Drive way slope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive way slope?

So we ran into some issues with our land and had to move our house over, now it is 6.5' out of level and we're having a pad built.. it's a lot cheaper to have the garage side on out left facing the neighbors but would prefer it to go on the right where there is no neighbors. The dirt work guy asked how far I want to go out from the garage so he can figure up the price. So how far out should I go? I don't want to be going into my garage at a 45 but I know there is gonna be some slope..

What do you mean by "6.5' out of level"? If the pad height is 6.5' higher than your "base" point, i'd stop right now and reevaluate. If you're build a driveway ramp from "0" to plus 6.5', your going to need about 40' of ramp, at a minimum. That'll be a bunch of fill that could subside, etc., etc.

Depending on your budget constraints, you might consider dropping the garage some. Think this through and weigh your options. Once it's done, you're saddled with it.

Comment

Have them drop the garage floor a few inches.

Comment

Sometimes I have to drop my garages 2 boards at the plate and 1 at the bump but you will have more steps into the house. I typically do not "build" a pad, but instead scrape the organic, cut slightly on the high side, then back fill the low side of the slab after the forms are removed. Quite a bit of dirt is usually generated from the beams and septic. FYI I usually am not dealing with 6.5 foot, but the hand full of times I did, it was at the rear of the house where a pool was later installed. Driveway would have approximately a 20 foot relatively flat area and possibly a hammerhead, and then slope up or down depending on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
          What do you mean by "6.5' out of level"? If the pad height is 6.5' higher than your "base" point, i'd stop right now and reevaluate. If you're build a driveway ramp from "0" to plus 6.5', your going to need about 40' of ramp, at a minimum. That'll be a bunch of fill that could subside, etc., etc.

Depending on your budget constraints, you might consider dropping the garage some. Think this through and weigh your options. Once it's done, you're saddled with it.
          Yes we had to move the house, it's 90' long and if you start on the left at the ground you are 6 1/2' above the ground at the other end...

Comment

Working...
          X