No announcement yet.

How Old Is He? Hard One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha I knew the second round of pics would be coming. Gotta watch the Gar.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
      Haha I knew the second round of pics would be coming. Gotta watch the Gar.
      Im not trying be tricky, just educational.. If i got this years pics with no history, i would be tempted to call him a four year old.

Comment

The ancient old deer named Curly hasnt shown up yet this year. he was healthy in january so maybe hes still around.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Im not trying be tricky, just educational.. If i got this years pics with no history, i would be tempted to call him a four year old.
          Oh I know. We learn a lot from everything you post. Enjoy looking at all the threads. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            The 4.5 guesses give me a good laugh especially after seeing his pics from last year showing him a grandpa
            They gave me a pretty good chuckle myself.

Comment

Everyone knows a fella or two, that when they speak, you just shut up and listen. I'm fortunate. Know several people like this. On TBH, a garguy thread about ETX deer is treated the same. I sit on my hands, read and LEARN. there is a lesson coming, if it's not in the op, give it a few hrs, or even days, but the lesson is coming. I don't know Mr. Steve from Adam, and he may not know his rear from a hole in the ground when it comes to anything else in the world, but I'd sure love to spend an afternoon around a tailgate picking his brain on ETX deer and maybe even a little bowfishing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                Everyone knows a fella or two, that when they speak, you just shut up and listen. I'm fortunate. Know several people like this. On TBH, a garguy thread about ETX deer is treated the same. I sit on my hands, read and LEARN. there is a lesson coming, if it's not in the op, give it a few hrs, or even days, but the lesson is coming. I don't know Mr. Steve from Adam, and he may not know his rear from a hole in the ground when it comes to anything else in the world, but I'd sure love to spend an afternoon around a tailgate picking his brain on ETX deer and maybe even a little bowfishing.

LOL! You might have missed my last line in Post 56.

Seriously, the more history I gather the less Im sure of on old deer. I have always been of the opinion that 8yrs was pretty much the end for a buck here in east tx. Right now I have two that are 14 plus. At least i did a couple months ago. Havent had pics recently.

I once knew that a buck here had his frame established by 5. I have a cull 8pt that a kid missed year before last at five. Maybe a 110 inch 8pt. Last year at six, he blew up. He put on decent g4s for the first time in his life and went about 140. I put him off limits. This year he is BIG! Not likely to see how he looks next year. the fact is that I knew he was a junker at five and tried to get him killed.

I once thought the bucks I saw were very local. They may be missing for a few days but really regular. Now I realize through trail cams that those same deer go miles to another farm in another county and do it regularly.

I once thought that once a big buck went nocturnal, he would be almost impossible to kill. I have recently learned that the same deer can be pretty darn regular in broad daylight just inside the edge of his sanctuary. Some will just live in a dang corn pile if its located right yet never leave a picture at the feeder 50yds away.

i once thought that a large percentage of our bucks got killed in the DCNF every year. Totally wrong! Once they get 3 years old, they pretty much have the public hunters figured out. i get pics of the same deer, with some exceptions of course, year after year.

Anyway, what Im getting at is how dang little i actually know about these deer.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  LOL! You might have missed my last line in Post 56.

Seriously, the more history I gather the less Im sure of on old deer. I have always been of the opinion that 8yrs was pretty much the end for a buck here in east tx. Right now I have two that are 14 plus. At least i did a couple months ago. Havent had pics recently.

I once knew that a buck here had his frame established by 5. I have a cull 8pt that a kid missed year before last at five. Maybe a 110 inch 8pt. Last year at six, he blew up. He put on decent g4s for the first time in his life and went about 140. I put him off limits. This year he is BIG! Not likely to see how he looks next year. the fact is that I knew he was a junker at five and tried to get him killed.

I once thought the bucks I saw were very local. They may be missing for a few days but really regular. Now I realize through trail cams that those same deer go miles to another farm in another county and do it regularly.

I once thought that once a big buck went nocturnal, he would be almost impossible to kill. I have recently learned that the same deer can be pretty darn regular in broad daylight just inside the edge of his sanctuary. Some will just live in a dang corn pile if its located right yet never leave a picture at the feeder 50yds away.

i once thought that a large percentage of our bucks got killed in the DCNF every year. Totally wrong! Once they get 3 years old, they pretty much have the public hunters figured out. i get pics of the same deer, with some exceptions of course, year after year.

Anyway, what Im getting at is how dang little i actually know about these deer.
                  I know what you're saying. But your ability, willingness, and humility (may not be the exact word I'm looking for) to keep learning instead of thinking you know all, added to your willingness to share has taught me quite a bit. If nothing else, it's that I too, know very little.
                  Enough boosting your ego. [emoji13] post more pictures/stories and teach is something.

Comment

Great thread!!

Yup...when it comes to gar fishin, ETX deer and arrowheads.. GarGuy has my full attention. Thanks for the lesson!!

Comment

Old enough and definitely on the hit list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

That area looks familiar .

Comment

Originally posted by mmqbhunt View Post
                            That area looks familiar .
                            LOL i bet the deer does too!

Comment

We didnt shoot the deer(HyTop) in the op last year because a young giant showed up on the stand that i didnt want to risk educating. Anyway, here he this year at 10 solid years old. Still has a month plus of growing to do.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here is how he finished out last year and was his best horns to date. He should actually have his best rack ever this year at ten.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X