Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
fishingsetx
Ten Point
 
fishingsetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: silsbee, tx
Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx
Default Help with cheap AR pistol and decent AR rifle builds

Never been an AR guy, but hopefully that is about to change. Just picked up 2 AeroPrecision stripped lowers. This is all I have at the moment so ill be buying/ordering everything else.

First one I want to build is a dirt cheap 300 BLK pistol. This will be used and abused, ride in the back floorboard of my truck, in the dust and mud on the ranger, get wet, dirty, and just flat out abused. Basically something to grab when running across hogs, yotes, or other vermin that need taken out. Accuracy goals are killing critters out to 100-125 yds. I dont want/need fancy. I plan to keep it iron sights or maybe a cheap red dot.

Second build will be a standard 5.56/223, 16" barrel, etc. Nothing fancy, just functional. I plan to mount a night scope on this one for hogs/predators out to 150 yds.

Basically looking for recommendations on parts, vendors, etc. Ive been browsing PSA, but wondering if there are better deals out there. I also have some amazon gift cards so anything I can order from there is a plus!



Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsetx View Post
Never been an AR guy, but hopefully that is about to change. Just picked up 2 AeroPrecision stripped lowers. This is all I have at the moment so ill be buying/ordering everything else.

First one I want to build is a dirt cheap 300 BLK pistol. This will be used and abused, ride in the back floorboard of my truck, in the dust and mud on the ranger, get wet, dirty, and just flat out abused. Basically something to grab when running across hogs, yotes, or other vermin that need taken out. Accuracy goals are killing critters out to 100-125 yds. I dont want/need fancy. I plan to keep it iron sights or maybe a cheap red dot.

Second build will be a standard 5.56/223, 16" barrel, etc. Nothing fancy, just functional. I plan to mount a night scope on this one for hogs/predators out to 150 yds.

Basically looking for recommendations on parts, vendors, etc. Ive been browsing PSA, but wondering if there are better deals out there. I also have some amazon gift cards so anything I can order from there is a plus!



Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!


Sign up for their newsletter and you will get the weekend deals emails. I picked up a 16 inch 5.56 1:7 twist complete upper (without BCG) for 330$ through that email. Pretty hard to beat for what you are wanting.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
jefandaward
Ten Point
 
jefandaward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Steuben, Michigan
Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest
Default

Keep an eye on Texas Gun Trader, there are cheap uppers there all the time
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
fishingsetx
Ten Point
 
fishingsetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: silsbee, tx
Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx
Default

Found this one on PSA. What am I missing? Sure seems cheap.


http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-...-ch-39236.html
Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
oneisnone
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsetx View Post
Found this one on PSA. What am I missing? Sure seems cheap.


http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-...-ch-39236.html
Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
No bolt carrier group or charging handle. Thereís another $125-$300. The included hand guard canít be used for attaching accessories. To swap it out will require a new handrail and a new gas block.
oneisnone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneisnone View Post
No bolt carrier group or charging handle. Thereís another $125-$300. The included hand guard canít be used for attaching accessories. To swap it out will require a new handrail and a new gas block.


Not necessarily. There are plenty of carbine length hand guards out there. A magpul handguard allows attachment of accessories with their MOE rails. Even a Troy Alpha rail will fit this but will require removal of front sight to install unlike magpul.

And BCG ( nickel boron) and CH were on sale this weekend at PSA for 89$ for both.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Sidro
Six Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Sanders Armory, great people to do business with.
Sidro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default Help with cheap AR pistol and decent AR rifle builds

Iíve had good luck dealing with primary arms in Pearland. Plus they always have a good sale going on.

100 yards with a 300BLK pistol is doable, but I would probably keep shots closer to 50-75 until you get a decent amount of trigger time.
tommy1005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
lbbf
Ten Point
 
lbbf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Jackson
Default

I love Aero lowers and uppers! If you are looking to build an upper, I really like Rock River barrels. Very accurate. For a budget I bought a 16" stainless Bear Creek Arsenal barrel from Primary Arms that was on sale for $50. I have been very impressed with it so far.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
tpepper70
Ten Point
 
tpepper70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Caldwell co, Frio co
Default

PSA, Primary Arms, Joe Bob Outfitters and more. You can find most anything you want if you're patient and look around. I built my nephew a 6.8 SPC for right at $500 with scope. Mostly used parts, but they work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
tpepper70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
fishingsetx
Ten Point
 
fishingsetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: silsbee, tx
Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx
Default

Went with PSA, bought the stuff for a 7.5" 300 BLK pistol and a 18" 223 wylde rifle!



Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
nacohunter
Four Point
 
nacohunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nacogdoches county
Hunt In: Nacogdoches County, Cherokee County, Runnels County, Rusk County
Default

check this as many times per day as you can:

https://gun.deals/today
nacohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com