X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colt SAA... that is all... carry on
    Attached Files

Comment

I carry the .357 mag. The only thing I suggest is a double action so all you got to do is squeeze the trigger when your crawling through the brush. Same reason I don't carry a semi auto. Don't want brush to pull the trigger and if it ain't loaded it is worthless

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Phil View Post
        You need to let that ole girl stretch her legs. I've got the 586 (blued) version and can hit a soda can repeatedly at 50 yards standing, no rest. Those 586 \ 686s are some sweet shooting guns.
        I do like it. but I am not much of a pistol shooter, and don't trust the accuracy from myself. with the exception of one pig, all the animals I've shot with it were wounded. The oryx was really the most spectacular. It had been shot twice with a 300 win mag, and when I got up on it, I told the guy to shoot again.

his response - "I only brought two bullets!". it was about to get up and move, and I shot right in the center of the neck, and it dropped back down instantly. probably one of the coolest shots I've ever done, even if it was someone else's animal, and it was mortally wounded.

Comment

I have a Security Six and a SP101 357. Super Redhawk 480.

Comment

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rugers!! Super Black Hawk .44 mag, Black Hawk, .45, convert and .22 mag, convert
              Attached Files

Comment

Freedom arms 454 casull, Barrel length is your choice. Very well made revolver, and a cartridge that " will get it done"

Comment

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 28 .357 mag with a 6" barrel, but I think they quit making them in the 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddman View Post
                    I have a Smith & Wesson Model 28 .357 mag with a 6" barrel, but I think they quit making them in the 1980's.
                    Nice

Comment

So it sounds like you don't reload and your not that familiar with the recoil of the big magnums. There's a lot of good suggestions on here but unless you know what kind of recoil you can handle some of them are going to be bad choice. You also need to decide how far you plan on shooting and what you consider a size that you will carry.

Here's some general guidelines and ranges are realistic for the real world, yes you can drop a deer at 100+ yards with a .357 but the shot has to be near perfect. Don't forget you have to hit your target and most people use scopes past 75 yards.

.357 mag; very manageable recoil and easy to carry, try to keep shots 50 yards and under, it's usually considered the minimum caliber for what you are wanting to do.

45 LC; slow but a big chunk of lead, manageable recoil and easy carry size, 50 yards or less, just don't use cowboy loads, you can get souped up rounds from buffalo bore and the like that can bring it to near .44mag power but not all guns will handle it

.41 mag; will do almost everything a .44 mag will with slightly less recoil and flatter trajectory, 100 yards or so; harder to find guns and ammo; more than enough power for hogs or deer

.44mag; about the max most people can comfortably handle recoil wise, bigger gun than a .357 but they do make smaller 5 shots, 100 yards, only issue I have seen is some of the ammo won't expand on our smaller texas deer

454 Casull; most people that shoot mine laugh and put it down after a round or two, it's not bad if your used to shooting a .44, can push 150-200 yards, gun size is starting to get big, I prefer not to hip carry mine, will drop any thing in North America with proper bullets

.460; it's a 454 on steroids, gun size is too big IMHO

.500 S&W; the king of mass produced revolvers, huge gun with a lot of recoil

There are a few others, 357 max, .475, .480, ect but ammo is hard to find.

Where are you located? I'd let you shoot my pistols if you were in the Austin area. If not, there may be someone else in your area that's feeling nice. You can also rent revolvers at a lot of the ranges.

Comment

I live in round rock thanks for the advice

Comment

With the 454 casull you can shoot 45 long colt also. If you were to reload you can go from very mild, to very wild with one gun. I have shot elk with mine and works great. I would not try that with a 357. But with reduced loads in the casull you can get close to 357 power.
                          Last edited by critter69; 11-09-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Ammo can be had reasonably if you look.

Comment

Well from what I've seen 41 mag is almost the sam price as 500s&w for good ammo

Comment

Originally posted by Texifornia View Post
                                Colt SAA... that is all... carry on

What a pretty gun

Comment

Working...
                                X