*Calling Knife Makers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paintman View Post
    There was a follow along knife build thread on tbh a few years back,he went step by step through the whole process,very informative,can't remember who it was though
    Ryan Minchew?

Comment

Here's another good one by Nick Wheeler on bladeforums.

Comment

Good link, Sam. That Nick Wheeler is one of the most useful WIP on the web, ever. Many of the things I now do routinely came from that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
          Here's another good one by Nick Wheeler on bladeforums.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...metal-with-you
          Holy crap, thank guy is awesome!!

Thanks for the link.

Looking forward to this project with my son!

Comment

TXHUNT3R, you don't know what you are in for. Rewarding- yes, very much. Doing them for yourself, friends, family or donate, yes- very much.

Did I mention addicting? Make one, then you want to improve, 20 knives later- you still want to improve, 40 knives later- still improving. The knife is better than what you can buy at the box stores, but you cannot compete with their pricing. It's never ending.

Good luck, post pics, should be there mid week.

Take advantage of the offer to heat treat from CW, you should have enough small pieces from the blank if you want to try your own home forge treatment.

And- did I state it is addicting? Something made by you/son, of your own hands, that works and is better than the store brands, lasts a lifetime, memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              Paintman, did you let your associate sponsorship expire?
              Yes sir,I barely even log on anymore,Def don't sell on tbh ever again

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                Remember the two most common injuries occur when 1. drilling the blades and the drill press grabs the knife and spins it and 2. the biggest danger is the buffer. high speed buffers tend to grab and throw knives at high speeds

I would also highly recommend full face shields! GOOD LUCK!!!

I don't make knives but this is sound advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

TXHUNT3R, you don't know what you are in for. Rewarding- yes, very much. Doing them for yourself, friends, family or donate, yes- very much.

Did I mention addicting? Make one, then you want to improve, 20 knives later- you still want to improve, 40 knives later- still improving. The knife is better than what you can buy at the box stores, but you cannot compete with their pricing. It's never ending.

Good luck, post pics, should be there mid week.

Take advantage of the offer to heat treat from CW, you should have enough small pieces from the blank if you want to try your own home forge treatment.

And- did I state it is addicting? Something made by you/son, of your own hands, that works and is better than the store brands, lasts a lifetime, memories.
                  Can't wait to give it a go!!

Was talking with my son about it as I was putting him to bed... He said he wants his to be crazy with points all over it... I said, well lets just start simple and go from there!!

I will post pics for sure!!

Comment

Late to the party and not sure if it has been posted but this is the tutorial that was the most informative for me. It literally walks you through every step of making a knife by hand with the most detail. I still go back and reread it every now and then.

So You want to make a knife... The purpose of this tutorial is to assist you in accomplishing this goal. I'm here to show you how to utilize commonly available tools to turn this kit into a great knife-...

Remember safety first and wear respirators when grinding/sanding.

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
                      Late to the party and not sure if it has been posted but this is the tutorial that was the most informative for me. It literally walks you through every step of making a knife by hand with the most detail. I still go back and reread it every now and then.

So You want to make a knife... The purpose of this tutorial is to assist you in accomplishing this goal. I'm here to show you how to utilize commonly available tools to turn this kit into a great knife-...

Remember safety first and wear respirators when grinding/sanding.

Akey, I wish you'd post knives more. I used to love looking at your knives.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                        Akey, I wish you'd post knives more. I used to love looking at your knives.

Slowwwwly getting back to it. Doing a lot of remodeling to my house. My garage is almost done and ready to be set up as my new shop/project cave.

Comment

TXHUNT3R, these will be in the mail Monday. 8.5 inches of 1084 5/32 thick, 1.5 inches wide. This is high carbon steel, not stainless.

Enough Lowes 3/16 brass rod for 2 or 3 pins, I'd recommend only using 2.

Two stabilized mesquite scales

Enough 6-7 oz veg tanned leather to make a basic sheath.

Couple small scraps of kydex, just for tinkering. In the long run, kydex is much easier, quicker, and just about mistake proof. I don't use it much, I have a hard time putting a piece of plastic on a knife.

Some of the best stuff I've seen on youtube is Walter Sorrells.

Enjoy!

I got your package yesterday but I went hunting and by the time I got the hog cleaned and on ice, it was the kids bed time so we didn't get a chance to open it together.

I have a soccer game tonight and then when I get home, we are going to open it!!!

I want him to see his name and open it

Comment

One more thang for safety first!! Cocobolo wood is toxic also called rosewood in other countries - only toxic when breathing the sawdust, titanium causes vanadium poisoning - Very Lethal! Working tigers eye = Asbestos poisoning, Quartz = silicosis, carbon fiber remains in your lungs for the rest of your days - body can't process it. stabilized products = resin poisoning, might be or get allergic to nickel. The biggest culprit here is particulate - most 2 stage respirators will protect you from ALL of these contaminents provided they are changed regularly. Here's the kicker though what really hurts you is particulate smaller than 3 micron - these particles remain in the 'shop' air for hours!! Open them doors up and let the air flow!! I do this in in 20 degree weather because I know what this **** will do to ya!!! Stay Sharp!!

Comment

^^ oh wow, thanks!!

Comment

Finally got around to opening the package with my son last night when I got home from my Soccer game!

I showed him it was addressed to him and he wanted to know who the sender was so I explained (he said Mr. Doug is a nice man) lol. As he opened it, he said "IT'S A FORGED IN FIRE KIT".

He was so excited and played with the contents for a good 20 mins before he was dragged to bed... lol

Thanks Doug, paypal-ing you here in a sec.

He also wondered when I would be picking up a grinder so we can get started!!! Can't wait!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X