Clear All

Look at those knees ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'd like to see some video of him waddling through the brush

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        His beams are getting long.
        That deer is over 13” wide. Is he on the hit list?

Comment

How Old Is He? Hard One

Great thread, love the info.

Makes me think of all the leases holding people to age requirements to kill a mature buck. Without a pictorial history of each individual deer I wonder how many are misjudged as too young even though they are not.

After a kill, do you ever try to make jawbone aging match the known age ? And if so, Do they match up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DaveC; 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

He wont score much. he does have some kickers off his brows. Bases are really heavy but you are right, he doesnt carry mass very well. Score isnt a determining factor in whether i let someone kill him though. I have much higher scoring deer to hunt myself.
            My reason for posting this is to get opinions on age and whether folks think he should be hitlisted if they got these pics on their place. aging deer this time of year is really hard for me. Lots of folks can do so with pretty good confidence. Not me..
            I totally agree with you. It is very difficult this time of year. I would say 5 and yes I would have him as a shooter for free range.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Great thread, love the info.

Makes me think of all the leases holding people to age requirements to kill a mature buck. Without a pictorial history of each individual deer I wonder how many are misjudged as too young even though they are not.

After a kill, do you ever try to make jawbone aging match the known age ? And if so, Do they match up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              In virtually every case, the teeth age the deer 2-4 years too young on the old geezers. That said, after seven or so, its just anyones guess on tooth aging anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                That deer is over 13” wide. Is he on the hit list?
                Yes he is close to 17 inside this year. Maybe on the hit list although he wont be hunted until or if another target deer is killed from the spot..

Comment

I would have called him 6 in the OP but I’ve seen too many of your threads and had an idea you knew all the answers to the questions you were asking. I love these threads and the wide range of answers. Thank you for posting

Comment

great thread, thanks for sharing and educating!

Comment

He's a lot older than we're giving him credit for. Look at all the war wounds he's got around his muzzle. He's gotta be pushing 6 1/2. B&W photos are crap for aging deer because they don't give you the benefit of the gray and black areas around his ocular sockets and other tell-tale places so they always look younger. He's def in his prime. WHACK HIM!!

Comment

Welllll......... I have been giving him another year for six years. He is an old deer I named Hytop he never amounted to much. As a matter of fact, he has his best rack to date this year.. as a KNOWN 9 year old.

The last few years i have been posting known age deer that got younger as they quit the rut. This is another great example of that as he looks considerably younger this year. I posted an old deer named Curly last year that did the same. the crazy thing is that the vast majority of this site would not have put him or Curly on the hit list. Maybe I wouldnt have either if i didnt have history.

The more i run cameras and study these east tx deer, the less i know..
                        I love it!! You're a sneaky one sir. lol

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperManATX View Post
                          He's a lot older than we're giving him credit for. Look at all the war wounds he's got around his muzzle. He's gotta be pushing 6 1/2. B&W photos are crap for aging deer because they don't give you the benefit of the gray and black areas around his ocular sockets and other tell-tale places so they always look younger. He's def in his prime. WHACK HIM!!
                          He isnt 6.5 but you may well be right about him being in his prime . he definately has his best rack this year as a 10 year old. By the way, there are some nice daylight pics of him on here.

Comment

Garguy, how is that buck you were chasing last year coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                              Garguy, how is that buck you were chasing last year coming along?
                              I dont have a recent pic of him. A couple of his buddies blew up though. Got a camera out now and should get pics of him soon.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X