Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a good day, Having to put my buddy down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 3 year old blue heeler attacked my 8 year old neighbor yesterday evening in my driveway. Their son had been over to my house hundreds of times, played with the dog, my son, etc and it was never an issue. All the neighborhood kids have been over and Ruger has never paid them any mind except to be petted or played with. Never showed a single sign of aggression, even to strangers, strange dogs, delivery men, etc.

yesterday, the 8 year old rode his scooter into the driveway to play with my son and nephew who were playing at the end of my driveway (120' from the garage). Ruger was in the garage and just made a bee line for him and attacked. Luckily it wasnt more serious, but he did end up at the ER with multiple puncture wounds to his calf, knee, and two on the back of his arm.

I know Ruger has to be put down (not ordered, but my choice). I cant take that risk with a 4 year old and another baby due in march, not to mention all yhe kids in the neighborhood. Even keeping him locked up isnt an option due to the chance of him getting out or one of the kids coming in. I wont take the chance of rehoming him and him doing it to someone else. Still doesnt make it easier. My guess is he was just protecting my son from a precieved threat, but that is still no excuse and he is still a danger in my mind. My son will take it the hardest because Ruger is his buddy and they do everything together. He will be devistated.

Sorry for the long read, but I just had to vent somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thats tough but I would do the same.

Comment

That's a tough spot to be in and I don't envy you one bit but I would do the same thing given the situation. I've never owned a blue heeler but have been around a lot of them and that seems so out of character with the ones I've known.

Comment

Ouch thats a hard one to handle but needs to be done. Good for you on doing the right thing although it still sucks and sorry your having to do it.

Comment

Tough call to make for sure, but I would have to concur with your decision.

Comment

Sorry to hear that..

Comment

Tough call but I can't say I disagree. I would take a minute and consider finding him a home with no kids and full disclosure to any potential new owner. There may be a suitable place for him. Either way, sorry for your loss.

Comment

If you change your mind, I know someone that might take him in. I live in a college neighborhood with no young kids around, risk would be lower. Hate to see you have to put a good dog down.

Comment

Before I killed my dog I'd see if someone out in the country wants him.

Comment

They are a known territorial breed and I did everything I could to mitigate that by socializing him every chance I got. I took him everywhere with me I could, kept him around kids, dogs, etc. the only dog he ever had an issue with was owned by the family of the boy he bit. the dog was across the street in their yard (approx 100 yds away) when he attacked so it wasnt the dog, but maybe it was a my pack/your pack mentality. I just dont know what brought it on and probably never will. Ruger is was an awesome dog, one of the best ive ever owned, but there is no way he can stay here. I am VERY leery of rehoming him. I couldnt live with myself if he did it again especially if it was a more serious attack. Luckily we have a good relationship with our neighbor and they chose not to press charges. I was headed to take care of it myself last night when the neighbor called to ask me to wait until they were through at the ER in case they needed to quarenteine him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

So sorry, but you're doing the right thing. Has always been my personal thoughts on my dogs. I've just been fortunate in that I've never had to do it.

Comment

Man, that is a tough deal.

Comment

Sounds like he was doing what he is supposed to. Healers are smart, and I don't believe he just ran and bit the boy for no reason. We'll never know why he did it because we don't understand dogs. Little boy could have had the scent of the dog on him, and the wind was just right. The scooter loud?? Could he have perceived it as a threat to your son?? This is all just my opinion, and I respect any decision you make. Does sound like he would make a jam up pet, for someone in the country, without kids.

Comment

Has he ever seen a person on a scooter before? My guess is the scooter was the trigger. Then, biting because it's a herding breed with a strong biting instinct...but you didn't say where the bites occurred (face, hands vs. legs.)
                            Hard decision...I'm sorry that it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              Has he ever seen a person on a scooter before? My guess is the scooter was the trigger. Then, biting because it's a herding breed with a strong biting instinct...but you didn't say where the bites occurred (face, hands vs. legs.)
                              Hard decision...I'm sorry that it happened.
                              Says multiple puncture wounds to knee, calf, and back of arm.

Comment

Working...
                              X