Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 700 270 win rebuild? Which caliber to build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model 700 270 win rebuild? Which caliber to build?

I have a 270 win adl sitting around at the house that we never shoot I had got it in a trade, I'm wanting to use the action for a rebuild my question is what calibers can I build with this action and what are some good calibers that I should consider building. I currently have a few 30-06 rifles, a 25-06.

6.5 x 284 ?

Comment

I've actually been looking pretty hard at that caliber tonight.

Comment

225 Winchester, 22/250 Remingtion, 6mm Norma BR, 243 Win, 250 Savage, 260 Rem,
        6.5/284 Norma, 7/08 Rem, 284 win, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 35 Rem, and
        the 358 Winchester.

220 Swift, 6mm Rem, 240 Weatherby Mag, 257 Roberts, 25-06 Rem,
        6.5x55 Swedish, 270 Win, 7x57 Mauser, 7x64 Brenneke, 280 Rem, 30/06 Springfield,
        8mm Mauser, 338/06 A Square, and the 35 Whelen

Comment

6.5-06 AI
          35 Whelen would be the top of my list

Comment

280AI...Many options in a standard long action but few will do it as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post
              35 Whelen would be the top of my list
              This because it's cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                280AI...Many options in a standard long action but few will do it as well...

I didn't go the AI route but when my 270 was worked over I went with the standard .280 and couldn't be happier with it.

Comment

Thank y'all for the advice

Comment

.280 Rem is an awesome cartridge that nobody has because they already have a .270.

Comment

35 wheelen

Comment

22-6mm. Fast twist barrel and heavy bullets. It is one rifle I will never part with.

Comment

None of the calibers mentioned really "beat" .270, except maybe the .35 Whelen and the .338/06, and then only on larger game. I'd get a varied selection of handloading components, (or ammo) mount some decent optics on the rifle, if it doesn't already have them, bed it, if it needs it (lots of 700's need to be), or re stock it, and just see how well it will perform. Lots of factory barrels perform well when fed ammo they like and out of a properly bedded rifle. IMHO.

Comment

Well - what will I get to shoot in the future ?

Comment

.375 Gibbs would be my choice for high horsepower on the 30/06 case....

Comment

Working...
                              X