get a shallow pan like cake pan, fill it half full of Cider Vinegar they its suppose to attract them and they drown.
                      Actually if they are actual Lady bugs they are very good for your gardens they eat aphids and other microscopic bugs.. Good Luck
                      I don’t have actual lady bugs, they are the Asian kind...much lighter and less red.

Comment

Working...
                      X