No announcement yet.

River Radio Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built one about 20 years ago out of 2 big horse water trough buckets for floating down the Guadalupe. Had 6 6x9 speakers with a big amp and marine battery. That thing would jam! Fun times

Comment

Depending on how loud you play it, I doubt that battery will last very log without draining it too low and damaging it. You could either add more small feeder batteries in parallel or get a bigger battery from a lawn tractor.
      Attached Files

Comment

ahhh, memories...

Here is the one I built years ago. Sold it last year. Still working just fine.

Comment

I guess I'm the old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn, but why do you need to hear it from 100 yards away?
          And are you not concerned about the noise pollution to all the other folks wanting to enjoy floating a river, etc. without hearing your music?
          LOL! I'm the same way. But the OP said he's not going to play it that loud.

I've been floating the rivers in the Hill Country all my life...never needed music, the sound of the water and conversation with friends and the sounds of beer being opened was all I ever needed.

But, to each their own just don't make me listen to your music

Good job OP...put some thought into that contraption.

Comment

So how long did the battery last?

Comment

I think that amp will drain the crap out of it

Comment

Very nice! You might want to put a thin line of soft caulk around the top of the cooler's opening edge, along with some latches for the lid, for a better water seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                  LOL! I'm the same way. But the OP said he's not going to play it that loud.

I've been floating the rivers in the Hill Country all my life...never needed music, the sound of the water and conversation with friends and the sounds of beer being opened was all I ever needed.

But, to each their own just don't make me listen to your music

Good job OP...put some thought into that contraption.
                  I'm the same way and have yelled at a few kids and adults on The Frio that thought they were riding along The Local Strip in their Truck or Escalade riding on 22's. I hear that crap enough in town and on the road, let me and my family relax and enjoy getting OUT of the city.

Comment

I've got a 1000watt amp in my River cooler piped to 2 speakers, and a 400w piped to two more... all running off my 'music' cell phone using either a USB cord or bluetooth (depending what mood I'm in)
                    I run a garden tractor battery, with a solar panel.. (but i plug it in the charger at the trailer in evenings.)
                    Its loud as hell..sounds great, and i get a ton of compliments, people wanting to know how its built.., and had some of other floaters shut theirs off to listen to ours..
                    just gotta play the right music.. (no rap, no metal, - just old country/new country/texas country/aggie war hymn/ 70's/80's rock)

it runs all day and into the night - no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Setxbowhunter58 View Post
                      So I put a solar panel on my ice chest radio. Should I have to worry about charging the battery still or should this do? Never messed around with solar panels. Anybody done this before?[ATTACH]863229[/ATTACH]
                      Nice job on that!!

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      I've got a 1000watt amp in my River cooler piped to 2 speakers, and a 400w piped to two more... all running off my 'music' cell phone using either a USB cord or bluetooth (depending what mood I'm in)
                      I run a garden tractor battery, with a solar panel.. (but i plug it in the charger at the trailer in evenings.)
                      Its loud as hell..sounds great, and i get a ton of compliments, people wanting to know how its built.., and had some of other floaters shut theirs off to listen to ours..
                      just gotta play the right music.. (no rap, no metal, - just old country/new country/texas country/aggie war hymn/ 70's/80's rock)

it runs all day and into the night - no issues.
                      Thanks for the real world info... What does a decent 400W amp go for??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Nice job on that!!

Thanks for the real world info... What does a decent 400W amp go for??
                        think i picked it up on amazon for $100? been a while... had this box a long *** time..

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                          I guess I'm the old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn, but why do you need to hear it from 100 yards away?
                          And are you not concerned about the noise pollution to all the other folks wanting to enjoy floating a river, etc. without hearing your music?
                          This is why I don't go to the river anymore. I miss the days without Bluetooth and waterproof radios

Comment

Working...
                          X