No announcement yet.

Navigating new ranch with no cell service help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

onx and use the off grid as stated above. It is extra accurate. Just be sure to download the map or maps while you have service. Then when you get to the property open it up and drive around and let it track you on the roads. Then hit save track and the roads will be saved.

Comment

there was a great post on this about GPS

Comment

I'm good at finding my way. Just let me come be your guide. I use a GPS when Im in the mountains the first time until I get bearings strait.

Comment

are these apps free or if not, how much are they ?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAg97 View Post
            Easiest thing would be to download the google map for your area if it's got enough detail to be useful. Downloads only last about 3 months i think. There are also a number of mapping apps that you can use that use GPS signal and don't rely on cell where you can download topo maps. GAIA GPS is one I use.

I downloaded the GAIA GPS app. Went around the neighborhood and set waypoints. Went back to the house and find waypoint 1. It said I was 1,457 miles away.

It had my location somewhere in California... could not figure out how to correct it.

Comment

Huntstand and ON X Maps are owned by the same company. Hunt stand is geared more toward hunters. It gives wind direction and all that on X does. Go and download map offline, save and open when on property. Hunt stand also gives you land parcel name/owner information. ON X does that also, but you have to pay for it. Hunt stand is free.

Comment

ever think about labeling the roads with roadsigns.

Comment

I use onX hunt for our duck hunts in Louisiana with no cell service. You pre download your hunt area and it all still works when you have no service. Saves our tails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Time to go old school -

Printed topo and aerial maps, compass, flagging tape.

Comment

We ran a day hunt operation on a 6300 acre ranch for about 10 years. New hunters could find their way to a stand in the dark.

Every stand was color coded and the route marked with same color flagging tape. Also had colored arrow signs at ever intersection or gate showing the direction to turn.

Took a little work to get it set up, but once done only had to replace flagging tape periodically.

Trailboss

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplay43 View Post
                        I wanted to see what you guys are using technology wise (if it exists) to help navigate the ranch where there is no cell service. We currently do not have a map with roads labeled on our new lease (28000 acres) and are still getting pretty turned around in the daylight. Once season rolls around and we are driving at night, it will be a giant cluster #&@$#.

Also, in preparation of trying to get a map with roads, is there a service you guys know of that has recent updated sky view maps? Google earth on our lease has maps that are 6+ years old, and the map is fuzzy and doesnt have all the recent road upgrades.

Thanks in advance.
                        You can make your own map(using google earth) marking roads, blinds etc and save it to a Garmin GPS.

Worst case, down load Gaia, save map of area and use the tracking to map plot your trek in so you can follow it back to camp

Comment

Working...
                        X